Honored Contributor

Re: Purging Clutter...AGAIN!

@Snicks1 wrote:
As to the purging of the excess; I find the older and more daily pain I am in, I want less and less "stuff", in all categories.
I am giving myself one more day of relaxation, tomorrow, then will start, and hope my momentum carries me through the entire house.
It will be interesting to see how much I can donate this year. I do donate at least monthly, just not in quantity, just a few items at a time.
I think I mentioned that I did a big cleanout of my closet over the summer, but I know I have more I can thin out.
It will be an eye opener to see how we all do with our "joint" project, I believe.
I am another who will not be buying, at least in the near future, including CIJ.

@Snicks1  Yes, we will find comfort and motivation in numbers here.  We can do it together.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes to purging!  And No to buying  more containers of any kind!!!!  This bag is full of the unnecessary!FullSizeRender.jpg

Trusted Contributor

This is a great thread and so timely for me.  I've been trying to get into the purge state of mind for quite a while now, reading books and minmalist type blogs.  I've lived in this house for almost 30 years, so no incentive like moving to help get rid of things.  I will retire in 2 (!!!) days and I'm thinking, what if I want to move out of the area, or even into a smaller, more maintenance free house.  I look around and say "Yikes".  I'm going to start with the easy things (for me) which is clothing.  Then kitchen stuff.  The decor stuff, especially Christmas, will be the hardest.  I can use all the help I can get, so I hope this thread continues.

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva, Congratulations on retirement! That is awesome. My first year into retirement I was like a crazed person, going through "stuff", donating a ton of stuff, trashing a lot more, etc. Enjoy your retirement, whatever you choose about moving.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Yes to purging!  And No to buying  more containers of any kind!!!!  This bag is full of the unnecessary!FullSizeRender.jpg

@Shawnie  I tried to foist my abundant Lock & Lock onto my college daughter, but she told me, no, she had enough, lol.  I had bought some for her for that Christmas in her colors, but tried to give her mine.  What was I thinking getting so much!

Trusted Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
@DecorDiva, Congratulations on retirement! That is awesome. My first year into retirement I was like a crazed person, going through "stuff", donating a ton of stuff, trashing a lot more, etc. Enjoy your retirement, whatever you choose about moving.

Thank you snicks!  It will be different after working for 35 years.  I'm most looking forward to not doing the commute (northern VA towards DC).  What was your motivation to keep you going for a year?  I don't plan on moving any time soon, but I certainly couldn't given the amount of stuff I have now!

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@Shawnie  I tried to foist my abundant Lock & Lock onto my college daughter, but she told me, no, she had enough, lol.  I had bought some for her for that Christmas in her colors, but tried to give her mine.  What was I thinking getting so much!

IT is not us it is Lock n Lock.  YOu have to buy sets when all you really want is one or two pieces in the set!!!  

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@Snicks1 wrote:

Thank you snicks!  It will be different after working for 35 years.  I'm most looking forward to not doing the commute (northern VA towards DC).  What was your motivation to keep you going for a year?  I don't plan on moving any time soon, but I certainly couldn't given the amount of stuff I have now!

@DecorDiva, I retired at the end of September, 5 years ago. So I started right in with working on our very large yard (5 lots) with leaves and Fall cleanup, then took time off for a short trip in Oct., then back to the leaves, then Thanksgiving plans. Early Dec. of that year we went on a trip which was a retirement gift from my boss. By the time we got back it was nearly Christmas time, or at least shopping, decorating, baking etc. So, then after the first of the year, I started going through everything in every room of the house, along with extra deep cleaning along with it. By the time I got through it was time to start my gardening plans, and so it went.....from one thing right into the next. I found the first year or maybe even two that I was busy enough to wonder how I ever had time to hold down a job, lol. I did lots of little things that just kept getting put to the side while I was working, for when I had more time. 

Good luck to you, I'm sure you will stay busy and enjoy having the time, for yourself, very much.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Shawnie  I think most folks have excess containers. Looks like you have a good haul you purged...WTG!!! Smiley Happy