Honored Contributor

Re: Purging Clutter...AGAIN!

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo  I have decided that I am a hunter/gatherer, i.e. hoarder, LOL thus the clutter situation

@mousiegirl  Yes, I am a hunter/gatherer too, (sounds nicer than hoarder) but therein lies the problem.  I tell you I've added so much stuff this year that it's so much more than I've donated.

We'll see if I can clear this house of so much baggage.  I had a tough time of deciding what to use this time for decorating because there is so much.  I just want to trim it down to a more managable size in storage.

I cannot buy decor in 2018.  I can buy new sheets, towels, comforters, dish towels, rugs and the like, which I don't need either, but no decor.  Wish me luck.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

Good job Susan.  You have to get into the mindset and you are half way there.  My taste in decor changed over the last year.  I bought a handful of new items this year that made me take stock of what I have.  Storage space isn't a problem, but I don't want to have more than can fit in the designated area.  My winter goal is to cut back the decor by 1/4.  I want to be able to see everything at a glance.  

Can't part with my valerie square mg pedestals, love them.  I use the brown and champagne often.  The round ones with the mirror on top can go.

@GCR18 @Susan Louise  I understand that we all have different items that fit into our spaces but our goals are the same, to reduce the overload. It was such a hassle for me to decide what to use to decorate this year so I have stuff everywhere, what I used and what I unpacked but didn't have need for.  So now it's almost time to pack up and I'm determined it won't all go back into storage. It's way colder than it should be so hard to work in the unheated garage this week but hoping to next week.  I do hope we can be better this year than last in the buying vein, me anyway, for sure.

@GCR18, I love those square pedestals too but I have those, round ones, plain ones, sets of three all in several colors, plus ones from other places. I have several sets of clear glass pedestals from other stores, numerous other types of pedestals.  I have to ask myself how many does one woman need. I've lost my mind with pedestals. I recently got Jill's Hobnail pedestals, H215228, in cream to use with the cream Magnolias and the Bronze ones too.  So, I have to part with some of them but not my Valerie square ones.  Smiley Happy

@lucymo  Those square pedestals are wonderful for your home! You have great large spaces and a fabulous diningroom table to put them on. If we had your home I wouldn't get rid of them either.

You have quite the pedestal collection. I remembered seeing Jill's hobnail ones but chose to get VPH's Cardinal/wreath ones instead...the ones with the ole' stink eye I had to fix...LOL

I was going to use them this year but chose the plain white ones for either side of the tv instead. Funny how I totally forgot about them til now, so I bought 5 sets of pedestals this year...not just 4. Feel comforted in knowing you are not alone in pedestal madness! So getting rid of the 6 sets of 3 MG ones and 2 sets of 2 sets of square MG was quite liberating.

Overall my pedestal collection is down to 8...2 natural, 2 white, Cardinal/Wreath, and the 3 sets gold/silver/chocolate of the MG with the inserts....a fairly reasonable amount to be able to change decor out without being overwhelming. I figure I also have the set of 3 VPH trays in white and gold which serve the purpose of lifting/changing heights so absolutely plenty of options in that category!

My wreaths are down to just 3...that is HUGE for me! They are H212754, H212806 and from 4-5 yrs ago the H203453 which I still love and use the tree from the same set often.

I have also found that by taking pics every year of the set up of all the decor from season to season, I have an easier time of letting go of some things. I keep them all organized by year/season in a folder on my desktop making it easily accessible too.

For example, having a pic I took of when I decorated with the large Dicken's Caroler's cloche, it helped me to let go of all 3 of the cloches. Even though I never used the church cloche, having the great small white wooden church this year which I love (and see myself using for many years) it became an easy purge.

As you mentioned, we all have different things to purge, but I hope I gave you some ideas on what might help in the process of letting go. Truly, taking pics is really great because it allows you to still see the piece without taking up prime real estate Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Well, I've been asking myself the question, 'when is it too much of the same thing", and I've decided that the pedestals are way over the reasonable limit so some have to go. I also have one set of the ones with the beaded fruit spray on them that Jill brought. I've never liked them so they will definitely go to a new home.

Yes, you have helped me a lot by telling what you purged and it didn't hurt you too much so I can do it too.  I really think we all enabled each other to some degree. But I'm just stiffled by too much baggage that isn't being used.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@lucymo  I think half the population are collectors, because they're comfortable with that and the other half get nervous when stuff piles up, because they're uncomfortable with that. It helps that my dad was military, neat as a pin, and a machinist - who freaked out around clutter. His psychology used to drive me nuts, but as an adult -- I'm a milder version of him. When he passed, his apartment was so easy to clear out. (Thank, dad) Husband's first five years were on grandparents' big farmhouse in Arkansas. Lots of outbuildings, lots of clutter bug stuff. We've been managing our differences for 38 years. Smiley Embarassed The big Compromise.     

@jeanlake  My DH is a retired USAF veteran.  I think the military life did a reversal on me.  I didn't collect much while he was active duty as we moved a lot and maybe when I could, I went overboard. Anyway, it's getting to the point of being a nuisance rather than a pleasure, so time to reduce the stock pile.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo  I have decided that I am a hunter/gatherer, i.e. hoarder, LOL thus the clutter situation

@mousiegirl  Yes, I am a hunter/gatherer too, (sounds nicer than hoarder) but therein lies the problem.  I tell you I've added so much stuff this year that it's so much more than I've donated.

We'll see if I can clear this house of so much baggage.  I had a tough time of deciding what to use this time for decorating because there is so much.  I just want to trim it down to a more managable size in storage.

I cannot buy decor in 2018.  I can buy new sheets, towels, comforters, dish towels, rugs and the like, which I don't need either, but no decor.  Wish me luck.  LOL

@lucymo  I shouldn't buy anything, no room at the inn, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

Good job Susan.  You have to get into the mindset and you are half way there.  My taste in decor changed over the last year.  I bought a handful of new items this year that made me take stock of what I have.  Storage space isn't a problem, but I don't want to have more than can fit in the designated area.  My winter goal is to cut back the decor by 1/4.  I want to be able to see everything at a glance.  

Can't part with my valerie square mg pedestals, love them.  I use the brown and champagne often.  The round ones with the mirror on top can go.

@GCR18 @Susan Louise  I understand that we all have different items that fit into our spaces but our goals are the same, to reduce the overload. It was such a hassle for me to decide what to use to decorate this year so I have stuff everywhere, what I used and what I unpacked but didn't have need for.  So now it's almost time to pack up and I'm determined it won't all go back into storage. It's way colder than it should be so hard to work in the unheated garage this week but hoping to next week.  I do hope we can be better this year than last in the buying vein, me anyway, for sure.

@GCR18, I love those square pedestals too but I have those, round ones, plain ones, sets of three all in several colors, plus ones from other places. I have several sets of clear glass pedestals from other stores, numerous other types of pedestals.  I have to ask myself how many does one woman need. I've lost my mind with pedestals. I recently got Jill's Hobnail pedestals, H215228, in cream to use with the cream Magnolias and the Bronze ones too.  So, I have to part with some of them but not my Valerie square ones.  Smiley Happy

@lucymo  Those square pedestals are wonderful for your home! You have great large spaces and a fabulous diningroom table to put them on. If we had your home I wouldn't get rid of them either.

You have quite the pedestal collection. I remembered seeing Jill's hobnail ones but chose to get VPH's Cardinal/wreath ones instead...the ones with the ole' stink eye I had to fix...LOL

I was going to use them this year but chose the plain white ones for either side of the tv instead. Funny how I totally forgot about them til now, so I bought 5 sets of pedestals this year...not just 4. Feel comforted in knowing you are not alone in pedestal madness! So getting rid of the 6 sets of 3 MG ones and 2 sets of 2 sets of square MG was quite liberating.

Overall my pedestal collection is down to 8...2 natural, 2 white, Cardinal/Wreath, and the 3 sets gold/silver/chocolate of the MG with the inserts....a fairly reasonable amount to be able to change decor out without being overwhelming. I figure I also have the set of 3 VPH trays in white and gold which serve the purpose of lifting/changing heights so absolutely plenty of options in that category!

My wreaths are down to just 3...that is HUGE for me! They are H212754, H212806 and from 4-5 yrs ago the H203453 which I still love and use the tree from the same set often.

I have also found that by taking pics every year of the set up of all the decor from season to season, I have an easier time of letting go of some things. I keep them all organized by year/season in a folder on my desktop making it easily accessible too.

For example, having a pic I took of when I decorated with the large Dicken's Caroler's cloche, it helped me to let go of all 3 of the cloches. Even though I never used the church cloche, having the great small white wooden church this year which I love (and see myself using for many years) it became an easy purge.

As you mentioned, we all have different things to purge, but I hope I gave you some ideas on what might help in the process of letting go. Truly, taking pics is really great because it allows you to still see the piece without taking up prime real estate Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Well, I've been asking myself the question, 'when is it too much of the same thing", and I've decided that the pedestals are way over the reasonable limit so some have to go. I also have one set of the ones with the beaded fruit spray on them that Jill brought. I've never liked them so they will definitely go to a new home.

Yes, you have helped me a lot by telling what you purged and it didn't hurt you too much so I can do it too.  I really think we all enabled each other to some degree. But I'm just stiffled by too much baggage that isn't being used.

@lucymo  I remember Jill presenting that set many times and although I love the sugared/beaded fruit overall, I think it was the particular red bow that I just didn't care for. 

I also edited a small paragraph in my post about the wreaths:

My Christmas/holiday wreaths are down to just 3...that is HUGE for me! They are H212754H212806 and from 4-5 yrs ago the H203453 which I still love and use the tree from the same set often. I only have 2 Fall wreaths I have been using for several yrs now...so 5 all together. I don't put up wreaths for Spring/Summer.

I originally said I was down to just 3 wreaths, but forgot about the 2 I use for Fall...oopsie! Those 2 wreaths I hang every year when not in use from the basement wall with a plastic bag over both of them.

Yesterday I finally finished the purging of the excess dinnerware. Oy! That was a project in and of itself. Although I had 7 boxes ready for charity from the basement, I still had to rearrange/sort/pare down a bit more from the ones I still wanted to keep and the dinnerware I already had in the kitchen cabinets. 

By that time deciding which ones to keep out of all the sets I really loved was very hard. I wound up only keeping a few plates of each of some of the salad plates. This way I could still mix/match and still have a pair of any design that was my fave if any broke. A few sets I kept all 4 of though...like the PB's 'Deer in Snow' salad plates, Lenox 'Winter Greetings' and the 'Snowland Village' set with the church from P1 I got just a few months ago.

I got rid of a little more than 3/4 of the BH&G collection...only keeping 3 salad plates each of a few designs. I kept a couple of plaid dinner plate patterns...PB's 'Carson Plaid' and Target's 'Plaid Tidings' design. I still kept the plain white plates I bought 35+ yrs ago which still serve us well. I kept all 8 dinner plates of Bonjour's 'Sierra Pine' I bought at Walmart a few yrs ago. I LOVE the dinner plates because it's the perfect shade of green which matches back to literally all of the salad plate designs I have...even the 2 Fall designs 'Ashville Leaves' from P1 and 222 5th's 'Harvest Festival'. 

There are a few other designs I was able to still keep a few of each and that's it. 

It is official...no dinnerware in our basement...Whew! LOL

Here's a pic of the Bonjour 'Sierra Pine' below. There are actually dinner plates under the same pattern name with pine cones on them, but opted for the more versatile plain green dinner plates...which also, by the way look awesome on the rattan chargers..an overall lovely rustic look.

bonjour-sierrapine.jpeg

Here's another pic of the same set...

BonJour-Dinnerware-Sierra-Pine-4-Piece-Stoneware-Dinner-Plate-Set-Forest-d5fc417a-74fb-4929-81e0-10d0d1f63d14_600.jpg

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo

I'm wishing you all the luck in the world! And looking for some of my own. 

I have no business buying any thing you listed (and a whole lot more), and I'm going to give it some real effort for at least the first quarter of this year, then see if I can keep that up through the second quarter!

We need a 12 step program!

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@jeanlake wrote:

@lucymo  I think half the population are collectors, because they're comfortable with that and the other half get nervous when stuff piles up, because they're uncomfortable with that. It helps that my dad was military, neat as a pin, and a machinist - who freaked out around clutter. His psychology used to drive me nuts, but as an adult -- I'm a milder version of him. When he passed, his apartment was so easy to clear out. (Thank, dad) Husband's first five years were on grandparents' big farmhouse in Arkansas. Lots of outbuildings, lots of clutter bug stuff. We've been managing our differences for 38 years. Smiley Embarassed The big Compromise.     

@jeanlake  My DH is a retired USAF veteran.  I think the military life did a reversal on me.  I didn't collect much while he was active duty as we moved a lot and maybe when I could, I went overboard. Anyway, it's getting to the point of being a nuisance rather than a pleasure, so time to reduce the stock pile.  Smiley Happy

That is the key right there.

It's different for different people, just what amount of 'stuff' is a pleasure and where the balance tips to becoming a nuisance.

For me, it's when I either have to work too hard to access the stuff and get frustrated doing so, or when I simply don't use the stuff, because I don't want to go to the hassle of digging it out, then putting everything I had to dig out to get to it back away, that I know I simply have way too much and it is now a nuisance.

Anyone else find themselves doing that, simply not using things you would love to have out, because it's too much hassle to get to it, then clean up what mess you made to get the stuff out?

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

@lucymo  I remember Jill presenting that set many times and although I love the sugared/beaded fruit overall, I think it was the particular red bow that I just didn't care for. 

I also edited a small paragraph in my post about the wreaths:

My Christmas/holiday wreaths are down to just 3...that is HUGE for me! They are H212754H212806 and from 4-5 yrs ago the H203453 which I still love and use the tree from the same set often. I only have 2 Fall wreaths I have been using for several yrs now...so 5 all together. I don't put up wreaths for Spring/Summer.

I originally said I was down to just 3 wreaths, but forgot about the 2 I use for Fall...oopsie! Those 2 wreaths I hang every year when not in use from the basement wall with a plastic bag over both of them.

Yesterday I finally finished the purging of the excess dinnerware. Oy! That was a project in and of itself. Although I had 7 boxes ready for charity from the basement, I still had to rearrange/sort/pare down a bit more from the ones I still wanted to keep and the dinnerware I already had in the kitchen cabinets. 

By that time deciding which ones to keep out of all the sets I really loved was very hard. I wound up only keeping a few plates of each of some of the salad plates. This way I could still mix/match and still have a pair of any design that was my fave if any broke. A few sets I kept all 4 of though...like the PB's 'Deer in Snow' salad plates, Lenox 'Winter Greetings' and the 'Snowland Village' set with the church from P1 I got just a few months ago.

I got rid of a little more than 3/4 of the BH&G collection...only keeping 3 salad plates each of a few designs. I kept a couple of plaid dinner plate patterns...PB's 'Carson Plaid' and Target's 'Plaid Tidings' design. I still kept the plain white plates I bought 35+ yrs ago which still serve us well. I kept all 8 dinner plates of Bonjour's 'Sierra Pine' I bought at Walmart a few yrs ago. I LOVE the dinner plates because it's the perfect shade of green which matches back to literally all of the salad plate designs I have...even the 2 Fall designs 'Ashville Leaves' from P1 and 222 5th's 'Harvest Festival'. 

There are a few other designs I was able to still keep a few of each and that's it. 

It is official...no dinnerware in our basement...Whew! LOL

Here's a pic of the Bonjour 'Sierra Pine' below. There are actually dinner plates under the same pattern name with pine cones on them, but opted for the more versatile plain green dinner plates...which also, by the way look awesome on the rattan chargers..an overall lovely rustic look.

bonjour-sierrapine.jpeg

Here's another pic of the same set...

BonJour-Dinnerware-Sierra-Pine-4-Piece-Stoneware-Dinner-Plate-Set-Forest-d5fc417a-74fb-4929-81e0-10d0d1f63d14_600.jpg

@Susan Louise

These are simply stunning! They would work year 'round, and are such a gorgeous shade of green. Good choice!

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

@lucymo  For me, I have a relatively small window of time I can purge. I have to do all I can with purging now before I start washing walls, cleaning shelves/glassware in the livingroom and shampooing carpets...overall house cleaning next month. Then it's time to sow seeds and start the gardening mode process. March I start feeding the Robins, both March and April I'm outside prepping gardens/yard...May gardening and it's the start of hummer documenting for the Spring migration, etc.

I know there are folks that are able to fnd time to purge a little throughout the year, but I just can't seem to find that extra time. I seem to be also able to focus much better when Spring/Summer activities are off my plate, which also extend through the documenting period of hummers during the Fall migration too.

I had made a couple of trips to charity around the CIJ period, but VERY late Fall through December seems to be the best months to purge for me. 

I was thinking of maybe keeping up threads that had purging to help maintain the motivation for folks throughout the year with everyone updating their progress and giving each other support Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Susan Louise  I love your growing space!  You must have a bountiful garden! 

@phoenixbrd  Thank you Smiley Happy 

It has evolved over about 10+ yrs and been upgraded several times but we finally got a really good system/set-up now. It is a great feeling growing your own plants for gardening. Not only does it save money, but one of the plants we can't get seeds/plants of elsewhere and our stash which I harvest every year is like gold to us.

There are a few tropical plants we do buy online, but I would say about 75% of what I put in our garden are plants we grew in our basement.