Honored Contributor

@JuLee wrote:

The community that we just moved into has a TON of rabbits hopping around everywhere. They're very cute and we love watching them, BUT they ate all of my tulips!

I read that if you put coffee grounds around the plants they won't eat the plants because they don't like the smell of coffee. We tried that.... to no avail!

I don't want to put out anything harmful, but I'd like them to stay away from my tulips.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? 

Rabbit fencing works and is very effective. Get it at Lowe's or HD and cut with a wire cutter to size. See this around my Asiatic lilies which they nibble to the stems. I used a twistee at the top and then 3 U shaped landscape stakes to hold the 2 ends and 1 stake across from that.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18222203_10155520526294396_7882232224360575688_n.jpg?o...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

If it's just tulips, plant daffodils among them; they are poisonous to rabbits if they eat any part of the plant @JuLee

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Geller Girl, your home sounds lovely and peaceful. I envy you. I'm also a widow, and I can't begin to keep up with the rose beds and various plantings that my precious husband kept so pristine. But I do care for a couple of rose beds, and have cleared out some of the plantings that we lost in an overnite freeze last winter.  We (or me) live in a subdivision, but it is surrounded by a river and several hundred acres of woods, so we get many wild things. The usual raccoons, possum, dozens of squirrels both grey and brown, doves, cardinals, bunnies, deer. Last year trappers removed three bobcaats from behind the home across the street, and we sometimes have a gator wandering through from the swamp down the street. We are also blessed with many armadillos, who constantly dig holes in the yards. I can deal with all of it except the dillos and the snakes. Enjoy your wonderful place. It sounds amazing.

Respected Contributor

@JuLee a product called "Liquid Fence."  They foraged my lillies one year.  This spray works beautifully.  We still have a bunny or two every year but they no longer bother the flowers ... they just eat the clover and grass in our back yard.

Esteemed Contributor
I just plant the outer row with a wall of Swiss Chard for them.
It's pretty, and they don't venture further in. They stay on the outer perimeter, keeping a watchful eye out for predators while nibbling chard. So far they don't touch anything in the rows behind the chard.
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom @JuLee I have rabbits also.  They ate my Allium leaves last year but not the flower.  They also nibbled on the hostas along the edge of the property.  This year, they came back.  I have some small wire fencing to close of parts of the garden when I plant new items.  I used those and also used a couple of tomato cages turned upside down.  The fences must have worked as they stopped eating the leaves.  I was surprised it worked.  

I planted quite a few Canada 150 tulips this year for Canada's 150th birthday.  So far so good.  Fingers crossed. 

Good luck.  LM

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge  Swiss chard?  Does that really work?  I can DO that!  Can't hurt, might help, THANKS for the idea!

Esteemed Contributor

A family of bunnies has lived under our deck since long before we moved in here -- which is OK with us because we love them.  I sprinkle Bloodmeal around their favorite plants and spray my hostas with diluted Murphy's Oil Soap to repel them.  Our bunnies go to our neighbors' houses to eat.  We have allowed clover to take over areas of our lawn in the backyard.  Our bunnies feast on the clover and leave my hostas alone.  Thank goodness!

We also keep a bowl of bunny food (we buy at Petsmart) on the deck steps in summer.  They're too full to eat my perennials.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I have no idea how to keep them out of your flowers, but I think they're cute.  We have them very frequently in the spring.  Every morning I look to see if there are any in the yard.  I like to watch them sit still thinking that they cannot be seen.

Contributor

What ratio of Murphy's to water for dilution?