Trusted Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

@Mominohio wrote:

@DecorDiva wrote:

I've been putting away Christmas decorations, and there are some things I would like to donate, but none of the charities in my area take any Christmas things after Christmas.  I guess they will live in a box in my basement until next holiday season.  I did manage to put together a box of household items and decorations that I'm going to take to a veteran's charity this afternoon.  I'm really going to make an effort in 2020 to reduce in all categories.  

I know everywhere I've been, Goodwill, Volunteers of America, and Salvation Army thrift stores will take holiday items all year long. Maybe check those? 

@DecorDiva 

Thanks @Mominohio  - I'll have to check Salvation Army - Goodwill was a definite no.  I live in a populated area and they are probably too inundated with holiday stuff after Christmas.  

Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

In mid-November, I started selling odds and ends on Facebook Marketplace...mainly Temp-tations bakeware/dishes along with other brands of dishes.  This is such a much better method of selling things than having a garage sale!  As you find an item to sell, you can just take photos of it and post them and the description...done!  No need to put things back in an area of your home and garage waiting for that garage sale and cluttering up yet another area of your home!  Then you just meet the buyer in a safe location, and that's it!

I price all of my stuff cheaply as my goal is to gain space, and if I make a little money in the process, so be it!  I think this is why I've had great success selling this way--cheap prices!  I find that you can't get as much as you do on eBay, but you can get more than what you would ask at a garage sale, plus you have hundreds/thousands of people who see your offerings instead of just a few who frequent garage sales, so if priced right, things sell reasonably quickly.

A friend of mine sells on FB Marketplace so gave me some suggestions on how to do it safely and efficiently. Using her advice and lessons learned from my own experience, I highly recommend it!  If anyone is interested in advice on how to effectively sell on FB Marketplace, let me know.

@Ainhisg  - I would appreciate any info on this - it's something I might like to try.  

Honored Contributor

We were getting the bedroom ready for new carpeting tomorrow and I went through the TV cabinet to find maybe 25 VHS tapes of old shows we recorded.  Out they went.   

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year Everyone!

Many years ago, when I was selling Mia Bella and Avon products, my SO started a spreadsheet so I could keep track of my inventory. I kept a record of body, face and hair products, and later added toothpaste & mouthwash, and candles since I had quite a stockpile of those items.

Today I decided to do an experiment. I compared the January 2019 amounts to January 2020. I actually have 32 more items than I did last year at this time!

So, I can see that though last year I concentrated on decluttering, and did well (though I could have done better), this year I need to concentrate on bringing less items in and using up what I have.

Hmm, I might have to start another spreadsheet (items going out vs items coming in). It's eye opening when one looks at the numbers on paper.

Honored Contributor

You ladies are rocking it on this first day of the New Year. Yay for you.
I spent the morning helping out my big brother, then this afternoon I removed all the tiles from the bathroom and linen closet floor, in prep for new flooring and commode tomorrow.
I'm exhausted, lol, I'm not used to this kind of hard labor.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva   @Mominohio   The Salvation Army here will no longer take anything unless there is furniture, thus ended a tradition begun by my Mother, then carried on by me, but will no longer use them, even if I have furniture, that will go to someone else.  The guy on the phone when I called last year, was very rude to boot.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DecorDiva   Here you go in no certain order:

1)  Make sure the item is clean/washed.  Take several photos (if applicable) and take photos of any defects.

2)  In your description, make sure you note any defects, list measurements, tell if an item is new, etc.

3)  Make sure your photos are clear and bright and only show what is being sold.

4)  To get an idea of how to price something, look a similar item up on FB MP and see what others are asking.  For example, I sold 2 egg cookers today.  Most people were selling them (new or used) for $5.  I had 2 to sell, so offered them for $5 each or both for $8.  This set me apart from other sellers.  Plus I had a rotary grater still in the box that I had only used a few times (it was a cheapie, and I really didn't like using it), so I said that if someone bought both for $8, they would get a free rotary grater and had a photo of that, too.  Boom!  Both sold!

5)  In your listing, make sure you write (any that are applicable):  Smoke-free home, pet-free home, no holds, and if you live in a larger city, the general area of your city.  At the end of every one of my descriptions, I write, "Smoke-free home.  NO HOLDS, SOUTHEAST XXXX."  A  lot of people only look at photos but having that written out protects you, and many people do read all the information. It will also keep some people from responding who might waste your time if they live way over on the other side of town.

6)  I list things early in the morning so that I can meet people that day.  That works for me, because I'm retired.  If someone wants to buy something but can't meet until the next day, and it's still early in the day, I tell them to check back tomorrow, and that if it's still available, I would be happy to meet them.  (NO HOLDS) You don't want to tie up an item waiting on someone who might cancel on you after thinking about it.  If it's later in the day, then I do go ahead and get a firm meeting time for the next day.

7)  Set your meeting place somewhere close and convenient to YOU!  Don't meet somewhere else to make it easier on them.  You're already taking a loss on your item (compared to what you paid) so don't lose even more time and money by driving to where it's convenient for THEM.  I meet at a frozen custard place that's 2 minutes (at most) from my home. I refuse to meet elsewhere, because trust me...someone else will come along who wants your item and will meet where you designate. The parking lot is small, we can park behind the building, and that place has a booming business so there are cars going through the drive through the whole time it's open.  So--lots of traffic at the store for safety reasons and a small parking lot to make it easy to find the person.  CVS and Walgreen's work well for meeting spots, too.

8)  I use my laptop to set up transactions as that is easier for me.  I have a "notepad" on my laptop (as do most computers, tablets, phones), and I have "scripts" pasted in the notepad so that when someone asks me where I meet, I just go to my notepad, copy the info I need, and paste it in my response.  Saves lots of time!  Here are mine (with personal information redacted):

I meet at the XXXX Frozen Custard at XXXX South (insert street name).

I can meet this afternoon or early evening at the XXXX Frozen Custard at XXXX South (insert street name)

Great!  That will be $15--exact cash, please.  I will be at the XXXX Frozen Custard at XXXX South (Street name)  at 5:00 sharp. I drive a white Ford Explorer. I will be on the back (east) side of the building. What will you be driving?

9)  I found out it's really important to put in the exact street address if you live in a bigger city.  When I first started selling, I had 2 different people go to the wrong frozen custard place even though I wrote it was the one on South XXXX.  I now put the street number, and since it's at an intersection, I write the name of the intersecting street, too.

10)  Make sure you have the FB Messenger app installed as that is how people will communicate with you if they're running late or arrive early.  When you get to the meeting place, message them and tell them you're there.  If they've forgotten they're supposed to meet you, that will remind them, and you can decide how you want to handle it.  (Cancel?  Wait on them?  Etc.)  If they're on their way, they will usually message you back telling you that.  Make sure you're the first one there so that you can see them pull in and so that they don't have to wait.  FB MP does have a place that people can rate buyers and sellers.

11)  Personally, if someone has forgotten, I don't give them a second chance.  My life has enough difficulties in it without trying to reschedule with someone who is unorganized.  I have one of my "scripts" ready if someone tells me that they've forgotten or are going to be over 15 minutes late, etc..:  "No worries! Let's just forget about it."  I don't wait over 15 minutes for anyone.  I tell them that I need to leave and then say the script about forgetting about it.  

12)  After you make firm arrangements to meet someone, mark the item pending, and don't forget to mark it sold after it's sold.  

13)  If someone doesn't have the correct amount of change (item is $15 and they hand you a $20) tell them you don't have change and don't even have your purse with you.  (Which is the truth for me--for safety reasons, I only meet women, and I only have my phone, driver's license, and keys).  Most of the time, they'll just tell you to keep the change.  Since you're meeting at a business, they could also go in and get change for the $20, but their problem is not yours.  You told them exact cash.  I don't take checks, either.  If someone leaves without buying the item because of no exact cash, I give them a bad rating.

14)  If something hasn't sold after the first week, FB MP gives you an option to relist it.  I do, and I mark it down.  If it hasn't sold by the end of the second week, I mark it down again.   I keep going until it sells or I'm at my bottom dollar.  You can always remove your listing and list it again in the future.  Another thing, FB has algorithms that detect if photos have already been used, so if you ever end up having to make a whole new listing (I think FB only lets you relist things 6 times), you have to take all new photos or FB flags the new listing and won't post it.

15)  I keep sticky notes by my computer.  When a sale is arranged, I write the person's name on the note, what they bought, how much it was, what time/when I'm meeting them, and what they'll be driving.  I lay the items out on my table with the sticky notes on them.  Then when it's time to go, I load the items in the back and put the sticky notes on my passenger seat.  Then I know for which car to look and what they're buying.

16)  When I have a sale go through and a time is set, if I have a subsequent sale that day, I see if they can meet at the same time as the other sale.  If not, I meet them at a good time for both of us.  Surprisingly, a lot of times, 2 meeting times per day will take care of multiple people like a 1:00 meeting time and a 5:30 meeting time.  That way, you only have 2 pickup times that day but are meeting multiple people.  (Another good reason to use the sticky note system.)

A lot of this is just common sense, and I'm sure I've forgotten some things.  I'm sure @Mominohio might have some more advice.  I wrote a lot, but don't let it intimidate you.  lol  Most of this advice would come naturally to most people to do.  And as you do it more and more, you'll get very fast at responding and knowing what to say.

You can do this!  Smiley Happy  If I can be of further help, please let me know!

Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg  Awesome post on selling on FB, thank you!  Is there any way to post an item to sell & have it not show on your own FB friends newsfeed/posts?

Respected Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

@Ainhisg  Awesome post on selling on FB, thank you!  Is there any way to post an item to sell & have it not show on your own FB friends newsfeed/posts?

Thank you! Yes, toward the end of the listing "process," you have choices to click of where you want your listing to post. I only choose marketplace. 

Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg  - thank you so much for taking the time to post all that great information!