Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

@mare54 - Congratulations on the move! It is a lot of work for sure, but it can also be a lot of fun starting over!

Esteemed Contributor

Not ready to start the January purge just yet. Yesterday was spent cleaning and returning the house to normal following a joyous family Christmas celebration on Sunday. Having two extra days to prepare was nice!

I finally got tired of having multiple spices fall on me and on the counter top every time I reached into that cabinet. I ordered the Spice Spinner- K50875 when it was on sale and free shipping on QVC a couple of weeks ago. Price compared favorably to BB&B with 20% off coupon. I saved a total of $10.00 over the present QVC price.

This morning I cleaned and organized that spice/ seasonings cabinet including the new organizer. I must have cleaned it out last January because I only found 2 duplicates: a small Pumpkin Pie spice and a small jar of Bay leaves which lacked any aroma, so I think they were very old. Pitched them along with an old medication for my dog. The tiered wire thing that the spices kept "jumping" off of was cleaned and put in the garage donation box. The new spinner comes with 3 tiers,but I am only able to use 2. I tried to move the shelf up one notch but I was unable to do so.The item has mixed reviews but it's an improvement for my kitchen.

Investing in the proper organizational tools is necessary. My base cabinets are a mess after a year and will be the first area to purge come 1/1/21.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva -I agree about proper organizational tools being necessary in a functional home. I read so many declutter blogs/articles about how you can't organize clutter by buying more storage bins, etc. and that you have to declutter, etc. But it certainly does help to have proper organization for the items that you deem necessary to keep. I want to work on that this year.

I bought some storage containers from the dollar store already to contain small, loose items, such as batteries, matches, etc. But I want to start thinking about possible ways to make my kitchen and home easier to navigate, like maybe some drawer dividers, pull out racks for the lower cupboards, things like that. Something for me to work on this coming year. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@AuntG - This declutter thread has been going on for several years now and I plan to start a new one in 2021, so please come back and post your progress for us!

----------

On the eve of New Year's Eve, I started to put presents away and found a few things to purge @rnmom . Two grocery bags were filled with old Christmas decor that had seen better days. Getting rid of Snowball" a big stuffed bear I got when the kids visited Santa 30 years ago was hard. When I pulled back his hat and scarf, I could see his white fur had turned gray! Then I threw out a cracked bowl and an old cutting board from the kitchen. Our tree will stay up a little longer but other things that scream "Christmas" came down. Still have snowmen and greenery out. Happy New Year to those on this thread.🍾

Honored Contributor

Do any of you have something called Nextdoor where you live? it is a local website that the people in your various neighborhoods post all sorts of things from stolen packages, to car prowls to moving sales and for sale or trade or free items---kind of like a local Craigs List----anyway, I actually sold some kitchen appliances and a new serger sewing machine this past week----have a few more things I will post too. Was easy and I got rid of stuff that was taking up room. I usually just donate but why not make a few bucks. 

So--an ice cream maker, a yogurt maker, an electric fry pan and the serger all have new homes----Man Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Today's purge: returning 4 items to Costco.

The credit to my card should be about equal to the purchases I plan to make, so that's a good thing.

The last time I did a store return and purchase the difference was $.01- in my favor, LOL!

When I return home I need to purge the fridge. First trash pickup since Christmas is tomorrow and it's the last pickup for 2020. Out with the old!

Honored Contributor

Took a few very small things to Goodwill this morning to finish out the year with them.

I have a few small things to take to consignment.  They are closed and will reopen on Saturday. So I'll take them then. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I've spent the day filling trash bags of things trucker daughter said could go. After reminding her several times from Thanksgiving to now, I'm making sure we start the new year without it. Our bag limit each week is 6, so bag #7 is in my brothers trash can!
Respected Contributor

@wagirl -Nice! It's always good when you can make a couple of bucks on our unloved items rather than just donating them.