Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

When using a contractor, is it unusual for them to "upcharge?"  For example:  I had vanity columns installed when remodeling our master bathroom.  When I asked cost directly to the place that would be making them, he told me $800 ($400) each.  When my contractor billed me, it was $1500.  My contractor was charged $1200 because the extra $400 was painting and install (all that done by cabinet store not contractor) then the other $300 was his "upcharge." 

@ScrapHappy  A few years ago when we remodeled, I watched the contractor's charges like a hawk, questioned him, in several instances got a charge waived, and others lowered, and anything that I knew DH and I could do, crossed that off his list, saved many thousands of dollars.

The contractor built a plywood ramp to go over some railroad ties in the driveway to get wheelbarrows to the next level where the kitchen is.  He charged $800, to which DH had a fit, said he could have done it for a $100 or so.  The contractor said it was the traveling time and his worker's time in picking the wood up and laying it down, really a rip off.  The contractor waived the charge, and he should have because he was going to keep the plywood to use on another job, RIPOFF!

At one point, the contractor said he had done so much work with no charge, etc., etc., so I asked for a list of the work, and I never received it, that is because he could not name anything that he did not charge us for.

Honored Contributor

Re: CONTRACTOR QUESTION

[ Edited ]

Both times I have remodeled the contractor sent me to his supply house where I chose the fixtures etc .They were ordered &  went to the contractor direct.If you buy it from a retail outlet it will cost more AND be taxed. The contractor doesn't pay sales tax because he is a business. In both cases my contractors used a supplier called One Source - and they were , they had everything, soup to nuts. I think both times I ended up spending a whole day making decisions. I had to chose every detail - even things like hinges on cabinet doors.

As for cost the contractor had already given us our price and told the associate at One source my prices so that was what I was shown. If I upgraded anything I had to sign a contract saying I would pay the upgrade price for that item.I believe our contractor's upcharge was 15%.