Honored Contributor

I just bought an inexpensive, portable one to see how it might fit my outdoor needs.  Can anyone share their experiences with theirs?

Respected Contributor

Re: Firepits ~ Do you use them?

The only experience I have is my neighbor's have one.  They did not install it according to code.  Our house gets filled with the wood burning smell so I have to shut all my windows when they use it (which really stinks on a nice summer evening).  Personally I don't think they belong in small city yards.  We are surrounded by people that use them.

Honored Contributor

One of my neighbors has one. I know when he is using it.Woman TongueWoman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

A few years ago we ripped out our deck and put in a large Unilock patio.  I anticipated us being out there a lot enjoying time around the firepit.  I wanted a portable pit though so we could arrange our outdoor furniture any way we wanted to without a brick pit being a hinderance. Don't get me wrong, I love our patio and have no regrets, but we've hardly used the firepit anywhere near as much as we thought we would.  We spend most of our time on the patio during the daylight hours when we're out there. It seems that when we have the fire going someone is always the "smoke magnet".  If it's hot and humid, we'd rather stay inside in the A/C anyhow.  For us, the better opportunities for using the pit would be spring and fall.

This is the kind we bought from Lowe's for $99.  For the limited use it's had, I'm even happier that I didn't have a brick one built.
Garden Treasures 29.92-in W Antique Black Steel Wood-Burning Fire Pit

Respected Contributor

I have a firepit that gets used a couple times a month.  You have to be very careful with them!  You don't want it too close to your house or any storage sheds.  A lot of heat generates underneath the pit, so if you aren't placing it on stone or concrete, you need to put a fire mat/pad under it or make a layer of non-flamable material.  My neighbor didn't realize the heat and scorched his deck.  Obviously if the ground is very dry where you are, you need to be double sure to have a hose at the ready or fire extinguisher.

As JeanLouise mentioned, someone always ends up the smoke magnet.  It's a rare evening that we can sit all around the fire pit instead of on one side or the other.

If you live in a town or city, you should check to see if there are any laws/codes that apply to firepits.  We do here in my town.

Honored Contributor

Ours is built into the ground and about all it gets used for is burning yard waste.

Respected Contributor

I do not have one BUT my neighbors do on both sides.  This year they have not used them (YEAH!) but in the past I have had smoke come into my house.  On a warm summer night this is not ok!!!  One time I had to go over and tell them it was that bad.  They were VERY gracious and after that incident they moved it to a far corner and were much more mindful.  Just think of your neighbors and who will be affected by the smoke.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a modest stone built in fire pit, materials from Mennards.

They are popular up here but we have a small amount of acreage so neighbors don't fuss. Cool, chilly nites they are wonderful. Especially if you're burning apple wood or cherry wood.

If someone's fire is giving off too much smoke they may not be using seasoned firewood. Wood that is green, freshly cut or wet produces far more smoke than heat.

Respected Contributor

sparklestar wrote, in part:  "...my neighbor's have one...Our house gets filled with the wood burning smell so I have to shut all my windows when they use it (which really stinks on a nice summer evening)."

We like to sleep with our windows open on pleasant Summer nights.  Our neighbor comments often that the former owners of this house ran the A.C., keeping their windows closed all Summer. Well, DH and I know why -- the neighbors' firepit fills our bedroom and sinuses with the stink of smoke and (wet) burning wood.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

We had one built into our landscaping when we had everything done 2 years ago. Its absolutely wonderful to have a campfire at night as I'm looking at our beautiful lake. Heaven on earth! Heart

"Pure Michigan"