Respected Contributor

When using a contractor, is it unusual for them to "upcharge?"  For example:  I had vanity columns installed when remodeling our master bathroom.  When I asked cost directly to the place that would be making them, he told me $800 ($400) each.  When my contractor billed me, it was $1500.  My contractor was charged $1200 because the extra $400 was painting and install (all that done by cabinet store not contractor) then the other $300 was his "upcharge." 

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy, I don't know how common it is but it certainly does happen.  My example was a stone patio.  I insist on a breakdown of labour and materials when I get a quote.  You wouldn't believe the up charges on the stone.  My preference is to buy the materials and then get the work done.  I have had it happen to me several times.  

I am very fortunate as I have a handyman who is a finish carpenter but can do just about anything.  Great work, fair prices and very flexible.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CONTRACTOR QUESTION

[ Edited ]

My guess is the "upcharge" was actually work done.  Unless you ordered the columns, exact size, color, etc. somebody had to do it.'

If a contractor uses his time to go get a part at Home Depot, he will charge you for his time to go get it.  Time = money.  

A plumber will charge you to wait until the water heats in a new hot water heater he installed to be sure it is working correctly.  Pretty common with any tradesman.  A mechanic will order a part from NAPA and charge you extra to pay for their ordering and waiting.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills, I understand the travel time etc.  There was not a thing to be done to my stone and it was delivered by the supplier, not the contractor.  It was a big upcharge too, almost 50%.  Needless to say, that guy didn't get the job.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

You were smart.  Not all contractors operate the same!

Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

When using a contractor, is it unusual for them to "upcharge?"  For example:  I had vanity columns installed when remodeling our master bathroom.  When I asked cost directly to the place that would be making them, he told me $800 ($400) each.  When my contractor billed me, it was $1500.  My contractor was charged $1200 because the extra $400 was painting and install (all that done by cabinet store not contractor) then the other $300 was his "upcharge." 

Next time get in all in writing, parts, labor, etc.

I was burned once like this a long time ago, never again.

If that "upcharge" is his legitimate labor, he should have disclosed it up front.

Honored Contributor

Whenever I have anything done to my home, I always get the necessary components yself.  I'm going to have a new toilet installed and will go buy it and bring it home myself.  Believe it or not, the plumber suggested I do this. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When we originally started with our contractor he came to our house and we walked him around , telling him what we wanted done. He made some additional suggestions which we did some but not all. He came back with the price shortly later and we signed a contract & gave him the down payment. Over the course of the 3 months he was working on our house we made a few additions to the original work , and each time he had us sign for the additional work and the additional amount was included in that contract. He had promised he would be sure that his men cleaned up every day and there was no pile of rubble lying in the yard.WELL, not only did they not clean up every day - they had a huge pile of rubble IN OUR GARAGE.I left the garage door open and placed a huge sign on that pile of rubble stating it was left there by ****contracting. As soon as he saw it he had a dump truck there that morning to clear it out. His guys also left nails everywhere when they tore off our old roof, and I drove over them when I came home. Went down to my car in the morning to go to work and had 2 flat tires.I immediately called him( at 5AM)and told him he better get his hiney there to get me to work. He came immed and drove me to work in his PJ's., picked me up in the afternoon to come home and when I got home I had 2 brand new tires on my car.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Whenever I have anything done to my home, I always get the necessary components yself.  I'm going to have a new toilet installed and will go buy it and bring it home myself.  Believe it or not, the plumber suggested I do this. 

Very few tradesman would allow this in my experience.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

When we remodeled our guest bath (removed 1/2 of the vanity, installed stacked washer & dryer), our contractor gave us measurements, we bought it from Lowe's, they delivered it to our garage, & he installed it perfectly, he told us he hated shopping😊