Trusted Contributor

...with the neighbor issues.  So today my neighbor approaches me apologizing left and right.  I ask her why she is apologizing and she tells me her father-in-law is coming over to trim all MY trees and shrubs that are falling over MY fence.  Now, I have no problem trimming things that are going over onto someone else's property.  I have asked her again and again if there is anything they want me to trim and she repeatedly told me no, she likes the look of everything.  So Mr. Wonderful shows up and I start talking to him (pleasantly, may I add).  He instantly has this macho, tough-guy attitude with me.  I offer to trim our trumpet vine and a tree that is in between the driveways.  While trimming the trumpet vine he tells me he wants it cut all the way back.  I tell him I don't want it cut all the way back because we are trying to get it to climb across OUR fence.  He starts telling me the fence facing their driveway belongs to him!  Seriously?  My dad built that fence for me, using OUR money and it is clearly on OUR property.  He tells me he wants to paint it.  I told him NOPE!  The fence is mine, don't touch.  I called my neighbor and told her what is going on and she starts apologizing again, telling me he is rude to everyone, including her and his own son!  The reason she is letting him boss them around?  Her words ~ he dishes out the money.  He will be here all week and I'm afraid to go out.  I don't want to come home and find things on our property gone.  Clearly he thinks he owns part of our land, when in fact, they have several plantings on OUR land.  I worked really hard on our gardens and don't want some moron destroying everything.  Not sure what to do ~ any suggestions?  I am under a ton of stress right now and don't need this.  Not at all.  Thanks in advance.

Respected Contributor

It won't be free, but I would call a surveyor immediately and have them define the property line to determine what is really on your property or on theirs.  Sometimes the lines can become blurred over the years.  If the fence is all on your property, they should not touch it. Same with plantings.  But if it is actually on their property, it's their fence.  Always be sure that you know the exact lines before you build a fence or do plantings.  

Years ago in Connecticut our next door neighbor spent several thousand dollars putting in expensive conifers down the property line (over an acre).  I had a survey and tried to tell them that they were making a mistake, but they didn't believe us.  They were using "approximation stakes", put in by the developer when he was determining where the lots would be - not the actual stakes in the finished product.  They decided to leave things alone since it would have cost many more dollars to move the plantings.  We were very appreciative of their mistake. Get a survey and be sure - they will be sure also.

Super Contributor

Do you have a homeowners association that you can talk with?   If he doesn't even live next door, and is encroaching on your property, call the cops.

Honored Contributor

Take pictures - NOW!

Lot's of them.

And let the old man see you doing it.

@Julie928

Honored Contributor

If any of your property is destroyed and/or damaged, call the police.  Better yet, take a video of the person destroying/damaging your property.  A written record and/or video will go a long way in court & w/your homeowners carrier.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I agree with calling the police if he starts in on things on your property.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea what size town you live in, but if it is a smaller town, call your mayor first.  Then, call the police department and explain the situation.  They will send an officer out to speak with this man and warn him that he has no authority to do anything to your property.  Unfortunately, sometimes you have to out-macho the macho guy.  I would definitely not hide.  Be visible, be vocal, and have your police department number in your phone, and let him know that you are in charge.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

There is no homeowners association here, and I did take some pictures earlier today.  He was out "buying supplies" while I took the photos, though.  I called the police and they offered to send someone out but I hate to do that right now.  I keep going outside so he can see me but I have a lot of errands to get done this week.  Now I'm scared to go anywhere for fear of what he'll do while I'm gone.  I can tell all of you I am NOT afraid of this Bozo.  He can be rude to anyone he wants, but as I told his daughter-in-law (my neighbor) he met his match with me, especially when I'm as stressed as I am.  I just really want to know when does the peace and tranquility start kicking in?  I'm tired, guys.  I just want to enjoy my property and live in peace.  Just leave the things on my property alone...

Honored Contributor

Call the cops! That's tne only way to deal with an ass hat like this. Your neighbor is a wimp as the old SOB controls the money. Act NOW!

Trusted Contributor

You did a good thing by calling the police and taking pictures.  I would suggest writing down everything that you discussed, giving him a copy (and if in longhand, keep a copy for yourself).

Your neighbor is a piece of work.  She puts up with his behavior AND she expects others to, also.  I don't think so.  

Years ago, I had a neighbor who called someone to top off some evergreens on MY property and not encroaching on hers.  She just didn't like the heighth of the evergreens.  Fortunately, the person she called realized that the evergreens were on my property, and the worker asked her to call me at work to get my permission.  Gutsy!!