Honored Contributor

How many books do you have displayed in your home?

I've pared down to about two dozen history books that I find it hard to part with.... but I'm thinking of getting rid of them, as well.  I don't have a lot of room for display or storage, and I never revisit the books, so why am I holding onto them? I don't know...

The last few years I've done all my reading on my Kindle, saving me lots of money and precious space.

I'm wondering if I'm not the only one phasing out of hard-copy books.  My brother and his wife have THOUSANDS, which makes me wonder why they choose to clutter their lives this way.

Any thoughts?

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: How many books do you have displayed in your home?

Too many Smiley Very Happy

I've pared down quite a bit, but there's some I just can't give up.

Respected Contributor

Years ago I decided to donate all my foreign language books to my French professor to use in her classics classes.   This was easy as my career path serendipitously became corporate management...in English !

Just this past weekend, at my 50th college reunion, I ran into her and she told me how every year her students use these books as they study classic French authors.  She smiled as she said she sees my maiden name on the inside cover and relates what I am doing ( have done ).

There are probably a number of places you can try that will welcome your donations...and " visit " them productively.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Displayed? None

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I am not phasing out hard-copy books. I do not like reading on a small screen, so I do not have a Kindle.

Valued Contributor

None are really displayed, I do have some in a book case in a hallway.  I've greatly pared down my books and donated them to my library which has book sales every year.  I will keep a few of them and some cook books I like.  I don't really use cookbooks much as most recipes are on the internet. 

Honored Contributor

I keep hard copies of cookbooks, reference books, children's books, picture books (architecture, photography, etc) and books signed by the author.  Anything I'm actually reading is digital - Kindle or an Audible audio book.

At this point, even if I buy a hard copy book and get it signed by the author, I don't actually read the paper book and instead use a digital copy. That way the signed copy doesn't get damaged and I don't have to worry about carrying a heavy book with me.

Esteemed Contributor

I have thousands of books in my home, and I don't view them as "clutter." My books are my friends, my windows to knowledge and entertainment.  Several shelves are full of elementary and middle school reads (in excellent condition) which I plan to share with future grandchildren.  A few cases are full of books that belonged to my father--all great reads that I revisit from time to time.  I have many attractive, and some rather expensive, shelves to display and organize them.  

Honored Contributor

I love books, so to me, it's a decoration all on it's own.  Kind of like peanut butter is a food group of it's own.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

More than 500 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval