Respected Contributor

Electric Space Heaters - Just a Reminder

It seems during really cold weather we hear of a lot more home fires occurring.

Twice in the past week one of our local programming has had a segment regarding space heater use.  I learned something I didn't know and wanted to pass it on.

When using a electric space heater never plug it into an extension cord.  No matter how heavy duty the extension cord is.

Regular Contributor

Re: Electric Space Heaters - Just a Reminder

ITA. I have heard of multiple house fires and sadly a tragic horse barn fire recently in the NY/CT area. Must be vigilant. 

Regular Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

It seems during really cold weather we hear of a lot more home fires occurring.

Twice in the past week one of our local programming has had a segment regarding space heater use.  I learned something I didn't know and wanted to pass it on.

When using a electric space heater never plug it into an extension cord.  No matter how heavy duty the extension cord is.

@Allegheny thank you for that post. 

Respected Contributor

@Shopchickie3  Barn fires break my heart.  My dad would allow nothing that created a flame, possible spark, heat source or accelerate any where near our barn.  Gas operated equipment was not stored in his barn.  I guess during his life time he saw too many mishaps and subsequent tragedies.

Trusted Contributor

Valuable information...good to know!  Thanks for posting!

Regular Contributor

I keep a space heater i  spare room since its a cool room. If the heater is plug into a power pack is it the same as an extension cord.