Honored Contributor

Re: Firepits ~ Do you use them?

I do have a firepit, we have it placed in the center of a firesafe concrete slab which is about 6' or so from the pool. We use it after swimming if the evening is cool(er), which we haven't had this summer, yet. It is used more in the fall than at any other time. I have a large property (5 lots) and the firepit is about 50' from the house. We have enjoyed it a lot and have had a firepit for many many years. Btw, our neighbor across the street has a wood burning furnace, no difference in smoke from their furnace than our firepit. We do make sure all embers are out before we go inside. I hope everyone who has a firepit enjoy theirs as much as we have enjoyed ours.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

We have one built of stone near our inground pool that is surrounded by a stone patio.  We live where it is HOT, but we use it in the Fall, Winter and Spring.  We really like it.  Our neighbors are not close and the only comments we have heard have been positive.

Super Contributor

We have one w wood and a gas one in a table top. I love making s'mores!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sparklestar wrote:

The only experience I have is my neighbor's have one.  They did not install it according to code.  Our house gets filled with the wood burning smell so I have to shut all my windows when they use it (which really stinks on a nice summer evening).  Personally I don't think they belong in small city yards.  We are surrounded by people that use them.

The ones everyone around us have are stand alone units you pull out of a box, toss some wood into and burn.  There is nothing to install.

Many of my neighbors have them and I never smell the wood burning in them.  I don't think much about them except that right now, being that we are in desperate need of rain and everyone's grass is brown, crispy and like straw, it makes me nervous of a fire.       

Honored Contributor

I don't have a yard but I think a small portable firepit would be nice to have when I move to a place with a nice backyard. I always enjoy sitting around them when visiting with friends/relatives who have one. I'm pretty sure I would not use it enough to consider a built in one even though they are very attractive.

Respected Contributor

We have a firepit in our backyard.  Have used it a few times in the last year.  We're on 10 acres so no one has complained.  They're nice but we don't usually use it unless we have company.