Honored Contributor

Your tree topper

[ Edited ]

What does everyone put on the all important top of the tree? We have had an angel since we moved to Florida but she is getting old & ratty looking so I am going back to my old method of making red velvet bows with streamers as long as the tree and pacing them on the top branch.I'll need 2 because we can see the back side of the tree from our kitchen.

Honored Contributor

Another thing I am curious about, where does everyone put their tree? We have a large v shaped alcove in our foyer and that is where the tree goes.It's the first thing you see when you walk in the house, and can be seen from every room but the bathrooms and the master bedroom.Since we have been in this house we have had very large trees - 9 1/2 ft tall and about 4 ft across. 

In our previous home we had to have a narrow short tree so the big tree now is a real treat.

Honored Contributor

I am playing around with the idea of getting a strand of tiny mini lights and putting them into the bow as I make it, so the bows will light up. Any opinions?

Honored Contributor

I put nothing on the top of my tree.  ONly thing on my tree are mardi gras beads & lights.  I have a 20 pounder cat, enough said.

The red velvet bow(s) I place on the front grill of my car.  My car is a pretty blue.  So the red really stands out.

I live in a condo.  My tree sits inbetween my living room windows.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I have more than one tree ~ one I keep up year-round in our kitchen.  It is smaller, maybe 3 or 4 feet and I keep it decorated in a fairy/woodland theme year round.  That tree has a larger mushroom bird at the top.  I have a slim tinsel champagne-color tree in our living room right now.  Even though it is pre-lit with white lights I strung orange lights on it and wrapped smaller-scale leaf garlands around it.  That one is topped with a real tree branch with a bird's nest on it.  The main tree usually goes in the living room window.  This has yet to be determined because one of our resident coonhounds is a bit on the, how shall I say, hyper side?  LOL!  This tree is topped with a cardinal tree topper.  But wait there's more!!!  We also put a tree in the den.  This is an all-white tree that I top with a large white dove.  I start my trees early, usually early November because it takes so long to do them all.  I don't light the one in the window until after Thanksgiving, but the others are lit whenever I feel like enjoying the lights.  :-)

Honored Contributor

Our topper is a bow made at a garden center.  Never had much luck with stars or angels; they looked crooked.  Our artificial tree is stored in the basement laundry room.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Your tree topper

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

What does everyone put on the all important top of the tree? We have had an angel since we moved to Florida but she is getting old & ratty looking so I am going back to my old method of making red velvet bows with streamers as long as the tree and pacing them on the top branch.I'll need 2 because we can see the back side of the tree from our kitchen.

In your case, I think bows will be perfect! Many toppers are one sided! I use only "glass" ornaments with lots of glitter only my formal tree so I have a snowman that looks similar to those. I put all the other ornaments I love, ornaments my kids made or gave me over the years, on my den tree. I have a rustic star with  country feel or a tin star that I alternate years using! When I was born my parents bought a pretty little angel in a pink tulle skirt. It was used on the top every year until she became to fragile! Her head is porcelain but there is only a wimpy wire to keep her on the tree! When I became afraid she'd fall and break, I began showcasing her in a cabinet, instead!

I have an an open area between my LR and DR. I put my tree there. It can be easily seen through my large picture window, and from both rooms! My den tree is one of those pencil trees about 4' tall. It goes in a small space in my tiny den. I do have a tree in every room, tho! Some are tiny, unlit trees, but they are trees, nonetheless !

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am playing around with the idea of getting a strand of tiny mini lights and putting them into the bow as I make it, so the bows will light up. Any opinions?

Would be a lovely addition! Make sure they are cool lights! Are you leaving long tendrils from the bow? I've seen them left as long as the tree is tall! Very effective!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

My angel got a bit ratty too, so I used a vintage star last year but am looking for just the right angel topper....the ones I've seen so far have been too large.....

I live in small condo so my 7.5 tree goes in my living room near my armoire

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I put nothing on the top of my tree.  ONly thing on my tree are mardi gras beads & lights.  I have a 20 pounder cat, enough said.

The red velvet bow(s) I place on the front grill of my car.  My car is a pretty blue.  So the red really stands out.

I live in a condo.  My tree sits inbetween my living room windows.

@Mz iMac

Your kitty doesn't attack the mardi gras beads.........Cat Tongue

I have to be careful of any ornaments with real feathers---be it a clip on bird or an owl....these have to go near the top out of the reach of my cats.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”