Regular Contributor

The community that we just moved into has a TON of rabbits hopping around everywhere. They're very cute and we love watching them, BUT they ate all of my tulips!

I read that if you put coffee grounds around the plants they won't eat the plants because they don't like the smell of coffee. We tried that.... to no avail!

I don't want to put out anything harmful, but I'd like them to stay away from my tulips.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? 

Super Contributor

You can try dog or cat hair, myself I have had great success using a product called dried blood I get at the garden store.  Just sprinkle and the added bonus is flowers grow better.

Trusted Contributor

My stepdad plants lots of tomato plants and plants marigolds around them to keep the rabbits away.  Might be worth a try around your tulips.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Hershey2 wrote:

You can try dog or cat hair, myself I have had great success using a product called dried blood I get at the garden store.  Just sprinkle and the added bonus is flowers grow better.

Plus you'll have the added bonus of meeting every dog and cat within 20 miles as they're attracted to the smell of this stuff.  I've also heard it can contain salmonella and other harmful bacteria. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My solution?  Just love them, feed them, and don't plant tulips.  I have three or four in my back yard right now. At night they work over the front yard.  We are thoroughly fenced, but the little buggers find ways to get in anyway.  I finally decided if you can't beat 'em, love 'em and forget the flowers.

Last night the deer ate the tops off of about 40 sunflower plants. I'm sorry to see them go, but the animals have to eat, and I made the mistake of setting them into a front bed. Last week I watched as two large does jumped over our four foot fence into the back yard to get some "interesting" mushrooms that had come up. I enjoy the critters as much as I enjoy the flowers.

Respected Contributor

Are you sure it's not deer? They love tulips. I gave up on all the flowers. Had beautiful flower beds and when the deer started coming I had to give up. The only thing they don't eat is Marygolds, and there are a variety of them now, so you may want to try those.  They won't eat poppys, but pretty much everything else. I have always had rabbits, but had flowers till the deer showed up. I am surrounded by woods and decided to just enjoy. I have turkeys, and raccoons, but you finally give up I did, I have a raised flower stand coming tomorrow, going to try to grow herbs. I feel your pain, been there.

Honored Contributor

I have bunnies too and now they so used to me that they just go on eating and enjoy watching me working in the flowerbeds.I call them pets now and try to plant a few things for them in the back yard.

Trusted Contributor

I was going to suggest feeding them, too, so they don't have to forage for food in your garden. I don't have any but saw one once in my area. I have a racoon that visits from time to time & a skunk. I'd love to have bunnies though!

Honored Contributor

@StraytoStay No way I'd trade my bunnies for your skunk...haha

Trusted Contributor

@Perkup. I also have had to live with my neighbors on 4 legs.   I went on line and got a list of the plants that wildlife do not like.   They read the same list so in several cases they won.   Now a widow I no longer plant a garden so their buffet they loved has disappeared.  At present time I am waiting to see what nature has dealt me this year.  For about 4 years I have had 2 foxes in my woods.  They have devastated my once abundance of rabbits, pheasants and turkeys.  The deer are still here.   I saw a lone turkey down the road a few weeks ago.  I hope this means that the foxes have moved on.  I would love to see the rabbits, etc return.   I still have raccoons, a skunk, possum, ducks and geese and the song birds are all returning.  

I also have a beautiful grove of black walnut trees north of my kitchen window.   It is a beautiful peaceful place to hang my hammock.    I also learned that many flowers can not survive within 50 feet of these trees.   I can use hanging baskets on shepherd hooks as long as I keep their soil protected.   I have lots of nuts to harvest and black walnuts to stain with.

Life in the country is beautiful.  You learn to flow with its natural happenings and adjust to nature's presents.  Relax, watch, enjoy and work with what is provided.   On line are many university studies of how to plant for your acquired neighbors and the plants that grow in your area.  I got my information from Cornell University studies and articles.    There are no articles that tell you how to deal with the beauty and cuteness of the critters who allow you to share their world.   I am watching patiently for their arrival.