Respected Contributor

Re: How many books do you have displayed in your home?

Oh, this is an ongoing process for me. I had so many books and then I begrudgingly got a kindle Paperwhite before a trip to London.  I love it so much but some books are just too sentimental to part with. I got rid of so many that I knew would not be read again. I kept childhood favorites, signed copies, beloved odd books,and favorite first editions. I donated most cookbooks that were not handed down from my mom and grandmother, church compilations,etc. All my history books are gone. I am a history major but know that is all online.  I have so much more space and all my real loves are easier to find and see on the shelves.  I get real satisfaction from that.  I still buy books but only from goodwill, eBay,etc usually. Then I pass them along. I always complete series if I have kept the previous ones.  It's definitely a hard thing to purge books.

Valued Contributor

Too many to count.  We have bookcases in every room but the dining room and laundry. I, too, mostly read on kindle now, but still buy hard copy art books, and frequently revisit old favorites.  Having known a few true bookaholics, I don't think there's a problem unless they're stacked in front of the bathtub.

"An education by books...is an ornament in society and a solace when alone."

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of display books throughout our home.  Some are classics and I do not see books as clutter!  I love the feel of a book in my hands while reading.  I have a cabinet in our kitchen of all the cookbooks I have collected over the years and I still use them often. I also have some beautiful art books that I have displayed in our home.   

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I've pared down to about two dozen history books that I find it hard to part with.... but I'm thinking of getting rid of them, as well.  I don't have a lot of room for display or storage, and I never revisit the books, so why am I holding onto them? I don't know...

The last few years I've done all my reading on my Kindle, saving me lots of money and precious space.

I'm wondering if I'm not the only one phasing out of hard-copy books.  My brother and his wife have THOUSANDS, which makes me wonder why they choose to clutter their lives this way.

Any thoughts?

Because different things are important to different people.  I wonder why people do a lot of things.  We shop at different stores, have different interests, and things that are valuable or seem sensible to one person won't to another.  It's what makes the world go around.

Respected Contributor

I love books so I do not see them as clutter.  While I enjoy the convenience and space-saving aspects of e-readers, I don't really like using them for books that feature photographs or drawings.  For that type of book, I would rather have a hard copy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No "displays" at my apt.  They're scattered around all over, some on bookshelves, some on tables, some on floor.  Not clutter or messy to me.  Every couple of years I go through them to purge what I don't want any more.  Several years ago I got a Kindle for the express purpose of minimizing & taming my book collection.  Turns out I don't like reading on an electronic device.  Now I have about 30 books in my Kindle yet to read.  I have lately started collecting Audible books & plan to knit for charity while I listen to books in my retirement.

Honored Contributor

I don't display any books except for a few antique bibles that have been in the family.  

I do have my magazines on the coffee table because that's where I read.

My books are in a closet on a five shelf bookcase.

Honored Contributor

I have always been an avid reader, and book lover, but realized a long time ago how easy it was to be overrun with books.   Outside of the kitchen bookcase with my cookbooks, I only have a small bookcase in my bedroom with the few books that have great meaning in my life.   

Honored Contributor

Enough to make you think Barnes & Noble threw up in here!

Honored Contributor

Thank you!

I always enjoy reading your responses and getting different perspectives.

Those of you who have hundreds of books - have you ever had to move them?  We've moved five times in the past 34 years, which isn't outrageous, but it seems each time we move we take a little less along with us.

~ house cat ~