Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I put nothing on the top of my tree.  ONly thing on my tree are mardi gras beads & lights.  I have a 20 pounder cat, enough said.

The red velvet bow(s) I place on the front grill of my car.  My car is a pretty blue.  So the red really stands out.

I live in a condo.  My tree sits inbetween my living room windows.

@Mz iMac

Your kitty doesn't attack the mardi gras beads.........Cat Tongue

@Spurt

No my cat does not mess w/the beads.  I think because the color beads are clear plastic which shine when the string lights, sun or moonlight filters through them.

My cat just sits in front of the tree watching the blinking lights or sits under the tree as a private spot.

Then again, he probably has kitten flashback of the time the tree fell on top of him, trapping him for hours AFTER he broke & shredded all my xmas ornaments. Smiley Mad

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

We have a variety, but it depends on our mood putting it up. I have a lot of Star Trek ornaments so that year I might use the Russian Santa topper. Other years I put up more traditional ornaments and use an angel topper. I have one shaped sort of like the space needle that's glass given to me I've used, too. I just have those three.

Honored Contributor

I usually tie a large bow and use picks in the top of the tree.  I'm not sure if I will do something different this year or not. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Your tree topper

[ Edited ]

When I was little, we had a star.  It got wet in a flooded basment and the glitter and color peeled off.  For years it was a Victorian angel, but she got ratty, too.  Then I tried the big bow, and also a dove, but now have a star again.

The big tree went in the window of the front room, but now we put the four foot tree on a table in the dining room bay window.

We had years when the tree was anchored to the ceiling, and the glass ornaments started half way up because of a cat.  Our current cat just likes to watch the lights from the plant shelf.

Frequent Contributor

For the past two years I've put a large white owl on the top since

we decorated in a woodland theme.  A week or so ago my husband

and I were in Lowes and saw a star tree topper (not the traditional shaped star) that was all white and had random sparkle.  I loved it so that is what is going on our tree this year. 

Respected Contributor

Growing up I remember having angels as toppers.  Once I was on my own and my husband and I had our own tree we tried various things.  Had a star that was ok, but then my late stepmom made me a big bow topper out of gold ribbon which I love.  I then wrap gold ribbon around the tree as a garland.  Here's a pic:

IMG_1793.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I put nothing on the top of my tree.  ONly thing on my tree are mardi gras beads & lights.  I have a 20 pounder cat, enough said.

The red velvet bow(s) I place on the front grill of my car.  My car is a pretty blue.  So the red really stands out.

I live in a condo.  My tree sits inbetween my living room windows.

@Mz iMac

Your kitty doesn't attack the mardi gras beads.........Cat Tongue

@Spurt

No my cat does not mess w/the beads.  I think because the color beads are clear plastic which shine when the string lights, sun or moonlight filters through them.

My cat just sits in front of the tree watching the blinking lights or sits under the tree as a private spot.

Then again, he probably has kitten flashback of the time the tree fell on top of him, trapping him for hours AFTER he broke & shredded all my xmas ornaments. Smiley Mad

@Mz iMac

Well I'm glad your cat doesn't mess with the beads......That's so cute that he sits in front of the tree watching the blinking lights ......or under the tree like her own personal "forest"..........

Poor kitty what an experience he had trapped under that tree for hours.......... and all the shredded ornaments.....

I had a cat named Reggie....she loved to climb up to the top of the Christmas tree....she knocked over the tree twice....thankfully, it was a miracle no ornaments were broken.....Cats and Christmas---LOL!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Tree toppers through the years.  My first recollection is  little bisque coloured plastic angel that was only about 3 inches tall.  We used that tiny angel for years.  Then I went on my historical Santa kick and we had an "OldWorld" Santa in burgendy carrying baskets of apples.  We had to get the tree size to accomidate the Santa.  Made for a very stately tree.  For the past couple of years its been a light up white 'Stained glass panels" star that came from the drug store.  I have a tree that can change from coloured to white lights.  I first got that star in multi color. very pretty but not when the tree was lit with clear lights.  Gave that one to my sister.  Her kids love it.  The white star goes with a white or coloured light tree.  My tree sits in the corner of my livingroom next to the archway into the diningroom. With a toybox of ornaments next to it for guests to add to the tree.

Esteemed Contributor

I make large bows and streamers for my tree topper with wired ribbon. I may or may not change the ribbon out depending on how I choose to decorate the tree each year. Last year I did silver and crystal and found a lovely ribbon with silver threads running throughout. I am also considering adding a strand of lights to the topper since I purchased the three strands that the Q recently offered. Our house is not that large, but is open concept so I place the tree in front of a set of french doors so that it can be seen outside and most anywhere inside. I love Christmas.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

I have several tree toppers:  an angel, star, top hat, and a bow with cascading ribbon.  I bought a  new tree this year and it is only 5ft.  I need a new topper because all of the others are now too large.  I have a couple of picks that I may use this year, if I can't find a bow I like.

My tree is already up!  I bought it in July, set it up to see if it worked and just left it up.  I will decorate it Thanksgiving evening.