Respected Contributor

NEW MATTRESS @The Dump Store

There are some new furniture stores popping up called The Dump.

They are only open on the weekends and have low prices. I have been to our store a few times, just looking. They other week, they were advertising GREAT pricing on their beds, handmade by a high end manufacturer....

ok , yes I picked one out. I have NEVER had a new mattress shimmy side to side! I'm claiming it's defective. But....I look back on the 3 page receipt, much of which in small print..no refunds, no exchanges, no returns PERIOD! My sales rep didn't mention it, I would NEVER have purchased a mattress from such a store.  It's in my guest room,  stuck for a while.

i just was ignorant, not thinking this happens at a furniture store let alone with a mattress. I tried emailing, I tried a Customer Service. I don't even think it feels like the one in the store, but has the correct numbers on the tag.

I just want to put a warning out there. If you're going to shop there, please check the Yelp reviews and be informed. Be smart, clearly I wasn't. 

Respected Contributor

Re: NEW MATTRESS @The Dump Store

The Dump stores have been around for years, almost 15 years in our area. You can find some really good bargains. 

The BIG  problem these days are mattresses that are just one-sided. The mattress  manufacturers came up with the idea that they could convince their customers they were saving them time not having to turn their mattresses, while cutting their OWN cost by about one half. ( they eliminated one whole mattress side which includes all the labor and materials.). But of course the mattress price was not reduce by half, and it wears out twice as fast since you can't turn it. 

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar Go into the store and ask for the manager and be loud about your concerns.Maybe they won't like you scaring the other customers and be willing to do something to make you satisfied.maybe they do play a game of bait and switch so try to research it online and see what others are saying .We have news stories like that in our area so see if you can get someone interested in your story...usually whoever is reported on resolves the issue right away.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mustang Shar

Thanks so much for posting your experience.  I've been considering buying a new mattress at The Dump.  I will admit I've heard a few comments by friends who have purchased there.  One friend of mine bought a beautiful 10 ft. studded white leather couch and paid for delivery.  When it arrived it had a deep scratch on the bottom end.  The drivers just shrugged their shoulders.  It was securely wrapped when delivered.  My friend didn't have any luck replacing or recovering any money for it either.

My cousin bought a dining room set.  One of the legs on a chair was scraped.  Same thing - no luck when she called to speak to the department manager.

I think I'll stick to Macy's annual mattress sale.  Another friend of mine bought her mattress set there and loves it.  (I think I've missed that window of time this year.)

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

I think the name of the store says it all. I am sorry you got a bad deal. I would never buy a cut rate mattress though. Sleeping is to important to me. 

Honored Contributor

From what I'm reading here, it sounds like they are buying seconds or "scratch & dent".

Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard of this store, but I agree it does sound like seconds. My question is this and I have no idea at all, but, isn't returning a mattress once its sold and shipped against health codes? 

Honored Contributor

@riley1 A lot of places give you a number of nights to try but you must purchase the special waterproof protector from them.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

A lot of places give you a number of nights to try but you must purchase the special waterproof protector from them.

It also used to be, I don't know if it's true anymore or allowable,  that if they were going to resell them they had to remove the original tag and replace it with a different colored tag that stated it was used or refurbished.

I would never buy a mattress from any store that lets you try them for a certain number of nights.

Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I think the name of the store says it all. I am sorry you got a bad deal. I would never buy a cut rate mattress though. Sleeping is to important to me. 

When people tell you who they are, believe them. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.