Respected Contributor

Thank you....I'll find out more tomorrow.

I sort of know her limitations now though, I'm there at the care center at least 2-3 times a day so I know what's going on. They weren't doing any therapy on my mom, then I walked into the therapy office and said "what's going on here?" .... "she's not planning on staying here and that's not an option". WoW, got results. Same with her meds, shook up the care center doctor....just sad, another place "milking" the system. Oh well, I'll report back tomorrow.

Super Contributor
On 2/19/2014 nantucket shore said:

She can stay in her own house and I can bring in help a lot less expensive than the $4,000-$12,000 a month that's in our area. The care center she's getting rehab charges in excess of $10,000 a month for the residents. A full nursing staff is on board so really that's where the expense is.

Well, you did mention medications.

You'll be surprised at how much caregivers cost. They don't just pop in and out all day, to match your schedule.

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/19/2014 nantucket shore said:

Assisted living from what I understand and researched are basically apartments with common area's and based upon your needs is what you pay for.

She can stay in her own house and I can bring in help a lot less expensive than the $4,000-$12,000 a month that's in our area. The care center she's getting rehab charges in excess of $10,000 a month for the residents. A full nursing staff is on board so really that's where the expense is.

(I'm certainly in the wrong business but there's a lot of sick people where my mom is now and it's truly sad what I have witnessed)

Yes, that's probably pretty standard.

Something else to consider is, with in home care, you are bringing people you don't know into her home. Yes they are background checked. The problem is usually dependability. Lots of moms think it's a job they can do while kids are in school and they call in sick when their kids are sick or there is no school

Not trying to scare you, but you need to know, I have also seen instances where the homeworker has a clean background, but the boyfriend, husband, whatever that gives them a ride to and from, does not, and things happen.

If at all possible, you need at least one day a week that you do not have to go help your mom. There is nothing wrong with that. You need to look out for your needs as well as her's.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Occasional Contributor
If your budget permits, you may want to hire a service like Comfort Keepers for a few hours a day. They can make sure your Mom gets up and dressed and eats. We used the service for my Dad for several years. The rate depends on the service you need. The service we used was great about listening to my dad when he and a caregiver did not hit it off. One other item, if you go this route, choose a service that can monitor if the caregiver actually shows up. Another idea, dial 2-1-1 to reach someone knowledgable about community services. It's free and often sponsored by united way.
Occasional Contributor
If your budget permits, you may want to hire a service like Comfort Keepers for a few hours a day. They can make sure your Mom gets up and dressed and eats. We used the service for my Dad for several years. The rate depends on the service you need. The service we used was great about listening to my dad when he and a caregiver did not hit it off. One other item, if you go this route, choose a service that can monitor if the caregiver actually shows up. Another idea, dial 2-1-1 to reach someone knowledgable about community services. It's free and often sponsored by united way.
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor
Forgot one thing, love the tip on a twin bed. Would have helped my Dad. Night lights that come on with movement are good too. Good luck to you.
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone....I do have the brochure for Comfort Keepers and there's another franchise that has similar offerings...one hour is around $32/hr multiple hours are around $21/hr

She has a double bed now, I suggested a twin since she's in one now and doesn't like the size, she wants a double so that's not an option.