Respected Contributor

Re: How do you keep your TV?

We got rid of our unit when we went to a flat screen TV...and I do kind of miss the display space! Our TV is now hung on the wall above a 1920's oak buffet, and I really like the way it looks with the very modern TV over the antique cabinet. This is an older picture of it...the painted cabinets and the pictures are now gone.005.JPG

Honored Contributor

Out of curiosity, I did some research on this "out of style wall unit" and found that they are currently available (plus additional items to make it even bigger) at:

Restoration Hardware

Ikea

Pottery Barn

Ethan Allen

Costco

Wayfair

Macy's

Gardiners

as well as being available at a few furniture stores near me that are not chain stores.

Ignore what anyone says and do your own thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Personally I don't like the look of a TV, flat screen or other. To me they are ugly and need to be hidden where that's possible. As I mentioned earlier, mine is hidden inside a 'TV lift cabinet'. When the TV is off then it drops down inside a cabinet and it looks really nice and clean. Keeps the TV protected and out of sight from anyone coming into the room. I love it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When I look at those trendy TV stands I  see none of those have cable boxes nor speakers which , in real life, would make them look cluttered, but are necessary to have.

We don’t have speakers, they are built in the tv. Our cable box is about 3 inches high and 9 inches wide. It fits on the cabinet fine. Mine is not trendy. It is a long narrow cabinet with two glass doors and three small drawers. Like a sofa table with storage underneath.

We also have a dvd player and a cd player and a radio - which do require speakers. Our cable requires 2 boxes and of course all that and our chromecast have associated wires etc. that need to be hiddenbehind something. The 3 TVs we have wall mounted all require a piece of furniture under them to hold cable boxes.

Our wires are hidden. They come down the back of the tv stand and go through a hole in the back to the cable box. They cannot be seen. Glad you are happy with your unit. You asked what everyone else did with their tv and this is how we do ours.

Honored Contributor

5E0DC039-5429-49F4-8F19-C42B8545FECA.jpegF982B7F6-0BBC-4AB3-940B-3B2ADFC15F4E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Out of curiosity, I did some research on this "out of style wall unit" and found that they are currently available (plus additional items to make it even bigger) at:

Restoration Hardware

Ikea

Pottery Barn

Ethan Allen

Costco

Wayfair

Macy's

Gardiners

as well as being available at a few furniture stores near me that are not chain stores.

You're right.  When I said my mother had one (and suspected the OP might have something similar --  I'm sure she'll jump right on me about it), this is what I was picturing in my mind:

FVE-049-HH-7pc.jpg

When you mention RH (my favorite store in the history of the world), I picture this (which is NOT ugly):

cat1850056-bnr-N17.jpg

Big difference!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Restoration Hardware

Ikea

Pottery Barn

Ethan Allen

Costco

Wayfair

Macy's

Gardiners

You're right.  When I said my mother had one (and suspected the OP might have something similar --  I'm sure she'll jump right on me about it), this is what I was picturing in my mind:

FVE-049-HH-7pc.jpg

When you mention RH (my favorite store in the history of the world), I picture this (which is NOT ugly):

cat1850056-bnr-N17.jpg

Big difference!!!

I have mission style furniture - much of it antique - so the style of my entertainment center is mission style to match my other furniture, in red oak also to match my other furniture.

When we were in the local furniture stores this spring looking for a new LR set we saw a lot of the full wall size units similar to ours, so obviously people are still buying them. 

I can't figure out where you put the CD , DVD and radio when you have those buffet style units. Also my unit has so much storage, 8 cabinets plus 2 drawers.I would really miss those storage areas if I didn't have this piece.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon Please quote where I "jumped all over you" when you wrote your Mom had a wall unit. I never even answered that statement at all. I resent you saying I jumped all over you when I didn't.  I now get that your intention was to start a fight and when I didn't respond as you hoped you decided to just make up that I did so you could get your fight.

Honored Contributor

@151949  I was just referring to your general habit of jumping all over anyone who disagrees with you or God forbid, agrees with someone who disagrees with you. 

There was no jumping in this thread, you stand correct!!!

Honored Contributor

All our TVs are wall mounted.  The cable and electric plugs were installed behind where these TVs would be placed.  No wires or cords to be seen.

We only need the small box at each TV and that is actually on the TV on the upper left corner. 

The larger box that actually does all the recording and the modem are upstairs in a closet.  You don't need all that junk to record/rewind etc in the room at the actual TV.  Love that.

Underneath the TVs in our summer house is an off white Bramble cabinet (love Bramble!) that displays a few items and at home I have a beautiful bombay chest with a black granite top for displaying.  Bramble does have pretty shuttered cabinets/media centers.  

But the TVs are not on or in cabinets, but suspended above.

Our homes are small, so we don't have surround sound/extra speakers, the Bose is hidden, but I can easily bring it out, just don't like/love the look of it.