Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

Lots of nervous energy today. I have 2 shopping bags ready to go to Goodwill tomorrow. 

Getting rid of 2 throws, in my continuous quest to reduce the number we have, 1 throw pillow, some jewelry from Talbots, a few paperback books that I'm never going to read and a small throw rug that I just had to have and now when I look at it I don't like it at all.  And a small lidded casserole dish that I think belonged to my mother in law but I have never used it and don't plan to use it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did sort of a PRE- purge.....does that count?  I had ordered that set of three ceramic trucks with the lighted Christmas trees in back, driven by the old-fashioned snowman, Santa and reindeer.  They are so cute...but I don't need them, and really have no place to put them.  I canceled my order.

Honored Contributor

re Monitors

These are difficult to get rid of and you usally have to pay a fee.  Schools and libraries won't accept them if they are old anymore.  

Best Buy will take them for a $25 fee and they don't accept monitors in all states.

My city recycles them for a small fee as well.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Took my two shopping bags to Goodwill this morning. I also added a basket that held our few dvds. I was able to do something else with the dvds and got rid of the basket.  I also took 2 framed broadway musical posters that I've had on our office wall for years and in the house before this one for years.  It was time for them to go. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I think that Goodwill, etc. are beginning to open in our area so I guess, now that the school year is over (such as it was) and I have time, poop will hit the fan to get rid of things!  I was on a roll, thanks to all of you up until things shut down in March.  Looks like not really planning a vaca this summer so will be home and time to get some things in order again!

Hope everyone is well - thinking of mr. G Gidget and hope he's doing better.   

Honored Contributor

I went through the family collection of music cassettes.  Yes, you read that right - music cassettes.  101 cassettes are going plus the 2 organizers (anyone remember these)

Audio Cassette Tape 24 Storage Case Vintage Organizer Holder Faux ...

This picture is of the style that held 24 cassettes.  Mine held 48 cassettes each. 

I have a Sony boombox that plays cassettes so I didn't get rid of my Hall and Oates collection.

I have albums that are in great shape and I want to see if they are worth anything before I decide what to do with them.  Thank goodness vinyl records have been having a 'moment' the last few years.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Went through my closet and washed all my tops (five loads). Then I threw out several things. I now have 37 outfits which are equally divided for warm and cold weather. Kept six outerwear items for when it starts to cool down.  With Covid, and no longer going to work, I finally have the right amount of clothes. 

Contributor

This is so motivational. I'm right with you, ladies. I've trained my 19-year-old daughter to purge regularly. She took a BUNCH of stuff to Goodwill today. We are big thrift shoppers (and regular shoppers), but our motto is, "One old thing out for every new thing in." Today the main items were paperbacks (already read) and glassware.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I went through the family collection of music cassettes.  Yes, you read that right - music cassettes.  101 cassettes are going plus the 2 organizers (anyone remember these)

Audio Cassette Tape 24 Storage Case Vintage Organizer Holder Faux ...

This picture is of the style that held 24 cassettes.  Mine held 48 cassettes each. 

I have a Sony boombox that plays cassettes so I didn't get rid of my Hall and Oates collection.

I have albums that are in great shape and I want to see if they are worth anything before I decide what to do with them.  Thank goodness vinyl records have been having a 'moment' the last few years.  

@Bird mama -Yes, I remember these!  We used to have organizers like these for our VHS tapes too! There was a time when I had well over 100 cassette tapes, probably 150. I still have probably 80 of them, all in a big wooden organizer that I used to hang on my wall as a kid. I still have the organizer it's just sitting on my floor. I used to have a couple of additional organizers too but I was able to get rid of those as I got rid of some cassette tapes.

Ultimately I want to get rid of the big wooden organizer but I'm not sure what to do with the cassettes I still have. As long as they work I'm not ready to get rid of all of them yet. I need to actually take the time to try to play them because half of them might not even work.

I tried one of them in my boom box a couple months ago and it wasn't playing well at all. I should toss it, but haven't yet. I need to try it again and make sure it's the actual tape and not the player I won't keep anything that doesn't work, but if they're working, I'm having a hard time parting with the rest. 

Respected Contributor

@voicesmom - Welcome! Join in often, we love to hear what everyone is getting rid of!