Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bought a product on Amazon which is better than any chemical drain cleaner if hair is the problem.  They are long strips of plastic with barbs on them.  You thread them into the drain, then pull them out.  All the gunk comes out with them and you throw the whole mess away.

20161021_171407.png

EEuuww...I don't even want to be in the same room when those are pulled out....ickySmiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone... I knew these boards wouldn't let me down!!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bought a product on Amazon which is better than any chemical drain cleaner if hair is the problem.  They are long strips of plastic with barbs on them.  You thread them into the drain, then pull them out.  All the gunk comes out with them and you throw the whole mess away.

20161021_171407.png

EEuuww...I don't even want to be in the same room when those are pulled out....ickySmiley Tongue

Tee hee @SilleeMee it's gross but it's worth it and after you do it once or twice it's amazing how little you dredge up at least at my house as I am now scrupulous in trying to ensure no hair goes down the drain . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Both daughters have long hair that I am constantly swiffering off the floor, and pulling out of the drain.   Luckily, we are able to access the trap from our bathtub drain in the basement, to make clean out a quick and easy job.  

It is much better to manually clear hair clogs from the drain instead of using caustic chemicals like Drano or lye that get hot when mixed with water, and often do more damage than good.   If these chemicals don't work and you have to call a plumber, ALWAYS show them what you have put in the drain, so they can protect their eyes and skin from possible splashes of whatever is standing in the drain.   

The only thing I ever pour into my drain is peroxide which gets rid of odor and black soap scum, followed by a cup of salt and a pot of boiling hot water.   We have never experienced a clogged drain in the 41 years we've lived on this property.   

Honored Contributor

Target's house brand works for me

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Nothing wrong with using lye responsibly.

If you are on municipal water, there is a small amount of lye injected to keep the pipes clean. 

I buy "main line" liquid cleaner at Walmart in the plumbing aisle.   I use a small amount in all the drains monthly.  I've done it for many years with no problems.

I also use strainers in all my sinks, bathtubs etc to cut down on stuff getting into the drain.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  Are the Vastar cleaners thin?  I got one of those with the brush thing at the end but it wouldn't fit my shower drain cover.  Is this one thing and flat?

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

@momtochloe  Are the Vastar cleaners thin?  I got one of those with the brush thing at the end but it wouldn't fit my shower drain cover.  Is this one thing and flat?

@Tigriss yes they are thin and flexible and fit in all my drains comfortably but I don't believe it would work if your drain is like this:

If you have any other questions just let me know as I know this can be tricky to describe . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Agreeing with the other posters about Green Gobbler.  All you have to do is empty the packet into the drain, use a little bit of hot water to desolve it, wait 15 minutes, then dump a big pot of hot water into the drain. It will release an stinky odor (not because of the Green Gobbler, but whatever it was in your drain).

I use it in my drain periodically to clear it out.

Respected Contributor
@momtochloe Thanks! Mine is a fixed grate with slits not holes, but the concept is the same. It is such a pain. I don't want to use chemicals because I have a septic tank and want to maintain the health of the tank. I may try the Green Gobbler since it is more friendly.