Respected Contributor

A fair isle hat in turquoise, grey, purple, burgundy and coral. And some brown socks, for waiting room knitting. Not getting far on either--it's Tax Season for us financial folks. Busy.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/21/2015 Matty6 said:

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I love to knit and have been knitting since I am 12 I am 54 now. I was very hurt by my niece who had twins three years ago and I knitted the babies [a girl and a boy] sweaters, little socks and hats and a two blankets all in green and yellow and pink. She saw it had no price tag and thrown it aside. My sister-in-law [her mother] was very upset. And I was close to tears. The project took me almost 9 months to finish. Everyone was oohing and awing about it when they saw it. I know you ladies who knit know how much the wool cost and how much making something for the babies meant something to me. These are my Godchildren .. she later said she was sorry. But, I never made her children another thing. I only knit for my family and friends who appreciate and will get use out of the outfits. The twins are three almost four now. I see them quite often and when they were babies I never ever saw them wear any of the outfits I knitted for them.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

What an ungrateful woman (girl). Everyone looks forward to my gift when they have babies cause they know it's handmade. I have made them for co-workers, relatives & friends of friends. I just finished hats for Christmas & have had to make 3 since, because my sister wore hers & the guys all wanted them. Just got the last one in the mail.

I'm sure your outfits were adorable. People don't realize the work that are put into knitting & crocheting which is why I prefer to give gifts than to sell my projects. My granddaughter has sold my layettes, the best ever potholders, & a few dog sweaters on Etsy. I really enjoy making hats for seniors & babies for charity too.

Respected Contributor

I'm gobsmacked at the woman who tossed an item with no price tag (was she the kind who runs to the store to return gifts for cash? They're out there.)

I used to make the "Best Baby Sweater" from Elizabeth Zimmerman Knitters Almanac all the time for new babies. It expands with the baby and it has buttons, so you can take it off a sleeping infant who is getting hot and flushed. I would make it in unusual colors for boy babies--navy blue, dark olive green, with pewter or Beatrix Potter buttons, and with colors like orchid or hot pink for girls--my new grand niece got princess pink and purple with heart and teddy buttons. Nothing washed out. The parents were almost ALWAYS delighted. (Only one time not, but the woman was a noted shrew.)

One dad carefully washed up the sweater when the boy grew out of it and shrink wrapped it for him so when he grows up and has his own kid, he can dress his infant in the handmade sweater. That was very sweet (my husband's best friend, he chose well, no?)

Frequent Contributor
On 1/21/2015 kathoderay said:
On 1/21/2015 honeybuns mom said: Am an avid knitter, what's on your knitting needles now?

Easy Drop Stitch Scarf

I wanted some mindless knitting while recovering from an illness. I'm using two skeins of Noro and it's turning out just like the pattern photo above. I'm happy to find knitters here, but we're everywhere, right! Wink

Ooooooh, that is so pretty! I bought a dropstitch book (added it to my large collection of knitting books), need to pull it out and learn.

Right now, I'm knitting a cardigan in a basketweave pattern, 3x3, on round needle, so there are no side seams, and I've got a couple of scarves half finished, and I'm always making crocheted dishcloths. They make wonderful gifts. Just finished another cardigan with ecru background and brown fair isle pattern. I'm maknig them long, mid-thigh, so i can wear with leggings and boots. And, i also finished over Christmas vacation a sweater with dogs on it and a couple of hats for our grandson.

A great book is knitting in the round. Great instructions for making sweaters without having to stitch seams. You can knit top-down or bottom-up. I want to try entralac. That looks intriguing.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

If you are looking for patterns, go to the Lionbrand website. They have hundreds of free patterns for everything.

Or, come to my house! LOL Since I've been knitting for over 50 years, I have hundreds of patterns! I still buy knitting pattern books from ebay........great buys! and they have hundreds of books listed.

I also subscribe to KNITTER'S....Interweave Knits.....and Vogue Knitting. The articles are wonderful, interesting, and really helpful; and I love reading about other knitters, shop owners, and designers. Very inspiring!

Anyone out there living in southern Pa.? I'm near Gettysburg, and the most outstanding shop for anything to do with fiber is The Mannings, in East Berlin. Weaving, spinning, knitting, rug hooking. Amazing place! Plan to spend hours!

Super Contributor

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and for everyone else's posts.

I love to knit and crochet ... just haven't had much time for it in several years. I hope to start up again when I retire in a few years and have already bookmarked the sites listed in this thread.

Valued Contributor
On 1/21/2015 honeybuns mom said: To Kathoderay: like the scarf u made, I've done some lace knitting but find that u really have to concentrate, I love Raverly too, I've done quite a few KALs , I did two with Stephen West. There're a great shawl I did from Raverly called Color Affection , came out so pretty, and I learned how to do short rows too! It was very popular. u made! I've made some lace knitted shawls, they look beautiful when done , but take a lot of concentration while knitting. I too love Raverly and go to the site often, like to see what everyone's made, I've also joined quite a few KALS , done two Stephen West shawls!

I've made Color Affection too - with Madeline Tosh yarn. That is a great pattern!

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/21/2015 docsgirl said:

I, too, love to knit and find it very relaxing. I'm currently working on a baby blanket for my friend who will become a grandmother in May. It's so simple to knit but works up beautifully. I get a lot of free patterns from Ravelry...a website I highly recommend as did Golfing Nancy.

kathoderay: would you be kind enough to share where you found the pattern for the Drop Stitch Scarf? It's very lovely. I have some drop stitch patterns but don't care for them but yours is delightful. Thanks so much and happy knitting. When I was teaching we had an after school knitting club and called ourselves the Knit Wits. We made a lot for kids in need.

docsgirl

Here it is in PDF format ready to print out. Smile
Easy Drop Stitch Scarf Pattern

Just discovered this thread. Thanks so much for the PDF. Love this scarf! And, the yarn is the bomb!

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/21/2015 straitgirl said:

I can't knit, but I have crocheted for over 40 years, does that count. I've made 20 slouch hats I sold for Christmas, 40 beanies for the Phoenix Children's Hospital, 8 double potholders, and now I am working on a layette for my niece's baby due in spring. I always have 2 or 3 projects going at the same time so I don't get bored with one item.

Yes, crochet counts! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

When I started to knit, I had already been crocheting for years. Boy, did I have a problem knitting!!! I started and stopped so many times until I was watching a knitting show on TV and the MC introduced the guest knit designer who began to knit on camera. At this point, the MC said, "Oh, I see you're knitting Continental." Well, I had already noticed the difference and the second I saw it knew that that was the way I needed to knit and was the reason I wasn't successful to date: I had been knitting the American way versus the European way (Continental) - simply put. And this was owed to the fact that basically I was a crocheter, so was used to holding the yarn in my left hand and making my right hand with hook or needle do most of the work. Yay Continental!

Frequent Contributor
Anyone try arm knitting??? I was almost forced to because of a condition in my hands, and it has been so fun!! I've been making loads of infinity scarves for gifts with bulky yarn. VERY fast and simple. I taught myself from a YouTube video. Just google it!