Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

@Ainhisg wrote:

@DecorDiva   Here you go in no certain order:

1)  Make sure the item is clean/washed.  Take several photos (if applicable) and take photos of any defects.

2)  In your description, make sure you note any defects, list measurements, tell if an item is new, etc.

3)  Make sure your photos are clear and bright and only show what is being sold.

4)  To get an idea of how to price something, look a similar item up on FB MP and see what others are asking.  For example, I sold 2 egg cookers today.  Most people were selling them (new or used) for $5.  I had 2 to sell, so offered them for $5 each or both for $8.  This set me apart from other sellers.  Plus I had a rotary grater still in the box that I had only used a few times (it was a cheapie, and I really didn't like using it), so I said that if someone bought both for $8, they would get a free rotary grater and had a photo of that, too.  Boom!  Both sold!

5)  In your listing, make sure you write (any that are applicable):  Smoke-free home, pet-free home, no holds, and if you live in a larger city, the general area of your city.  At the end of every one of my descriptions, I write, "Smoke-free home.  NO HOLDS, SOUTHEAST XXXX."  A  lot of people only look at photos but having that written out protects you, and many people do read all the information. It will also keep some people from responding who might waste your time if they live way over on the other side of town.

6)  I list things early in the morning so that I can meet people that day.  That works for me, because I'm retired.  If someone wants to buy something but can't meet until the next day, and it's still early in the day, I tell them to check back tomorrow, and that if it's still available, I would be happy to meet them.  (NO HOLDS) You don't want to tie up an item waiting on someone who might cancel on you after thinking about it.  If it's later in the day, then I do go ahead and get a firm meeting time for the next day.

7)  Set your meeting place somewhere close and convenient to YOU!  Don't meet somewhere else to make it easier on them.  You're already taking a loss on your item (compared to what you paid) so don't lose even more time and money by driving to where it's convenient for THEM.  I meet at a frozen custard place that's 2 minutes (at most) from my home. I refuse to meet elsewhere, because trust me...someone else will come along who wants your item and will meet where you designate. The parking lot is small, we can park behind the building, and that place has a booming business so there are cars going through the drive through the whole time it's open.  So--lots of traffic at the store for safety reasons and a small parking lot to make it easy to find the person.  CVS and Walgreen's work well for meeting spots, too.

8)  I use my laptop to set up transactions as that is easier for me.  I have a "notepad" on my laptop (as do most computers, tablets, phones), and I have "scripts" pasted in the notepad so that when someone asks me where I meet, I just go to my notepad, copy the info I need, and paste it in my response.  Saves lots of time!  Here are mine (with personal information redacted):

I meet at the XXXX Frozen Custard at XXXX South (insert street name).

I can meet this afternoon or early evening at the XXXX Frozen Custard at XXXX South (insert street name)

Great!  That will be $15--exact cash, please.  I will be at the XXXX Frozen Custard at XXXX South (Street name)  at 5:00 sharp. I drive a white Ford Explorer. I will be on the back (east) side of the building. What will you be driving?

9)  I found out it's really important to put in the exact street address if you live in a bigger city.  When I first started selling, I had 2 different people go to the wrong frozen custard place even though I wrote it was the one on South XXXX.  I now put the street number, and since it's at an intersection, I write the name of the intersecting street, too.

10)  Make sure you have the FB Messenger app installed as that is how people will communicate with you if they're running late or arrive early.  When you get to the meeting place, message them and tell them you're there.  If they've forgotten they're supposed to meet you, that will remind them, and you can decide how you want to handle it.  (Cancel?  Wait on them?  Etc.)  If they're on their way, they will usually message you back telling you that.  Make sure you're the first one there so that you can see them pull in and so that they don't have to wait.  FB MP does have a place that people can rate buyers and sellers.

11)  Personally, if someone has forgotten, I don't give them a second chance.  My life has enough difficulties in it without trying to reschedule with someone who is unorganized.  I have one of my "scripts" ready if someone tells me that they've forgotten or are going to be over 15 minutes late, etc..:  "No worries! Let's just forget about it."  I don't wait over 15 minutes for anyone.  I tell them that I need to leave and then say the script about forgetting about it.  

12)  After you make firm arrangements to meet someone, mark the item pending, and don't forget to mark it sold after it's sold.  

13)  If someone doesn't have the correct amount of change (item is $15 and they hand you a $20) tell them you don't have change and don't even have your purse with you.  (Which is the truth for me--for safety reasons, I only meet women, and I only have my phone, driver's license, and keys).  Most of the time, they'll just tell you to keep the change.  Since you're meeting at a business, they could also go in and get change for the $20, but their problem is not yours.  You told them exact cash.  I don't take checks, either.  If someone leaves without buying the item because of no exact cash, I give them a bad rating.

14)  If something hasn't sold after the first week, FB MP gives you an option to relist it.  I do, and I mark it down.  If it hasn't sold by the end of the second week, I mark it down again.   I keep going until it sells or I'm at my bottom dollar.  You can always remove your listing and list it again in the future.  Another thing, FB has algorithms that detect if photos have already been used, so if you ever end up having to make a whole new listing (I think FB only lets you relist things 6 times), you have to take all new photos or FB flags the new listing and won't post it.

15)  I keep sticky notes by my computer.  When a sale is arranged, I write the person's name on the note, what they bought, how much it was, what time/when I'm meeting them, and what they'll be driving.  I lay the items out on my table with the sticky notes on them.  Then when it's time to go, I load the items in the back and put the sticky notes on my passenger seat.  Then I know for which car to look and what they're buying.

16)  When I have a sale go through and a time is set, if I have a subsequent sale that day, I see if they can meet at the same time as the other sale.  If not, I meet them at a good time for both of us.  Surprisingly, a lot of times, 2 meeting times per day will take care of multiple people like a 1:00 meeting time and a 5:30 meeting time.  That way, you only have 2 pickup times that day but are meeting multiple people.  (Another good reason to use the sticky note system.)

A lot of this is just common sense, and I'm sure I've forgotten some things.  I'm sure @Mominohio might have some more advice.  I wrote a lot, but don't let it intimidate you.  lol  Most of this advice would come naturally to most people to do.  And as you do it more and more, you'll get very fast at responding and knowing what to say.

You can do this!  Smiley Happy  If I can be of further help, please let me know!

Excellent job

i also changed my Facebook name slightly I was doing stuf. In town but out of town , changed it ladies might want to think about it 

Respected Contributor

@Laneysmom -Welcome, we are so glad you are here! Please post often!

Respected Contributor

@withaK -Wonderful to have you join us! Anything that leaves counts, it's all forward progress! Here's to a lighter 2020!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs -Is there anyone else in the family that would enjoy the crewel piece?

Can you take a picture of it and let go of the actual object? 

If you really want to keep it maybe you can at least take it out of the frame and fold it up and put it away so that it's not taking up as much space as a large picture frame.

You could probably have it made into a pillow case if you think it's something you would use and enjoy, pillow cases are very easy to sew. But if it's still not something that you think you would want to use I wouldn't waste my time. 

Respected Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

Happy New Year Everyone!

Many years ago, when I was selling Mia Bella and Avon products, my SO started a spreadsheet so I could keep track of my inventory. I kept a record of body, face and hair products, and later added toothpaste & mouthwash, and candles since I had quite a stockpile of those items.

Today I decided to do an experiment. I compared the January 2019 amounts to January 2020. I actually have 32 more items that I did last year at this time!

So, I can see that though last year I concentrated on decluttering, and did well (though I could have done better), this year I need to concentrate on bringing less items in and using up what I have.

Hmm, I might have to start another spreadsheet (items going out vs items coming in). It's eye opening when one looks at the numbers on paper.

@Eager2Learn - That's absolutely so true about items coming in vs items going out. While decluttering is important and is never ending, we definitely need to stop the flow of items coming in or else we won't make any headway. Excellent point!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have a crewel embroidery piece that my mom crafted years ago...She gave it to my grandma, and grandma gave it to me.  It's all hand stitched, and in a large frame....but not my style at all.  My grandma wrote on the back that mom made it and that grandama gave it to me, when mom died.  It has been in a closet ever since.  Everytime I look at it it makes me sad that it's not out but...I don't want to display it....any ideas?

I did think of making a pillow and have the reverse side something more my style but there again, I don't have a lot of pillows sitting around either...it's a issue for me.

I understand your dilemma!  I would probably not be able to purge that...not with the family history.  I like the idea of making a pillow..,,could you add it to a guest room bed, perhaps?

Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness, everyone is doing such an amazing job already this year! I just finished reading all of the posts for the year so far, and I am so impressed! You ladies have some awesome ideas for decluttering and donating, thank you to everyone for sharing!

I have been puttering here a bit too. I don't really have big purging to do, but I do like to keep up on it by doing little bits here and there. Both my boys recycled their 2019 calendars and put up new 2020 ones, and I also added 3 more to my donation box. I get tons of them from charity groups and just can't use that many. 

I peeked in my closet to organize my shelves a bit and didn't get rid of much, but condensed and neatened things up. We don't have a lot of shelf space, but I tossed a pillowcase, a small bag and a small box. Hubby is donating a pair of shoes.

I put 2 plastic cups in my donate box along with some extra Christmas/greeting cards and a round cooler from a pool float that we don't have anymore. The cooler was never used. 

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear   Yes!  I knew I would forget some things.  I actually have 2 FB accounts.  One has only my first name and a made up middle name, and that is the one from which I sell.  I already had it created as I join FB groups with that account so that anything I would write in the public groups won't show up on my "real" news feed for friends and family to see.

I also wanted to add that if you're contacted by someone who just hits you wrong, or wants to come to your house to see an item, or is late in meeting you, or is a no-show...that you can block them, and I do.  You just go to their profile page and block them there.  Then they can't see your items or ever contact you in the future.  I had one buyer who wanted several of my items.  An hour before we were supposed to meet, she told me that she only had $40 and asked if I would take that for the items.  The total cost was $44, and she was getting a bargain at that price!  I basically told her that but in a nice way.  Well, at the time, I was meeting people at a CVS near me, and I saw her get there and go into the store.  I assumed she was getting additional money for the sale.  NOPE!  She came over to the car and instead of leaving a $4 item behind, she decide not to take a $15 item.  That really hit me wrong as the $15 item had been pending all day, since she said she wanted it, and I could have sold it to someone else. When I got home, I blocked her.  Had some man contact me wanting to come to my house to look at an item and gave me his phone number!  I couldn't block him fast enough.  lol  But 90% of my sales have gone easily and well, and I have met some really nice people.   I even have repeat buyers of some Temp-tation patterns.

Respected Contributor

I woke up with the stomach bug yesterday. So the only purging I did was what I ate NY Eve.  Today my stomach feels pretty good....maybe later today I will attempt some organizing of bedroom dresser drawers.

Great seeing all the posts and the headway people have made already!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

@jackthebear   Yes!  I knew I would forget some things.  I actually have 2 FB accounts.  One has only my first name and a made up middle name, and that is the one from which I sell.  I already had it created as I join FB groups with that account so that anything I would write in the public groups won't show up on my "real" news feed for friends and family to see.

I also wanted to add that if you're contacted by someone who just hits you wrong, or wants to come to your house to see an item, or is late in meeting you, or is a no-show...that you can block them, and I do.  You just go to their profile page and block them there.  Then they can't see your items or ever contact you in the future.  I had one buyer who wanted several of my items.  An hour before we were supposed to meet, she told me that she only had $40 and asked if I would take that for the items.  The total cost was $44, and she was getting a bargain at that price!  I basically told her that but in a nice way.  Well, at the time, I was meeting people at a CVS near me, and I saw her get there and go into the store.  I assumed she was getting additional money for the sale.  NOPE!  She came over to the car and instead of leaving a $4 item behind, she decide not to take a $15 item.  That really hit me wrong as the $15 item had been pending all day, since she said she wanted it, and I could have sold it to someone else. When I got home, I blocked her.  Had some man contact me wanting to come to my house to look at an item and gave me his phone number!  I couldn't block him fast enough.  lol  But 90% of my sales have gone easily and well, and I have met some really nice people.   I even have repeat buyers of some Temp-tation patterns.

have been doing Freecycle so you really do get some 'people" . they can come , but not today, maybe tomorrow,  I have no patience for that 

just need to be sensible 

I think having a separate account for the marketplace is a perfect way to go.   

I just changed my Fbk name recently as our Freecyle group changed, and I joined a few other groups, granted we can't hide much now  but it's something