Honored Contributor

Re: Here We Go Again.....

[ Edited ]

I dont know what the ordinances are in your city, but most cities have ordinances that if your tree or plants are hanging or growing on your neighbor's property they have the right to trim what is on their side.  So I would hire my own person to trim your tree and plants back and tell your neighbor you have taken care of the issue so their is no reason for her FIL to do anything.  And I would say that she really needs to keep him under control because you dont want to have to call the police, her financial arrangements shouldn't involve you, and damage to your property, and if he proceeds you will have no choice but to take action.  

And yes contact your city hall and get a survey with the property lines.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I too would like an update.  Hopefully he's long gone by now.  He sure sounds like a tyrant, he must be dishing out a lot of money to them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Re: Here We Go Again.....

[ Edited ]

@CaliKat @debic ~ Yes, thankfully he is long gone.  You know, life is stressful enough without someone thinking they own what is yours and wanting to do whatever they want with it.  He never touched anything of ours, but then again my husband & I worked really hard to make sure nothing was infringing on their property.  And yes, I did stand up to him and make it very clear what is ours and what is theirs.  Hopefully he'll stay far away for a long while!

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928  I wouldn't call the police just yet. He sounds like a big blowhard who assumes because your neighbors kiss his rear end, everyone else will.

You have to be assertive with people like this.

If he comes again and starts spewing orders, let him know that he isn't the boss of you and your property.

If he doesn't like it --- oh well.

Once you let him know you aren't intimidated, he will likely back off.

Respected Contributor

@Julie928 That's great news. Thanks for the update.  I've always had pretty decent neighbors.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

@Julie928

Way to go Julie! I'm glad to hear he backed off.  He's probably the kind of guy who when confronted on his BS, will run the other way. Too bad his kid (your neighbor) hasn't learned how to assert himself. He might have a much better relationship with his father.

Honored Contributor

Obviously, this appears to be resolved for now, but should it arise again, you might let your neighbor know up front that you sympathize with her plight but that since he's not doling out the dough to you, and since the property lines are clear (assuming they are), you'll have no problems calling in the authorities if he messes with your property and that you'd suggest she pass that along to him... Since he didn't mess with it during this last trip, though, one might assume that he's all bluster...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...