Respected Contributor

Re: Consignment Finds Today...

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Nonametoday   You are so right about pieces not being real wood.  It's too expensive to use all real wood.  What a shame.  I wish I had my mother & father's bedroom set which was real wood.

I know exactly what you mean.  My father passed away before my mother and when we were closing up her house I would have loved to have taken their complete bedroom set.  They had purchased it when they first got married in the late 1930's. My mother lovingly cared for it and even after all of those years it still was in pristine condition.  It was solid oak and about as sturdy as you could find.

I was much younger and thought it might seem too old for my home.  What a mistake. We ended up having an auctioneer take most of the furniture and although we did fairly well I still regretted seeing so many of my parent's items going to other families.   

Now many many years later I realize just how well built furniture from those early years were compared to furniture made after the 80's.   I probably don't have even one piece of furniture that can even compare quality wise to what my parents had in their home.