Esteemed Contributor

Re: FESTIVE OLD VERMONT HOUSE

@Somertime Wejust have a normal, kind of small firebox. Our house is only about 35 years old. But we make soups, cakes and breads in the Dutch oven, and grilled meats and veggies. Here's good picture of the soot. DH kind of likes it because he thinks it looks historical.

Fireplace.jpg

Here's our grill:

Fireplace Chicken.jpg

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom Fabulous pictures!  Love the idea and you are right, more than likely from the cooking!  Your hubby is right, does make it historical looking!  Love the "sweep" next to it!  I bet everything is delicious!  I'm jealous!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime  Everything cooked over wood logs takes on a different taste from food cooked over charcoal. I especially like the taste venison and trout take on. And chicken pot pie is always better with a few ashes in it. Hahaha! Sometimes we string up a roasting chicken and hang it in front of the fireplace on a snowy Sunday afternoon and let it continually spin by twisting the string over and over. We put a frying pan under it to catch the drippings. It takes hours, but who cares!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   You have my mouth watering!!!!

Valued Contributor

What a surprise to go into this house. I think why so many of us embrace the Christmas in July thing is because it is so BLAZING hot in some areas of the country right now and it offers some relief if only in our minds. I enjoy the fun it represents in July. We go into the month of August with thoughts of the wonderful fall things and make plans for that.

Honored Contributor

Very nice...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”