Honored Contributor

I'm getting ready to have the entire interior of my house painted.  My painter gets a 30% discount with Sherwin-Williams, so that's the paint I will use.  I have brought many shades of beige paint chips home and am having a hard time deciding on a color.  I've got it narrowed down to two or three.

I'll be so glad to get this done.  My house is a medium tan color right now with a burgundy accent wall in the living room.  I haven't liked the accent wall for a long time.  My bathrooms are painted different colors, too.  This time I am planning on painting the whole house the same color.

I would like to thin out my "things" as I put the house back together.  It's hard to decide what to do as I really like everything. I've got a lot of pictures on the walls, but there aren't any pictures that I don't want to put back up again.  I'm having a very hard time deciding.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I can't live with clutter and walls loaded  - the previous owner of this house had almost every square inch of walls with nick-nacks - - and stuff.  Why don't you hang just a few pictures - put the rest in the closet and then next year switch them.  Color:  I went from all white walls first floor to a slight beigh - softer and not different colors coming at you from all sides  Good Luck

Super Contributor

@NickNack Oh my gosh, I don't envy you! lol

We moved to our current home two years ago. It had one owner, and the couple were very old and had dementia when their adult children lovingly placed them in Assisted Living. As such, we were unable to ask questions about the home and had to go it alone. Big lesson learned JUST IN TIME! Our 1955 home was originally painted with oil-based paint. After I convinced my DH to have a pro paint the whole, 2,200 sq ft home we found out that you have to paint oil based over oil based. Using latex over oil based will literally peel off, so thank goodness we called a pro!

Our home was a mess for the two months it took three, full-time guys to do the job! I used Sherwin Williams Urban Putty color in two rooms and the hallways with white crown molding and wainscoating. I love it; its very clean, classy and calm looking.

I went to Pinterest and found some Galleries that help with placement of art and framed photos on walls. I ended up buying a roll of brown craft paper and making a template of each item we had to hang up. I wrote on the paper with a pencil, identifying each one for the picture it represented. I then used masking tape and placed the brown paper templates on the walls according to the gallery template. My DH got the drill, hammer and picture hangers and we went through the house together, putting each picture up in place of its brown paper template. It worked brilliantly! It required about two hours of planning and effort but wow, did it ever look great when we were finished; it looks like a professional gallery! I was able to get all of my prints, paintings and photos up on the walls without it looking like an ill-planned mishmosh. 

When it came to our kitchen, I wanted a really, really pale yellow and Sherwin Williams didn't have what I wanted. So we bought some Pineapple and mixed it with white until I got the shade I wanted; voila! Perfection! We made sure to write down the ratio of white to yellow in case we need to mix more in the future to match what's there.

The project made chaos out of our home but it was worth it - 1000%!

Best of luck to you!

Respected Contributor

@NickNack Oh, I love a newly painted room and so excited for you!!!...It's like having a new house. I love painting but can't do it anymore...Maybe you can take a pic or 2 ?

Hug Henry for me Heart

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvrwrote:

@NickNack Oh my gosh, I don't envy you! lol

We moved to our current home two years ago. It had one owner, and the couple were very old and had dementia when their adult children lovingly placed them in Assisted Living. As such, we were unable to ask questions about the home and had to go it alone. Big lesson learned JUST IN TIME! Our 1955 home was originally painted with oil-based paint. After I convinced my DH to have a pro paint the whole, 2,200 sq ft home we found out that you have to paint oil based over oil based. Using latex over oil based will literally peel off, so thank goodness we called a pro!

Our home was a mess for the two months it took three, full-time guys to do the job! I used Sherwin Williams Urban Putty color in two rooms and the hallways with white crown molding and wainscoating. I love it; its very clean, classy and calm looking.

I went to Pinterest and found some Galleries that help with placement of art and framed photos on walls. I ended up buying a roll of brown craft paper and making a template of each item we had to hang up. I wrote on the paper with a pencil, identifying each one for the picture it represented. I then used masking tape and placed the brown paper templates on the walls according to the gallery template. My DH got the drill, hammer and picture hangers and we went through the house together, putting each picture up in place of its brown paper template. It worked brilliantly! It required about two hours of planning and effort but wow, did it ever look great when we were finished; it looks like a professional gallery! I was able to get all of my prints, paintings and photos up on the walls without it looking like an ill-planned mishmosh. 

When it came to our kitchen, I wanted a really, really pale yellow and Sherwin Williams didn't have what I wanted. So we bought some Pineapple and mixed it with white until I got the shade I wanted; voila! Perfection! We made sure to write down the ratio of white to yellow in case we need to mix more in the future to match what's there.

The project made chaos out of our home but it was worth it - 1000%!

Best of luck to you!

@AussieLuvr  It sounds like you did a wonderful job!  I've been looking at Pinterest, too, for beige colors.  Urban Putty is one of the paint chip colors that I picked up at S-W.  I'll go back to Pinterest and look at picture hanging ideas.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We just finished up the living room, stairway and upstairs hallway...last year we did the kitchen and laundry/entry rooms.  So glad it is done.

I had a few pictures hanging in the stairway, I took them down for painting, filled the holes and I love the feeling...sounds silly but the stairwell feels bigger.  I have also thinned out some things although not a lot as I have been on that bandwagon for several years I am not a keeper of stuff.

I have windows to wash but the majority of my spring cleaning is done...took care of that while the house was torn up for painting and new carpet.....

You will love your newly painted space...once you decide on a color, which is the hardest part.   For $5.00 you can get a sample can of paint from SW to test on your walls, well worth the money.

Respected Contributor

I would pick a color that you immediately like and feel drawn to. Since you are going to keep it all neutral you could use pictures and things that you genuinely love to bring color into your space and make it feel cozy and welcoming. An all neutral home will feel cold and sterile with no life or personality to it. I understand about wanting to thin things out and not have so much stuff. I would say pick the things you love and that have meaning for you and let that be your guide as to what you keep or get rid of.

Super Contributor

Re: Getting Ready To Paint

[ Edited ]

My last home was painted all one color inside, Benjamin Moore Linen White.  It was recommended to me by a pro painter and I LOVED it!  

To me, it makes a small home look larger, makes the rooms seem more connected.  

When time and budget permit, I'll be doing the same single color interior in my current home.  I like that it allows me to use accessories and even statement furniture pieces to decorate, rather than the wall color.  We currently have a beige-ish wall color in most rooms, and it just feels too dark to me.  We have great light and windows, so I want to embrace that and really brighten it up.  I also am trying to "thin out" my "stuff" to only pieces I truly adore.  

I say if you really love the pictures, find a way to keep them.  Maybe break them up among several rooms?  Or look to Pinterest about creating a gallery wall.  I like the concept, it concentrates art, thus leaving you "open space" elsewhere in the room.  

Good luck with your project Smiley Happy

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicolewrote:

My last home was painted all one color inside, Benjamin Moore Linen White.  It was recommended to me by a pro painter and I LOVED it!  

To me, it makes a small home look larger, makes the rooms seem more connected.  

When time and budget permit, I'll be doing the same single color interior in my current home.  I like that it allows me to use accessories and even statement furniture pieces to decorate, rather than the wall color.  We currently have a beige-ish wall color in most rooms, and it just feels too dark to me.  We have great light and windows, so I want to embrace that and really brighten it up.  I also am trying to "thin out" my "stuff" to only pieces I truly adore.  

I was if you really love the pictures, find a way to keep them.  Maybe break them up among several rooms?  Or look to Pinterest about creating a gallery wall.  I like the concept, it concentrates art, thus leaving you "open space" elsewhere in the room.  

Good luck with your project Smiley Happy

Thanks for the suggestion @Catlady Nicole.  The pictures are actually in every room.  They do need to be thinned out, but it will be hard for me to decide how.  If I really look at them I probably don't still love everything.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Ready To Paint

[ Edited ]

I'm in the middle of remodel and today the painters did my ceilings.  I can't believe how bright my room is & paint isn't even on walls til next Monday!

I took everything down of course and i'm not "cluttering" up the walls again.

I chose Behr "Taste of Honey" (light yellow) for 1 accent wall in kitchen/den area.  Rest of walls are "White Veil" (creamy white).

what started as oh we will just do kitchen/den/hallway & utility room is now complete house.

And i am not putting valances & drapes back up -- keeping it "light & airy".  

Tomorrow chop up tile floors😳 that will be the biggest mess.

Nothing better than freshly painted house!  And great way to rid clutter and freshen house.