Honored Contributor

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good drain cleaner?

I do the vinegar and baking soda on occasion but I need to purchase something....the drain in my husband's bathroom is....s l o w........

I don't like using that stuff but I need to do something, thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Drain cleaner....

[ Edited ]

I bought a product on Amazon which is better than any chemical drain cleaner if hair is the problem.  They are long strips of plastic with barbs on them.  You thread them into the drain, then pull them out.  All the gunk comes out with them and you throw the whole mess away.

20161021_171407.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

I first do the vinegar/baking soda combination, then I close the drain and let it rest for several minutes.

In the meantime, I use a kettle to bring hot water and a few drops of blue Dawn up to a high temp (not boiling) and then I open the drain and "chase" the vinegar/baking soda with the hot water and Dawn.  That seems to do the trick, but you might need to repeat the steps.  I also use a plunger sometimes after doing that if I find that the drain is still slow.  It is not a hair problem, but rather a "black gunk" problem in my case.

Contributor

Hair and Grease opener. I leave it in overnite or 8 hours. Just discovered it at Home Depot. It is in a black jug in a bag. Very strong stuff, has lye in it.   Nothing worked, but this stuff. LOVE IT!!!!! I tried to go natural did not work and Nothing at the market worked. 

Esteemed Contributor

QVC sells - or did - a great one - Green Globber.  I have a rental with a tub drain that puzzled everybody.  I gave a box of GG to the tenant, he followed directions and it's never been a problem since.  So many young gals have long long hair and tub drains always act up first. 

Esteemed Contributor

A P.S.   Just read another poster - about a product with lye.  My plumber says....never use lye, it will eat your pipes!   The Green Gobbler is safe - gentle and will not harm your plumbing. 

Another idea -  my dog hair plugged my drain before knowing about GG, so I had the plumber come and snake out the line.

Lye is an absolute no - no - no!  (you'll be sorry)

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bought a product on Amazon which is better than any chemical drain cleaner if hair is the problem.  They are long strips of plastic with barbs on them.  You thread them into the drain, then pull them out.  All the gunk comes out with them and you throw the whole mess away.

20161021_171407.png

I've seen these at Home Depot too.

I do something similar - I have a long sewing bodkin. It has a tiny latch hook at the end. I open the latch hook and dip it down the drain; the hook closes as I bring it back up - sometimes with the most disgusting combination of hair and gunk attached.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624. Thank you.  I have long hair and I could use this tool.  I will tell my kids also as the DILs have thick long hair.   Maybe a good stocking stuffer.  I try to find small unusual items for the stockings.  Of course an orange goes in the toes first.

Trusted Contributor

Purchased Drain Made by BioSmart from our plumber.  It's amazing.  Expensive, but worth it.  I think you can order online.  Don't ever use Drano, etc. -- not recommended by plumbers.

Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Purchased Drain Made by BioSmart from our plumber.  It's amazing.  Expensive, but worth it.  I think you can order online.  Don't ever use Drano, etc. -- not recommended by plumbers.

Why is Draino  a no no?  It says in the container will not hurt pipes?