Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

...with the neighbor issues.  So today my neighbor approaches me apologizing left and right.  I ask her why she is apologizing and she tells me her father-in-law is coming over to trim all MY trees and shrubs that are falling over MY fence.  Now, I have no problem trimming things that are going over onto someone else's property.  I have asked her again and again if there is anything they want me to trim and she repeatedly told me no, she likes the look of everything.  So Mr. Wonderful shows up and I start talking to him (pleasantly, may I add).  He instantly has this macho, tough-guy attitude with me.  I offer to trim our trumpet vine and a tree that is in between the driveways.  While trimming the trumpet vine he tells me he wants it cut all the way back.  I tell him I don't want it cut all the way back because we are trying to get it to climb across OUR fence.  He starts telling me the fence facing their driveway belongs to him!  Seriously?  My dad built that fence for me, using OUR money and it is clearly on OUR property.  He tells me he wants to paint it.  I told him NOPE!  The fence is mine, don't touch.  I called my neighbor and told her what is going on and she starts apologizing again, telling me he is rude to everyone, including her and his own son!  The reason she is letting him boss them around?  Her words ~ he dishes out the money.  He will be here all week and I'm afraid to go out.  I don't want to come home and find things on our property gone.  Clearly he thinks he owns part of our land, when in fact, they have several plantings on OUR land.  I worked really hard on our gardens and don't want some moron destroying everything.  Not sure what to do ~ any suggestions?  I am under a ton of stress right now and don't need this.  Not at all.  Thanks in advance.

I tend to agree with the other posters you need to be 100% sure of your property lines on this,  before going toe to toe with this Bozo  (no offense to any clowns) 

Honored Contributor

Re: Here We Go Again.....

[ Edited ]

I would put up a rope along the property line temporarily and signs along the rope that say PROPERTY LINE. I would also make clear to the neighbors that if he damages anything of yours you will hold them responsible.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

That's a good idea- maybe add a "No Trespassing" sign? 

Honored Contributor

I don't do drama.   You've already told this man NO.   Simply put Private Property signs out, and as soon as he steps foot on your property to do anything, call the police and let them handle it.   

Honored Contributor

My neighbor put up a no trespassing sign for a similar reason. It did work  after he called the police when the trespasser stepped on his property with the sign up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd dish the macho right back to him, be assertive and tell him if he touches any of your plantings or property, he'll be hearing from your attorney.  You'd be lucky if he killed the trumpet vine though.  Those things are so invasive, they'll soon be popping up all over your yard.  It ought to be illegal to sell them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I would just turn the hose on him.

Honored Contributor

After our home was robbed in 2007, we sought, and followed the advice of law enforcement.   We installed an expensive alarm system, and posted our property with very visible signs; I even have Private Property signs in a front, and back window of the house.  Per WV law, we have given full warning that we intend to protect our property.   Anyone who ignores our signs and steps foot on our property will face the consequences.   

Honored Contributor

tendermercies: Sadly in some places that is considered assault. I know it's stupid.

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

tendermercies: Sadly in some places that is considered assault. I know it's stupid.

@Love my grandkids That's too bad.  Where I live, you can legally shoot trespassers, so I'm sure taking the hose to them wouldn't be too big an issue.