Esteemed Contributor

I caught him sipping out of the hummingbird feeder! Nothing seems sacred around here!

Yesterday, the suet cage was completely off the hook and on the ground, and of course the suet, which I had just filled had disappeared!

I blamed Mustache (my female squirrel), but now I don't know. She'll jump down from the roof and swing on the hum feeder and cause general havoc.

I like catbirds, though, so I can't chase him too much. He (and I guess his lady) comes to the other feeder, too.

Two years ago it was bats, because I saw them at my old hum feeder.

Has anyone seen theives at their hummingbird feeders? If I keep mine totally out in the open, I won't be able to see them from my office.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Nerve of That Catbird!

@Harpa You seem to have quite a lively crowd in your neighborhood and all seem to be lovable  thieves.

I live in PA and have never heard of a catbird.  Where do you live?  Does the bird resemble a cat?

Honored Contributor

@CLEM  I'm in southeast PA, and hear catbirds occasionally - more often in summer than other times of year.  One of their sounds is a nasally-sounding mew.  Sounds like a cat, is kind of annoying if it goes on for long.  They're a handsome solid graycolor.

Respected Contributor

Thanks @ValuSkr.  I live in Philadelphia; I guess that's why I don't know about a catbird.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM  Yes, I think they prefer fields and wooded areas.  But you might hear them in the city sometime.  If it's an annoying nasally mew, you know it's a catbird!  Smiley Happy  I'm out near West Chester, BTW.

Trusted Contributor

@CLEM Lived in Philadelphia for my first 32 years and the only birds I saw were pigeons lol.  Now living in Delaware I get that meowing catbird visiting my feeder.  Oh, must add recently there has been a few pigeons showing up!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa. I have to ask how you can tell squirrel is a female, I never got that close to a live one.

The only thing I see at feeder besides hummers are bees and wasps. Mine is very close to the porch though.

For those not familiar with cat birds, they destroy eggs from other birds nest.

Honored Contributor

Ive seen orioles try to eat from Hummingbird feeders.  Bears too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My parents had catbirds in eastern NJ. They would come to the porch windows and Dad would open the window and they would take raisins out of his hand.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My parents had catbirds in eastern NJ. They would come to the porch wimdows and Dad would open the window and they would take raisins out of his hand.

@proudlyfromNJ That is so funny and reminds me of my father who  could imitate many birds which was so funny because often a bird would  think he was another bird and get actually mad at him.   But where he lived in a retirement community people could actually see my parent's balcony/windows and often they would see birds congregate there  and call for my father to have a chat.  Some actually ran up and down the glass door picking at the glass.