Esteemed Contributor

Re: EASY ON THE BUDGET FALL "CRITTERS"

@Witchy Woman : thanks for the report. I will be by a Christmas Tree shop on Monday and will try to check it out. BTW, that hedgehog is much nicer looking in person!

I'm with you that when a store is packed too tight with stuff I find it to be visual overload and can't deal with  it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@queendiva 

It's always interesting to cruise through, but it is sensory overload for me.  I start to get anxious after about 20 minutes Cat Happy

And, as you know, I've been streamlining, so any personal purchases are out for me.  

But many of the items are perfect for my gift baskets.  When you see a stack of 20 dishes, it's too much....but if you take a few of those, and add them to other items, they are so much more appealing!

I can only go so often!

Have fun.

Esteemed Contributor

Went to Family Dollar this morning in search of a fox mug. Found a store not far from my house. This store was as I expected, and not in a good way. Still trying to be rid of summer at 75% off and just a few fall items displayed. No mugs. I will try again next month..

FYI: Hobby Lobby has a lot of select home decor 50% off this week.

Esteemed Contributor

Made two stops today to check out fall decor. First was Dollar General. Just starting to put out fall. What I saw did not wow me. On to Christmas Tree Shops. They had a nice fall display just inside the doors of the store. More teal and other shades of blue, especially pumpkins. Lots of the traditional oranges and golds, of course. I saw critter mugs, including the fox i had in mind, but I did not like it enough to bring it home.

I picked up two small-ish velvet pumpkins in colors to coordinate with my entry: blush and light violet. I can't recall if I still have a couple of velvet pumpkins in more traditional colors. I think I used them as part of my fall centerpiece on my DR table last year. Must be packed away in a bin somewhere in the basement. Got to look for the one with the orange lid.

Two last stops, probably Friday: my weekly trip to Home Goods and also to check out Hobby Lobby, which is next door. In a villa-style condo now, so limited display surfaces for seasonal decor.

How's everyone else doing?

Honored Contributor

Yay, more reports from "the field" -- thanks, @queendiva!

I was back at Marshall's just to look, and always see at least 2 or 3 items I'd really like. But, like you, I have limited display space, so I held the line.

Of course, as per my other thread, I did order QVC's  "Antiqued Faux Stone Baby Birdie Planter"  M60126.   My reasoning is, you have to have a planter, right, so why not have a cute one.  And since I got the bronze, it will be great for fall--  whether I put real mums, or faux leaves in it, or whatever!

Esteemed Contributor

One last "report from the field". Just returned from HomeGoods & Hobby Lobby.

HG: Every possible color and material of pumpkins, including many pumpkin motif throw pillows. Many pumpkins looked breakable. Prices for fall wreaths and garlands seemed high.

HL: 40% off Fall & Christmas. 50% off tabletop. Christmas! And yes, there was a good amount of it. QVC has nuthin' on Hobby Lobby, LOL!

Most fall here was traditional colors. A nice selection of good sized critters. If you can't find it for fall at HL, it does not exist! I picked up a small clear glass candle stand to display one of my two new velvet pumpkins, two large fall floral pics for the basket on my front door for when it's time next month to swap out the summer stems and a box of 100 tea lights, which was $3.00. Total haul: $25.00+ tax. Just a reminder that I do not do any Halloween decor.

Nothing from HG, but I did a lap around the adjoining Marshalls and picked up a black Tahari unlined knit blazer for $30.00.

Will check out WM shortly. I have to go to pick up the garden hoe I ordered on line for $5.00 this morning- score!. I had my eye on it during the summer at $14.00, which was a good price. I peeked into the one and only bin I have of fall decor in the basement. My new purchases from HL and Big Lots will fit in there at the end of the season, with room to spare. Just adding touches of Fall to the entry table, LR and purchased several years ago decor items for the DR table.

I moved into my place last September and had so much work going on here at that time everything was a work in progress until Thanksgiving. It will probably take me 20 minutes to decorate for Fall when the time comes, probably about a month from now.

I believe I have finished my Fall decor shopping, including candles purchased at HG. The days are getting shorter. Fall will be here soon enough, but for now I am still enjoying what remains of summer.

Honored Contributor

Oh, Hobby Lobby is sounding really good for decor, esp. with those discounts, @queendiva.  It's great though that even when surrounded by "temptation",  you are realistic about how much you want to decorate with in the fall, and staying within your one box of stored stuff is prudent!  

Esteemed Contributor

Just back from Walmart. They had one aisle of fall. Nothing at all out of the ordinary. Did not look at prices. After about the second store, everything is starting to look alike to me!

Forgot to check in at Pier One earlier in the week. I looked at their website. Nothing I must have. 

If you prefer to shop from home, I just got a pretty large catalogue from The Lakeside Collection. Quite a variety. I perused it cover to cover. Worth looking at, but I ordered nothing. The book has been added to the recycle bin.

I do think I have finished shopping for fall decor. I am satisfied with the few new items I picked up along the way and I am fall-ed out for now.

Esteemed Contributor

Back again! Found a Pier 1 store nearby. Have not shopped there in 2-3 years. As always, they had a nice selection of both Fall and Halloween decor items; everything was 15-25% off. I showed great restraint and walked out with just some sage green velvet placemats that were on clearance.

I did learn that this store is also the designated clearance center for surrounding area Pier 1 stores. They receive a truck of clearance furniture and decor items every Thursday. 

Knowing that, I will check them out often on Fridays.

Last week I stopped in one last time at Dollar Tree. Nothing for me there.

Tomorrow I plan to make the final stop on my fall decor tour: Target.