Trusted Contributor

How can I get rust/lime out of bottom of toilet?

I've tried rust removers, brillo, and Lime Away.  Can't remove it.  Thanks for any help.

Super Contributor

Re: How can I get rust/lime out of bottom of toilet?

A pumice stone might work.  The ones for toilets are usually with the bathroom cleaners. Hope it works for you.

Regular Contributor

I have had really good luck w/ a liquid toilet bowl cleaner called The Works. I let it sit in the bowl for a couple of hours and then brush and flush. I used it for hard water stains so I am not sure about rust but it's worth a try. I also recommend trying a scouring pumice stone. 

Honored Contributor

Some times when rust has been there a while you just cant get rid of it.  If you dont use that toilet regular, let a rust remover sit for several days to a week, scrub, flush and repeat as many times as needed to see if this works.  Also you can try to buy some water softner salt to put in it and the tank, that would probably help a lot.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@newjersey,  regular Clorox chlorine bleach may be worth a try.  I agree with the pumice stone suggestion too which may be helpful regardless of what cleaner you are using.  As for cleaners labeled toilet bowl cleanser one of the best I've ever used is Don Aslett's Foaming Bowl Cleaner which QVC sells.  I've used nothing else in my bowls, except bleach every now and then, since discovering this product about 5 or 6 years ago.  One bottle lasts for months.  Before this product I used to clean my toilet bowl everyday.  With the Aslett product the bowl looks and smells clean for a week. If cleaning toilets isn't your thing you may be able to stretch that, but due to my complusion for cleaning, I clean the bowl at least twice a week. 

Trusted Contributor

@Deb665 wrote:

A pumice stone might work.  The ones for toilets are usually with the bathroom cleaners. Hope it works for you.

These work really well. I had to use one when I didn't realize my scrubber had rusted a bit. Needless to say I scrubbed a rust line right into the bowl. Not sure if regular stores sell them. I think I got mine at Home Depot.

Valued Contributor

Buy the Lysol liquid toilet bowl cleaner in the brown bottle.  Pour alot in the bowl and let it set for at least a few hours.  Then scrub with a brush.  Sometimes toilets get like that because the toilet isn't used very often.  It would help if you can flush the toilet often even if it's not used.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is going to sound weird but I'm going to suggest it anyway in case nothing else works. I've used coca cola very successfully getting rust stains out of beige carpeting. Soooooooo, I'm wondering if taking the water level down (ya know, flush then close valve) and pouring a can of coke in and letting it sit then scrubbing would do the trick.

Trusted Contributor

@newjersey A product named CLR works pretty good. The iniitals stand for calcium, lime and rust remover.As suggested previously chlorine bleach may go a long way or the pumice stones.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We once had a big buildup of hard-water deposits in one toilet that was seldom used, and plumber strongly recommended against using some of the harsh products on the market  (such as CLR, a popular cleaner which stands for Calcium Lime, Rust).

Instead, he advised bailing water out of the toilet and letting vinegar  soak in for a while.

Don't know how well that would work for your particular stains, but a web search shows a variety of products which might work.

against rust, etc.

For routine  cleaning and gentle but somewhat tough scrubbing of  toilets,  I really like the Clorox wands that come in a package with   little bleach-containing scrubbers, which attach to the wand and can be thrown out after use.  So simple to use.

I don't think using Coca-Cola sounds weird as a solution, either.  That drink contains a lot of phosphoric acid that can  even dissolve teeth if you put teeth in a jar of Coke and let them sit for a while. Probably works great on stains!