Honored Contributor

Re: Consignment Finds Today...

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Nonametoday 

wow that's the truth!!! It sure makes me know what my kids will be doing...lol & here the estate sale vendors take a big %, yet, the relatives don't want the burden of doing it!  not morbid but @Sooner is right more a big job and more!

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Mominohio 

Saddest 2 words in the English language:  Estate sale.

It's compounded if you don't live close and spend weekends with a pickup or suv hauling things out and sorting and then going to work exhausted next week.  

We did three houses before we discovered estate sales.  

@Sooner 

I never heard of them into I moved into this Community.  It's absolutely unbelievable what they (estate people) put out for sale!  And they work hard getting it set up money well spent.  I remember first one I went too I was shocked they were selling "margarine" containers to underwear ...I'll come back & haunt my kids if they sell my underwear...lol

@homedecor1 LOL!!!  Won't do you any good!  By then they will just ignore you!  LOL!!!!!  I agree I could NOT believe what they sold and they left the house spotless!  

If you do have one, really don't throw anything away.  They will tell you that and you think "oh surely not" but they DO know what sells.  Like when I had a garage sale and the junk sold first.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wrote about this before, but about a year ago I was looking around the Goodwill store and found an Ethan Allen queen size bed -- both the head board foot boards.  This piece was in perfect condition selling for $20.  I never grabbed anything so quickly.  I saw the same bed on EBay for well over $500.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1   $500 is way too much for that piece in a consignment shop.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

homedecor1

I can see the temptation to buy the pieces shown in the pictures, so pretty and also practical, they would be for me.  I always enjoyed browsing and buying at thrift stores and antique stores.  I fell in love with so many things.

In the early seventies I often went to our local Salvation Army and found some great pieces of furniture, desks, tables, book shelves.  Thanks for the pictures and good luck with the piece of furniture you are interested in!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Nice! 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@homedecor1   $500 is way too much for that piece in a consignment shop.

@Katcat1 I agree.  It is might not even be real wood.  Ethan Allen, Thomasville and Broyhill nowadays is not quality furniture.  I bought two 8-way hand-tied sofas in the 1980s and gave them away, thinking it would be just as cheap to buy two more as to upholster them.  Nope.  Can't even find 8-way hand-tied unless you go to Restoration Hardware or some high-end place like that.  Even some of the stuff from the 1960s and 1970s was formica instead of wood.  Just because it looks like wood, does not mean it is real wood.  Most of what they call wood today is pulp.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   You are so right about pieces not being real wood.  It's too expensive to use all real wood.  What a shame.  I wish I had my mother & father's bedroom set which was real wood.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

I have my old Thomasville Italian provincial suite from the 1960-early 1970s and my children don't want it.  I have an Italian provincial suite from the 1970s and my children don't want it either.  They wanted my rice carved poster bed of solid cherry but now they don't want it and I don't have a big enough house for it now.  They wanted the birds eye maple and now my son has that, his wife does not like it.  They want cheap coming off those big boats from China that tears up before they get their next mattress. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday 

Absolutely agree with "real wood".  I went back today and even I'm questioning that -- many moons ago those "big names" meant quality not now.  I remember my moms pieces of furniture in our home for 40+ years -- my sister has their solid maple bedroom set.  Still beautiful

I did find a solid wood piece today for 1/2 the price on FB market fare going to check it out on Saturday. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday    LOL.  All I can say is they will live and LEARN.  Have a nice evening.

kindness is strength