Honored Contributor

Re: Coffee Table, Yes or No?

[ Edited ]

Here’s the long story...

Always had coffee tables, both in my childhood home and as an adult in my own house. We always had books, collectibles, etc. on them. Until...

We adopted a dog. The coffee tables in the living room & sunroom became a danger to the dog jumping up and down on the sofas. It got worse as the dog got older so both coffee tables were moved into our basement for storage. Now that dog has passed, but we liked the open space so much we haven’t brought the tables back up, but I can’t bring myself to get rid of them. We do have end tables in each room. Oh, and another dog. 

Trusted Contributor

My living room is small so I tried going without one; however, the room just did not look complete without one. 

I purchased this one which is small and I'm very happy with it.  Put on it today a lovely fall centerpiece from Valerie Parr Hill.  Looks great@

Honored Contributor

Yes on coffee table.  Fairly good size with enough room under to store two storage hassocks and a magazine holder.

Just thinking about it ... I don't think I've ever been in anyone's home who didn't have a coffee table. 

Honored Contributor

IMG_1731.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

I never had a coffee table when the kids were growing up.  I always thought of it as a dumping ground.  Now I have one and find it a nice place to decorate for the seasons, along w/other tables to decorate.

Honored Contributor

I have always had a coffee table and  like the look and function of it.  I only have one living room and not a separate family room.  My mother did not have a coffee table.  She said that when my sister and I were little my father liked to play with us on the floor, and a coffee table would have been in the way.  She just never got one after that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau