Honored Contributor

EASY ON THE BUDGET FALL "CRITTERS"

Sometimes you only want one or two little hints of whimsy  in your fall decor, without spending a lot.  Today I saw this chunky hedge hog at Big Lots in person, and he's very cute, with his shy presentation of a pinecone.  He's a carved, reasonably "wood-look" resin, as opposed to the sisal covered styrofoam that is plentiful.  Those can look so bristlingly adorable, but they are probably not as durable as this satisfyingly solid little guy.  $12.00:    

Wood+Carved+Hedgehog+Tabletop+Décor+.jpg

Last year I had a thread on the sweet animal figural mugs at Family Dollar, and @SHOPR was kind enough to post a photo of her mug.  (I can't fiind a picture of them online, so hope you don't mind me "pirating" your image, @SHOPR)

2018-08-19 14.53.31.jpg

In addition to this very friendly raccoon, with his stripey tail and oak leaf, they have a googley owl and sweet fox, also in autumnal colors.   Microwave and dishwasher safe, and only $2.00.

Honored Contributor

Re: EASY ON THE BUDGET FALL "CRITTERS"

Aww these are adorable @Oznell 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Very cute!

Respected Contributor

Oh, he is cute and I think I must have him. Currently we are a hedgehogless family and that needs to change. Ha!!!

Thanks very much for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell I don't mind at all.  What a cute little hedgehog!  I should check out Big Lots.  It has been a while.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you for the photo of the hedgehog. I was at Big Lots today, they had $10. Off $50. With their card.

There were a lot of items on sale and I had to search for the hedgehog. I found 3 on the back of a bottom shelf.

He’s larger than I expected and I couldn’t resist him. He is sitting on my kitchen table next to a filler jar with small pumpkins, acorns, and pine cones and a candle . He looks like he snitched one from it! 

There are kitchen hand towels with hedgehogs also, they are hanging and my kitchen has changed seasons.

A word of caution for anyone interested in their candles and lanterns. They are NOT on timers. Only on and off. QVC has spoiled me to timers.

Honored Contributor

Oh, Krypto, that setting you've devised for him is so cute!  I was so tempted by him-- they only had one at my Big Lots, and I wanted him.  I've been trying to streamline my fall decor, so I resisted, but regret that.  He has so much personality, and is a conversation piece.

We have at least one very plump ground hog in our back yard, so I've proposed naming the house "Ground Hog Hall".   Hedge hogs are pretty close, aren't they?  So, a hedge hog like the Big Lots one could be a sort of year round mascot for us, couldn't he?   (Trying to think of arguments to justify getting him, ha.)

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

So cute! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

If you are looking for critters to decorate with for Fall, At Home has a fox gourd that I believe is $ 7.99. They also have owl and fox sitters for $12.99. These items are on their website. I saw the cute hedgehog at Big Lots but resisted. I need to decorate first, then decide if I need additional items. I am in West Texas and it's way too hot to put out Fall yet. Company would think I was nuts!! I usually decorate for Fall the second week in September.

Honored Contributor

You were strong and sensible, @texassunflower

I succumbed though today to "Horatio Hedgehog"!  I went back, and he was still there, still the lone one on the shelf, and I had to have him.  He just has so much personality!

So am going to have to purge extra hard the next few weeks of decor I no longer need.  I try not to get anything new, without getting rid of something else.

I don't have him in as cute a vignette as Krypto has hers, but have set him up at least temporarily.  He's in a little carved tray, with one of Valerie's bronze acorns, and an autumnal "pod"-- it's all rustic. 

If anyone else has him, he'd look great in the midst of Valerie's full set of 6 faux acorns and pinecones, either the bronze or the gold would be pretty.  He's just perfect for any woodland setting, or could even be glammed up.

Noticed the Big Lots wooden apple too, a variation on the pretty wood pumpkin that M. S. does.  I couldn't find a better picture of it-- it's really not as elongated and skinny as this makes it look:

Wooden+Apple+Tabletop+Décor+Silo+Image+Front+View.jpg

Unlike the Big Lots wood apple, the fanciful "carved" squirrel is faux wood, but is cute:

HB+HENNA+CARVED+SQUIRREL.jpg

At Kohl's I found a candle which has instantly become my favorite of all time.  I love any kind of espresso scented candle, and this one is superb-- it's Sonoma Goods for Life "Vanilla Pumpkin Latte",  made with essential oils.  That combo of scents is absolutely heady, but it's the coffee I love, coming through strong even before lit....   yum.

Kohl's also "made" me get some pretty fall dish towels too...

Marshall's has some beautiful fall things out as well.  Exercized will power there though, at least for today...