Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep your TV?

Oh my goodness, we had an entertainment center like that when I was growing up.  We have 3 thin modern tvs; a 70'' in the living room,  60 or maybe 65 in the family room.  Those are on stands.  We have a 55" in our bedroom and that is mounted on the wall.

Honored Contributor

I know some men love these huge tvs esp. for sports, but , I'm glad my DH is content with one 55". All our others are in the 25" (kitchen) to 36" range. We do have 5 TVs in our house though - which seems ridiculous, but we brought home 2 when we sold our camper so we had to find homes for them. Now we have one in the guest room for our company and for me when I'm using it as my sewing room, and one in our bedroom that we rarely watch unless one of us is ill. In the past when I had my knee surgeries DH brought the TV from the kitchen into our bedroom for me to watch while I was stuck in bed icing my knee.

Honored Contributor

One problem with the lower console/buffet table-style tv supports is that you have to bend down to reach anything stored in it.

This aspect is always forgotten by people without any sort of disability.

If you have something larger and taller, then you have the option to place items you need to access higher up so you don't need to bend.

That being said, I have my medium-sized tv in the bedroom on a small blue-green accent chest.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@151949 I don't understand?  Why is a Realtor telling you what to have in your house?  Is it because you're selling it?  My late husband was an investor/builder.

He and his partner always 'staged' houses.  That's what I'll do when I sell my house.  My furniture will be out and it will be staged.

Is that what some Realtor tell people?  Do they actually say to get rid of this and that?  OK, so I understand if specific furniture a person has makes the room look small, etc.  But, come on....if you like whatever it is!!!!

It sounds like you like it.....As far as my TV's the big TV in my TV room upstairs hangs over the fireplace.  The TV in my bedroom is on an arm that hangs from the wall so I can lay in bed and watch it.  Then when I'm getting dressed I can turn it so I can walk around the bedroom.  I also have a TV in the sewing room that also hangs from the wall (also on a swing arm).  I never go in the sewing room very much anymore so I don't even have the TV plugged in but could use it if I wanted to.

As far as the downstairs in the rec room, I don't even go in there much anymore.  It sits on an entertainment center that was main specifically for it's size.  

You should do what you want to do.  I've always read your posts and I think you have excellent taste and if you like something, it's probably lovely....that's just my 2 cents.

Honored Contributor

The Tv in my bedroom is sitting on top of an antique wood ice box. It was just what we sitting around and grabbed to use. We really could have done better.

Respected Contributor

We have a 55 inch TV. Had a long two tier tv stand. Mostly glass with wood trim. Need to be on your hands and knees to clean. Told DH we needed a new one. He said he would clean it. Always forgot. I ordered one from Wayfair. It is just right for the area. Both like it. I know this is different than most but we have never had a TV in the bedroom. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Tigriss I do not find those buffet style TV stands with those big black TV screens sitting on top of them to be  at all attractive. I don't care if they are the current trend or not. They won't ever be in my house. As I said before - I'll be keeping  what I have, which is a beautiful piece of furniture, cost too much to just toss it out because a trend has changed. 

Weare NOT listing our house for sale.

Didn't get to the part where you refused to get rid of your massive piece of furniture.  Since it is so large, it could be used to support the roof if need be.  Just don't forget, it is a con in a highly competitive real estate market.  The buffet style is no more a trend than your massive one.  All style is a trend of some sort!

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Tigriss I do not find those buffet style TV stands with those big black TV screens sitting on top of them to be  at all attractive. I don't care if they are the current trend or not. They won't ever be in my house. As I said before - I'll be keeping  what I have, which is a beautiful piece of furniture, cost too much to just toss it out because a trend has changed. 

Weare NOT listing our house for sale.

Didn't get to the part where you refused to get rid of your massive piece of furniture.  Since it is so large, it could be used to support the roof if need be.  Just don't forget, it is a con in a highly competitive real estate market.  The buffet style is no more a trend than your massive one.  All style is a trend of some sort!

You do understand that all these various style trends are nothing but a device to part us from our money don't you?Every person certainly has the right to buy what they like and it is only the very very foolish who throw away perfectly good, functional and expensive furniture  because the trend has swung to something different. Thank goodness I don't feel the need to jump to every trend - especially in home decor. I would never remove something that was still in perfect condition just to put in something that is more current. I prefer to wait until what I have wears out and needs replaced. Since I have some furniture that is over 200 years old - that may be a while.

Respected Contributor

@151949 You don't have to let it go for free. You can always sell it. Many communities have Facebook pages for selling such things or your own page. That way you have gotten your money's worth of the item and make a bit of money to buy something else, new or old. It is like a yard sale without all the hassle of a yard sale and not waking up so early.

You are right about decor shows promoting the changing of goods but gosh, it has been going on since the beginning of man. Practical makes sense, and your style is your style. Moving is also a great time to sell off extra stuff or change your furniture out for a refresh look, especially since people do want a fresh change/update of thing. We do get tired of looking at the same stuff over and over plus our tastes change. Don't want live with a piece of furniture you don't like anymore since that would make your peaceful home not peaceful. We all are different.

You might look at seeing if your home insurance will cover the extra value of 200 year old antiques too. Moving is often a time when people realize that after they've been damaged by careless movers or just accidents.
Honored Contributor

Why did I post on this thread? Will I ever learn? Geez. Should have seen it coming....everyone chastised for spending money on the “latest trend “!