Honored Contributor

Re: EASY ON THE BUDGET FALL "CRITTERS"

Sounds like you had a fun expedition, too, @DecorDiva.  I'm sorry I don't have the ability to take my own pictures and post here, but if I run across any online that show the hedgehog in a vignette, I'll flag you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

Stopped by Family Dollar this morning and got two each of the racoon and fox cups.  There was one owl cup, but it was badly chipped.  I have some owl cups coming from Walmart, so did not really need them.

I asked if they would be getting in more and the checker didn't think they would.  However, I will check back in a week or so.

They really are adorable, and, for $2, they can't be beat! I resisted all of the other autumn "stuff" as I just don't need/want any for my own home.

Thanks for mentioning them!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

More reports from the field:

First stop: HomeGoods. As always, a ton of pumpkins, pillows, fall & Halloween, including some cute Martha Stewart galvanized haunted houses. One each in sm, med & lg. Excellent prices for the quality. The dominant color I saw, in addition to the traditional was Teal. If that works with your decor, HomeGoods is the place for you. Nothing jumped into my cart

One last trip to Big Lots. Today everything Fall was out on display. The terracotta resin squirrel was cute and maybe 8-10 " tall, but for me he was not $12.00 cute. I bought the companion acorn on my previous trip.  A decorator somewhere is going to do a YouTube video, I'm sure, using all the wine/ ivory/ pink/ navy decor items. You could do one room or several with the offerings in this group. No additional purchases today. Note that "farmhouse decor" is 30% off. Somewhat limited in offerings.

Next up: Family Dollar to check out a fox mug on Sunday on the way home from church and Hobby Lobby next week. Planning to take a ride tomorrow out to the Q Frazer outlet to see what end of summer goodies tempt me.

Honored Contributor

Report received, @queendiva.  My living room walls are a hazy Benjamin Moore historic shade of robin's egg blue, so teal is always a draw for me.   Good work!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell : not that you are looking, of course, but a teal item (or two) sounds like a perfect addition to your hedgehog for fall decor.

I think I have shown considerable restraint, buying only one pillow, two very unusual pumpkins and the acorn. I am also going to spray paint some real pumpkins in jewel tones, including copper and magenta. Too early for that, and they will just get tossed after Thanksgiving. No need to keep and store them for another year.

No Halloween decor, just Fall as my display space, indoors and out, is limited. I am sure that I do not have more than one bin in the basement with Fall decor- most of it for the dining room table, including a black tablecloth, pheasant feather placements from the Kevn's catalogue, an idea that I stole from Alberti's table a few years ago and cream colored plates and fall napkins and napkin rings from HomeGoods & Pier 1, respectively. I don't recall what I used for a centerpiece. Probably some variety of decorative pumpkins.

Self imposed moratorium on fall scented candles! 

Honored Contributor

You are being good, @queendiva!  I do no Hallowe'en decorating either, and have my fall stuff down to a small box. (But since the hedgehog is sizeable, might need a bigger one, ha.)

I also love feathers for fall-- my beloved bird motif continuing, probably...

I was going to restrict fall candles, but coffee is my downfall.  Had to get the 'Sonoma goods for life' vanilla pumpkin latte, because even cold, that espresso aroma is divine.  You feel like you are in the most fabulous European bake shop/cafe!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

He is SO cute, and a bit sad.

Glad to know he has a happy home with you. 😊

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

He does look very beseeching, doesn't he, @Drythe?  Seems to have settled in happily, with real and faux pinecones to keep him company on his tray, and later some of Valerie's festive gilt ones...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

@queendiva 

Forgot to mention I made a stop at The Christmas Tree Shop and they had all their fall things up front.

That store is packed so tight, I find it annoying to navigate.  Nevertheless I made a spin around the main areas and picked up a few kitty kat print melamine plates and napkins for future gift baskets. 

They had a huge bin of fake pumpkins up front in the standard orange, gold, white.....and.....TEAL.  It stands out against the traditional colors.

There was a section of plastic trays in autumn motifs....I got a couple with a blue truck filled with pumpkins...again, for future baskets.  They had smallish white and orange pumpkin dutch ovens....got 2 of those.  They would be perfect for display, cooking or storing.  They were only $8 each....cheaper than most of the cookie jars I buy.

After about an hour, I just had to leave.  So much stuff that is cute and has potential.  You can lose your mind.

But, teal was everywhere....very different, but pretty.  Not my idea of fall, but if I had it in my home, I'd have loaded up with all those lovely things!

I'm still pondering that hedgehog from Big Lots....they have online ordering and every time I scroll past him, I feel like I need to give him a happy home Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

You are a true humanitarian, @Witchy Woman!  Hey, I didn't know --or forgot-- about the online ordering, gack, more ways for me to get in trouble...