Super Contributor

I totally understand not wanting to do your ceilings. We paid $7,500 to have our house painted! That was paint and labor, and oi paint is more expensive - but still.

In our case, we didn't really have a choice as we had just bought the house from the one and only owner who were an elderly couple - and it was obvious that they had not painted in years.

Had it been an option to not paint the ceilings I likely wouldn't have done it, either. It's insane how much it costs!

My husband wanted to do it ourselves. After doing some math, I figured out that he and I would have to paint all day every Sunday for 9 months to do it ourselves compared to the labor quote. I told him that it was far cheaper to pay the pros than it would be to get divorced, which we likely would have after nine months of painting, LOL. My husband had just been transferred for his job and was (and still is) working six days a week. Imagine if he'd have had to spend every spare minute of his day off painting in close quarters with MOI! Not a pretty scenario, lol.

Super Contributor

You're right; Navajo White is a Benjamin Moore color. We did our last house in all BM colors. It is a REALLY nice color that easily flows with the colors from other rooms. It goes with just about anything. We ended up painting most of our finished basement in it after we saw how nice it looked in our kitchen. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Ready To Paint

[ Edited ]

fullsizeoutput_166.jpeg

"Um  excuse us, mama, but you didn't ask for our input re: all this new home stuff."   

" Hey, this house is our crib too, mama."

Honored Contributor

@feline groovywrote:

fullsizeoutput_166.jpeg

"Um  excuse us, mama, but you didn't ask for our input re: all this new home stuff."   

" Hey, this house is our crib too, mama."

LOL!  I love that @feline groovy!  My main concern is what will I do with Henry during all of the painting.  I really don't know.  I guess I will put him in a room with the door closed (and his litter box) until they get to that particular room.  I think Frankie will be fine wherever I am.  I will have to stay home the entire time because of Henry.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

We just got a quote to have living room & dining area painted..LR does have cathedral ceiling, but only 1 complete wall..behind sofa & end tables..( guess is 14’ long)..1 window wall (doors), a fireplace wall with shelving, & open area to dining area..(dining area on small side, maybe 10’x12’)..no ceiling paint & quote was $1800! I am shocked..we have always done our own painting, so wondering if this sounds out of line..

we expected it to be no more than $1000., including paint..Plan on 2 more estimates, for sure! Any comparisons for recent quotes? Thanks! 

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, getting your home painted is a great time to take a look at what you've done before and make some changes. I just did the same thing in April and went with one neutral color throughout. Everything came off the walls and I knew that it was time to do something different. I got a new look, put away some things and put up less. I love it. Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

The folks in the other half of our villa are having the entire space painted. 1500 sq ft. No cathedral ceilings or anything like that. Open concept - few walls. $5000. And since they haven't really moved in yet there is only a bed , a dinette set and 2 recliners , so minimal furniture to move around. I was shocked at the price. I know it would cost us a lot more with a house full of furniture to deal with. So far we are getting by with just touching up paint where it needs it, but we know sooner or later we will have to have it painted.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@NickNack, getting your home painted is a great time to take a look at what you've done before and make some changes. I just did the same thing in April and went with one neutral color throughout. Everything came off the walls and I knew that it was time to do something different. I got a new look, put away some things and put up less. I love it. Good luck to you!

After we had removed everything from our house to neutralize it for showing , when we brought things back in I did the same. Much less stuff. I'm really liking the more minimal look.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@jannabelle1  I finished the painting a while ago.  I'm very happy with it.  Like you, I painted the whole house one neutral color, unlike what I had before.  I thought carefully about what pictures I wanted to put back on the walls, and a lot of them are now in the garage.  I'm really happy with the way everything looks.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I'm getting ready to have the entire interior of my house painted.  My painter gets a 30% discount with Sherwin-Williams, so that's the paint I will use.  I have brought many shades of beige paint chips home and am having a hard time deciding on a color.  I've got it narrowed down to two or three.

I'll be so glad to get this done.  My house is a medium tan color right now with a burgundy accent wall in the living room.  I haven't liked the accent wall for a long time.  My bathrooms are painted different colors, too.  This time I am planning on painting the whole house the same color.

I would like to thin out my "things" as I put the house back together.  It's hard to decide what to do as I really like everything. I've got a lot of pictures on the walls, but there aren't any pictures that I don't want to put back up again.  I'm having a very hard time deciding.