Esteemed Contributor

I would invest in a Trail Cam....you can get one for under $100........place it where it will take a picture of anyone coming on your property line. You will see what goes on if he waits until you leave and have something to show the police......

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

There is no homeowners association here, and I did take some pictures earlier today.  He was out "buying supplies" while I took the photos, though.  I called the police and they offered to send someone out but I hate to do that right now.  I keep going outside so he can see me but I have a lot of errands to get done this week.  Now I'm scared to go anywhere for fear of what he'll do while I'm gone.  I can tell all of you I am NOT afraid of this Bozo.  He can be rude to anyone he wants, but as I told his daughter-in-law (my neighbor) he met his match with me, especially when I'm as stressed as I am.  I just really want to know when does the peace and tranquility start kicking in?  I'm tired, guys.  I just want to enjoy my property and live in peace.  Just leave the things on my property alone...

No; you should do that right now.  ****** it in the bud.  

Respected Contributor

You need that survey.   My brother lost property that he thought was his.   My neighbor gained 50 feet.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

It won't be free, but I would call a surveyor immediately and have them define the property line to determine what is really on your property or on theirs.  Sometimes the lines can become blurred over the years.  If the fence is all on your property, they should not touch it. Same with plantings.  But if it is actually on their property, it's their fence.  Always be sure that you know the exact lines before you build a fence or do plantings.  

Years ago in Connecticut our next door neighbor spent several thousand dollars putting in expensive conifers down the property line (over an acre).  I had a survey and tried to tell them that they were making a mistake, but they didn't believe us.  They were using "approximation stakes", put in by the developer when he was determining where the lots would be - not the actual stakes in the finished product.  They decided to leave things alone since it would have cost many more dollars to move the plantings.  We were very appreciative of their mistake. Get a survey and be sure - they will be sure also.

This wasn't the case for my brother or neighbor.   They simply had to move it.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Years ago I had the next door neighbor come to me and tell me that I had to move every thing away from the fence because she was tearing it out and replacing it to comply with regulations regarding back yard pools.

I came in, found the property survey that clearly showed the fence was within our property lines, not hers and pointed out that the "ugly side" faced our yard.  She was having none of it according to her the old owner sold her the fence too!

The day came for the work to be done and I put signs on the fence that they were not to touch it which resulted in a shouting match.  I had to call the police to have it shut down.

She finally called her lawyer who looked at her survey and told her, nope, she didn't own the fence - it wasn't on her property and to leave it alone. She was not a happy lady...to this day I don't speak to her.

Honored Contributor

Haven't read the replies, but in our area, a call to the police/LE and having them send out an officer because you have a neighbor threatening to damage your property would be warranted.

Yep, it will pizz him off, but I'd want documentation before the damage occurs. 

Does he own the property next door? If not, your neighbor needs to grow a pair and put a stop to this. I'd not sit by and let this guy push me, let alone what he might 'possibly' do when I wasn't looking. There might be no proof or recourse once he does it. I'd try to make him understand I was serious with the LE involvement.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Years ago I had the next door neighbor come to me and tell me that I had to move every thing away from the fence because she was tearing it out and replacing it to comply with regulations regarding back yard pools.

I came in, found the property survey that clearly showed the fence was within our property lines, not hers and pointed out that the "ugly side" faced our yard.  She was having none of it according to her the old owner sold her the fence too!

The day came for the work to be done and I put signs on the fence that they were not to touch it which resulted in a shouting match.  I had to call the police to have it shut down.

She finally called her lawyer who looked at her survey and told her, nope, she didn't own the fence - it wasn't on her property and to leave it alone. She was not a happy lady...to this day I don't speak to her.

What an awful neighbor!

I lived in a city years ago that had an ordinance about the "ugly" side of a fence.   Even if you put up a fence on your property, which you should always do, not on the line, the ugly side had to face IN.   

Where I live now there is no  such ordinance.    

Your neighbor has more money than brains to put in a pool and fight with a neighbor??    At least she has a smart attorney.

I've seen a couple of episodes of "Fear Thy Neighbor"    It's awful how mean neighbors can be to each other.   And for what??

Valued Contributor

@Julie928

Just curious how everything turned out.  Did the rude father-in-law finally take the hint and stop harrassing you, and threatening your property?

For your sake, I hope everything was resolved peacefully.

Esteemed Contributor

Have your property surveyed ASAP - even though you said Macho Man doesn't live there - he will be back. Your fence should actually have been about one foot from the actual property line (but your code enforcer from town would be able to tell you). 

If he confronts you again, you really need to put him in his place at once and be done with it. Sadly, his son need to grow the h*ll up since it's his house this man is visiting

My soon to be ex SIL has a father just like this. He tried the macho/bully thing on me once - never again. Unfortunately, my SIL still hasn't grown a pair to put him in his place.

Good Luck and keep us posted. Hang in there!!

Esteemed Contributor

We live next to a neighbor that thinks he owns the street and part of our property. He's has a bad attitude if confronted about any infringement onto our property. I have talked to the other neighbors and they just have let him run with whatever his next idea was rather than handle the situration. Not me. I worked long and hard to get this place and I will not be bullied. I stand up to him and his crazy ideas and point out where his property line ends and mine begins. That's what you need to do., Take pictures and if he approaches on your property ---call the police.  Stop the craziness now before you end up with the heartache. He will just continue to bully you and invade further onto your lot.  We have very few problems with our situation because he knows I will handle it.