Honored Contributor

Re: Coffee Table Books & Displays

I have a few "coffee table" art books I'd like to display but I think it requires more than just the few I own to look nice. To do a really interesting display you need at least 10.

Honored Contributor

Oh, no.   That was something my grandmother and mother might have done.  For me, they would just be dust catchers.

Honored Contributor

I do not! I love the look, and tried it in the past, but for some reason it is just not for me. I do like how it looks though!   

Respected Contributor

I think these displays are usually just for someone's eye appeal (not mine). I don't like clutter, or needless things like books that collect dust. I have a beautiful cocktail table in my family room, & i keep a few books on the bottom. But these are books I use regularly, like gardening topics. Even that BUGS me! Dust bunnies love to hide down there. Smiley Tongue

I'd never display books to impress guests....that would be silly. My friends would not be impressed, lol. 

Honored Contributor

Hope the person that owns the clear chest doesn't have a cat or a dog slobbering and snotting it up!

Esteemed Contributor

I do not own any coffee table books. While I think the look is nice in someone else's home, it isn't a look for me.

Honored Contributor

I put them on the coffee table.  Hmm, may have to rethink that.

Super Contributor

I absolutely LUV books of any size and yes I unashamedly have coffee table books. They are beautiful and the photographs on many of the plates are magnificent. I prefer looking at them to scrolling through an i phone. And because they take up so much room they wind up on coffee tables. My bookshelves cannot hold them all. I have art on all of my walls; I don't mind books on my tables. (Are the supposed to be hidden?) LOL

Honored Contributor

I love books, but for the most part, not on the coffee table, regardless of how pretty the cover may be. 

Honored Contributor

This thread is so up my alley!   I have quite a few big colorful, relatively thin books which would readily be labeled "coffee table".  I use books in decorating all the time.  But am always rotating them around to different locations to prevent boredom.

They make great "stands" for lanterns, candles or whatever decor you have out.  Currently have on coffee table a large, 'coffee table' book on the celebrated interior designer Albert Hadley.  On top of that, a slightly smaller book on Anne Boleyn with a beautiful portrait of her on the cover. The background of the book jacket is deep claret, which sort of coordinates with the kind of 'oxblood" book jacket of the Albert Hadley book.  Usually not this obsessive, but they looked so good together!

On top of that, I have a chunky ribbed mercury glass trinket jar.  But at other times, would have a lantern or possibly a carved wooden box.  It all depends on mood.

A select few small, neat stacks of books, or upright books caught between vintage bookends, are a decorating staple.  They contribute so much warmth to a room.  But they can't be messy or random, or you start getting a feeling of "too much".  I must have airiness above all!