Honored Contributor

Re: Firepits ~ Do you use them?

[ Edited ]

We had one when we lived in Pittsburgh but we  had a large yard and it was as far as possible from the house. I can agree they are not appropriate fora small city or suburb yard where the smoke would bother neighbors.

Oddly, here at camp where you expect a firepit or fire ring our campsite has an actual outdoor fireplace. It is left from an old building that was torn down a long time ago. It's nice to not have to deal with the smoke - up the chimney it goes.We do enjoy our fires when we are here.

Esteemed Contributor

One street over (from me) I heard crackling - loud - behind a house that's in foreclosurer - concerned that the empty house was on fire....I called the police.  Happy to say I never heard that sound again, apparently police put a stop to it.  (that was 2 years ago)

Esteemed Contributor

We have one and only use it occasionally...

Esteemed Contributor

We purchased one two or three  years ago and really used it. It was great for burning those small branches that blow in the yard during the storms. No need to purchased firewood. It was great. We just replaced it this year with the exact same one. We liked the more petite size and it wae constructed so well with cast iron and stone. Both times we actually got lucky with a big sale so it really fit in the budget.  

Regular Contributor

I don't have one, but at least one neighbor has one, because our house fills with the smell of smoke when they use it.  I don't think they belong in a neighborhood where the houses are close together.  We are in severe drought conditions in So. California, so it only takes one spark to start a fire.  I think they should be outlawed here, unless they are gas burning and can't cause sparks.

Respected Contributor

I have a portable firepit I got from Overstock.  It was an impulse purchase for sure. Yes, I wish I had a smaller size.  

I had it three years and only used it a couple of times.  I only move it from the garage to the patio when it gets chilly in the autumn months. I have to have a second person to help me move it because it has a large capacity.  It's cozy when you have made a big batch of chili and a couple of adult beverages to share.

Some of my neighbors use theirs for an adult gathering in the front driveway during Halloween while handing out candy to the neighborhood kids.  

Honored Contributor

We do not have one, but our neighbor behind us has one, and whenever they are going to burn leaves which is always in the fall, she lets us know up front, so we can close our doors and windows, they only burn the leaves 2 or 3 times and they do use it in the summer months as well, but it has never bothered us too much. Our yards aren't huge but they are not small either. I think a lot depends on the type of wood you burn! 

Honored Contributor

I do not have one ,but my son does one bulit into ground,he has a grate for it,he grills out food on it,oh my the food tastes so good, i love the smell of wood burning.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I can't imagine why anyone would have one unless they have a lot of property and live by a lake or something like that where they can have plenty of space between the pit and the seating.  That would seem relaxing to me.  

When I've  seen them put into relatively small landscapes(normal size yards)  in some of those yard crasher type TV shows, they always look like they are too close to the seating or too near the house itself.  I would also be concerned if I had smaller children around. 

Honored Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

I can't imagine why anyone would have one unless they have a lot of property and live by a lake or something like that where they can have plenty of space between the pit and the seating.  That would seem relaxing to me.  

When I've  seen them put into relatively small landscapes(normal size yards)  in some of those yard crasher type TV shows, they always look like they are too close to the seating or too near the house itself.  I would also be concerned if I had smaller children around. 

It's no more 'dangerous' than an unattended stove imo.  We have plenty of space so disturbing our neighbors is not an issue.