Regular Contributor

Wow! thank you so much for all your replies! We have hundreds of bunnies, hundreds! We also have a coyote that will run through our property (yikes!), ducks (we have a lake out back), turtles, all sorts of birds etc.It's all foresty around us, and we do love it. We do want to live with all our animal friends that we have, but tulips are my favorite flower! I love the suggestion of planting some Swiss Chard all around the tulips! I think I'll try that. I'd love to see them all munching on that out our side window. They do eat all the grasses that we have around. My grandkids all love coming over to watch them!

Again, thank you so much. You've ll been so helpful!

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@x Hedge  Swiss chard?  Does that really work?  I can DO that!  Can't hurt, might help, THANKS for the idea!

@candys mine, I suppose it depends on your layout,  but I figured if I provide something they prefer (chard), in a setting that allows for quick escape, they won't be inclined to 'settle' for my more valuable but less tasty plants where predators may be crouching.

Chicken wire  is another option.

I see @tototwo is feeding them clover. That worked for me until myself and two dogs stepped on bees in the clover and got bee-stung in the foot all in the same week. I got rid of the clover in the lawn after that.

off topoc:

@Gram W, I envy you your supply of black walnuts. I sprinkle crushed black walnuts on top of every green salad.

It's such a distinctive taste and aroma that I associate with childhood and my dad.

He often did work for rural people (outside of his city day job) who were cash-poor, but paid him with bushels of squashes, potatoes or apples or fresh sweet berries. Someone paid him with a huge burlap sack of aromatic black walnuts, and I've loved them ever since. 

Honored Contributor

Black walnut trees are tough to landscape with, actually any nut trees. You have to google juglone resistant plants if you want to companion plant with a nut tree on your property.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@JuLee. Dried blood from the hardware store, adds nitrogen to the soil also. Best thing I have ever used.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 I have used blood for decades, none of the problems you describe. 

Question, do you ever have something good to say, ever?  

Honored Contributor

I put my tulips and lilies in large pots.  Squirrels steal the bulbs and rabbits nibble on them.  I put chicken wire over the bulbs under the potting soil so the squirrels cannot get at the bulbs and the pots are tall enough that the rabbits cannot reach them.  

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@Kachina624 I have used blood for decades, none of the problems you describe. 

Question, do you ever have something good to say, ever?  

@Nomorebirthdays  Excuse me?  Sounds like it is you with an attitude problem.

" There are some things you should be aware of when using blood meal. As mentioned, it can burn your plants if not used properly. Blood meal may also attract unwanted visitors, such as dogs, raccoons, possums and other meat eating or omnivorous animals"

"We contacted the experts at the Pet Poison Helpline and here’s what they said!

Blood meal – While it’s a great organic fertilizer, if ingested, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea for dogs. More importantly, it can result in severe pancreatitis – inflammation of the pancreas.

Bone Meal – Also, an organic fertilizer, this can become a problem when consumed in large amounts as bone meal forms a large cement-like bowling ball in the stomach of a dog – which can cause an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract – resulting in possible surgery to remove it. "

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@stets- I've used the Murphy's Oil soap method for decades - recommended by an old hosta buddy of mine.  I don't measure - I keep a plastic spray bottle just for the Murphy's - pour about 1/4-inch of Murphy's in the bottom and then fill about half-way with water and shake well.  You'll need to re-spray after a hard rain.  The Murphy's doesn't hurt the plant, but the bitter taste will repel everything from bunnies to slugs.    Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

We have a small farm, and I have a wild bunny living around our barn, the other day I looked out my kitchen window and caught the little guy proud as punch coming out of our chicken coop just like he is one of my hens !!!!!!