Super Contributor

@NickNack

Here are some more. Just trying to show it in different rooms and light levels.

444.jpg555.jpg66.jpg99.jpg

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr  I'm liking this color more and more.  I love the table closest to the door in the second picture.

I'm going to S-W tomorrow and getting a Kilim Beige paint chip and one other that I've seen pictures of on Pinterest.  Then I think I will be able to make my decision.  I think it's going to be between Urban Putty and Kilim Beige.

I'm also going to get some shades of white paint chips for trim and doors.  I picked up some the last time I was in there but have decided they weren't white enough.  I don't want a stark white, but I do want fairly white.

I really appreciate your sharing your pictures.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Carol in NC, your home is beautiful, so inviting looking.

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr  What color is your trim?  It looks very white to me.  My trim now is off white.  I've been looking at different whites and am unsure what to do.  I had my plantation shutters done in a custom color when I bought them to match my creamy trim.  I'm not sure if they would look bad next to a whiter trim color.  Also, my ceiling is a white with a yellow tone.  I don't want to paint my ceilings this time.  I'm wondering how they will look if I change my trim color to a whiter shade.

My trim now is Benjamin Moore Navajo White, and my ceiling is Benjamin Moore Montgomery White.  I am thinking of getting the same trim color so it will still look good with my ceiling and will match my shutters.  Would Urban Putty look okay with these colors?  I have definitely narrowed my choices down to Urban Putty or Kilim Beige.

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I had Navajo White in my kitchen in our last house. I really liked it a lot, but my trim with it was white. I don't think I'd do Navajo White (having lived with it before) with Urban Putty or Kilim Beige. That's me though. I wouldn't want them to run together into a monochromatic look. 

When we painted recently I went with an ultra white for my trim and ceilings; I wanted a crisp, clean white with a distinct contrast to the Urban Putty.

I am usually a big fan of colors, so the fact that I painted almost my entire home in Urban Putty is saying something from me, lol. I do not think it is a trendy color and I have grown away from trendiness in a color palette; it gets old as it passes from vogue and then has to be painted again to avoid a dated look.

I think the white I used is called Simply White. On the off chance that I decided to paint again and change colors I did not want to have a ceiling or trim that would have to be done again, too. But I really just liked the crisp, clean look of the Urban Putty and white together. I asked my sister (she is an Interior Decorator in NYC) and she likes white for ceilings, too. Even though she is an Interior Decorator, she used Martha Stewart's colorist the last time she painted (Martha lives in Connecticut most of the time and her colorist - also working in the NY area - only charges $250 an hour to tell people what colo rs to use for "flow"). HA HA ... I give that advice for FREE!!! Smiley Very Happy  Anyway, the colorist told her to use pale neutrals with white ceilings and trim.

Super Contributor

@NickNack

On second thought, I would go to Sherwin Williams and get the little sample bottles of each of these colors; I think they run about five bucks for a small jar. Then I'd find a board or piece of sheetrock, or even a spot on your wall behind a door that is going to get painted anyway and do samples.

Kilim Beige/Montgomery White, Urban Putty/Navajo White, etc. etc.

It may cost $25 for all of the colors but that's a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll go through if you end up unhappy with your choices.

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Ready To Paint

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the excellent advice @AussieLuvr.  I think I will go get the small cans and paint an area behind a door or a board.  I would like to see Urban Putty and Kilim Beige on my walls anyway.

The reason I don't want to paint my ceilings is because it will add so much to the cost of painting.  If I can get by without doing it I will be glad.  I loved the color (Montgomery White--Benjamin Moore) when I did it.  I had a decorator helping me when I painted my house the last time, which was probably at leastten years ago.  My walls are Benjamin Moore Manhattan Tan.  I still like that color but wanted a change this time.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr  I wanted to make sure you realized that it was Benjamin Moore's Navajo White that is my current trim color, not Sherwin-Williams.  Sherwin-Williams would make it more of a monochromatic look.  The Benjamin Moore Navajo White is an off white.  Still I think I've decided to go with a whiter color although still not white white.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

They sell those samples for $2 here. I buy them often when I only have a small something to paint. You get 1/2 pint.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack

You can also go to Home Depot and give them the paint name from the other company to match it.

I recently wanted to try a BM color and did not want to drive to the BM store.

HD matched it with no problem.

It is cheaper than the samples at SW and BM and you can get see how the color looks.

Then, you can have the painter go to SW or BM and use their discount to buy the SW or BM paint for your house.