Honored Contributor

@ChrissyKR wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bought a product on Amazon which is better than any chemical drain cleaner if hair is the problem.  They are long strips of plastic with barbs on them.  You thread them into the drain, then pull them out.  All the gunk comes out with them and you throw the whole mess away.

20161021_171407.png

EEuuww...I don't even want to be in the same room when those are pulled out....ickySmiley Tongue

I don't either LOL. I just ordered these last night. My housekeeper swears by them and she said she would do the deed.

@ChrissyKR wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bought a product on Amazon which is better than any chemical drain cleaner if hair is the problem.  They are long strips of plastic with barbs on them.  You thread them into the drain, then pull them out.  All the gunk comes out with them and you throw the whole mess away.

20161021_171407.png

EEuuww...I don't even want to be in the same room when those are pulled out....ickySmiley Tongue

I don't either LOL. I just ordered these last night. My housekeeper swears by them and she said she would do the deed.

@ChrissyKR wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

20161021_171407.png

I bought something like this at the (now closed) Drugstore.com.  Worked great.  I try to keep these things handy so I don't have to call a plumber.  This item worked for me in bathroom sink.  I also use the baking soda/white vinegar/hot water treatment too.  Next time will add the blue Dawn as mentioned here. 

Contributor
All those harsh chemicals can ruin your pipes. Also vinegar and baking soda can as well if not done properly. I got that same tool and must say nothing works like that. Based on what I pulled out of the drain, there is nothing on the market that could have gotten it to move. Even if it had it could just clog somewhere else. I was so shocked, and a bit grossed out 😳
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Drain cleaner....

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

20161021_171407.png

This type of tool is also sold at both Lowes and Home Depot in the plumbing area.  It's disgusting, but they really are the best way to rid a drain of hair!!! 

Trusted Contributor

The guy that sells "shock it clean" on HSN, Professor Amos, also has some great drain cleaner that works awesome.

I think it is called Superfast Drain Cleaner. No chemicals, doesn't hurt the pipes, works very fast. It just bubbles and dissolves all the gunk. Can pour it through standing water etc.

Put Shock It Clean into search at HSN and all his products come up. I swear by everything he sells. I buy Shock It Clean every time him (or his son) are on air, cleans everything from soot to laundry to jewelry.

Back to the drain cleaner, it does work well. He also has a follow up maintenance product you can get (if you wish) that you just put in your drains once a week and it dissolves the weekly build-up of soap, hair, yucks so they don't build back up again.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

20161021_171407.png

@Kachina624

I bought these upon your recommendation, and girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl these are AWESOME!Cat Very Happy

I fished out a small Band-Aid out of BF's shower drain (TMI) and now we are back in business with quick drains.

Thank you! Heart

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@henderson wrote:

Purchased Drain Made by BioSmart from our plumber.  It's amazing.  Expensive, but worth it.  I think you can order online.  Don't ever use Drano, etc. -- not recommended by plumbers.

Why is Draino  a no no?  It says in the container will not hurt pipes?

They lie...

Valued Contributor

Please be very careful using chemical drain openers,( i.e. Drano, etc) as they can ruin your finish on your tub, sink and eat the drain finish along with the pipes. 

We bought our house a year and half ago.  The previous owners used something caustic in all the drains.  The chrome was completely ate off the drains and inside the baskets in all the drains (bathtub, bath sink and kitchen sink).  They had no finish left on them. 

The kitchen drains are ate down to the brass and have black spots all over the chrome rings around the drains, also the strainers have no finish and the stainless steel finish in the sink itself is damaged..

My husband had to replace the bathtub drain as it completely fell apart and it wouldn't hold itself open enough to drain the tub.

The bathtub finish is also damaged.. 

I'm not sure what they used, but it completely ruined all the finishes in, sinks and tub .. Will be replacing the kitchen sink, faucet and drains and hopefully won't have to replace some of the pipes (we'll see when the plumber comes over)...

Just please be aware....