Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which Staple wardrobe items should a woman have?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

I think a really nice handbag is one.  Nice pair of leather gloves, stud earrings, nice string of pearls.  

Sounds like wardrobe staples from the 1950s.  How about a leather shoulder bag, tailored pantsuit, medium hoop earring and a chunky bold necklace in gold or silver, leather shoes or shootie with chunky heel.  

@Kachina624 Yeah, if that's your thing.  I'm not wearing any chunky gold around my neck.  It looks ostentatious to me.  I do have hoops too, but I don't consider them staples.  I have many of these things you mention with the exception of the chunky gold (uuuggggh), but they are tried and true staples in my opinion.  Pearls never go out of style.  Nice diamond stud earrings NEVER go out of style.  Nice tailored pant suits are hard to come by for me (never go out of style).  I have to buy separates.  Never could buy a suit and expect the pants to fit and the jacket too.  Not gonna happen for me.  If I buy separates (costs more) I can pull it together though.

Everyone knows jewelry is faddish.  The only way I want to see chunky gold jewelry around someone's neck is if I ever visit Italy!  LOL.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

My Mother, taught me a a very young age the STAPLES that should be in "Women's Wardrobe"...

***Along with "Fashion Do and Don't"...

STAPLES ...In a "Womens Wardrobe"

#1 - Have at "Least" one "Little Black Dress"

#2 - Own a great pair of "Black Slacks" and if you LOVE          the fit...Get them in Navy, Tan...

#3 - A Classis Wool / Cashmere "Black Blazer"

A Classic Wool / Cashmere "Navy Blazer"

A Classic Wool / Cashmere "Tan Blazer"

#4 - A Black Pencil Skirt  

#5 - 100% Cotton White Blouse  

#6  - Classic Cashmere Sweater  (As many as you can             afford)...

#7 - Several Silk Blouses 

#8 - Several "Great Turtlenecks"

#9 - Several "Great Sleeveless Shells"

#10 - Classic Pumps...Black, Navy, Nude, Red

#11 - Great Loafers - Black and Tan

#12 -  Great Pair of Winter Fashion Boots

#13 - All Weather "Trench Coat"

#14 - Wool / "Winter Dress Coat" 

#15 - Black Leather Jacket

#16 - Classic Denim Jean Jacket

JEWELRY / ACCESSORIES

#1 -14KT Gold Hoop Earring / 14KT Gold Stud Earring

#2 -14KT Gold Bangle Bracelet /

14KT Classic Necklace

#3 - Sterling Silver Hoops / Sterling Silver Studs

#4 - Sterling Silver Bangle Bracelet / Sterling Silver              Chain Necklace 

#5 - Genuine Pearls

(Matching Set -18" - 20" Necklace, Earrings,                  Bracelet)

#6 - Genuine Pearl "Opera Length Necklace"

#7 - 14KT Diamond Stud Earring 

#8 - 14KT Diamond Hoop Earring

#9 - 14KT Diamond Pendant

#10 - Leather  "Winter Gloves" Cashmere Lined 

#11 - Winter "Cashmere Scarf"

#12 - Leather Handbags...Get the "Best Quality" you             can afford...It will last you a "Lifetime" 

***Always match your Shoes with your Handbag!

#13 - Silk Scarves / Several

#13 - Beautiful  / Quality. ...Bras / Undies

Mother taught you well!  It ain't about quantity so much as it is quality. too.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I wanted to mention a trench coat too and a black sheath dress.

My mother gave me the most beautiful London Fog pale yellow trench coat back when I was in school. I loved it and think I may have sold it at a time I needed money-starving student!

I am always on the lookout for one that looks like it. I still miss it.

I also had a really nice classic black sheath dress that just grew way too small (or maybe I grew lol). I have yet to find one to replace it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

It depends on WHERE you live.    I have lived in Chicago, Los Angeles and Phoenix.......and they are all different.   

No doubt about it!  LOL.  So for your living area, what would you consider staples?  Keeping in mind these staples should be able to travel with you if need be.  Not just to be worn at home.

@itiswhatitis   It's hard to say.    I am currently in the PHX burbs.......my only relative lives in Naples, FL.    She is a "club woman" and goes for diamonds and dressy clothes.    I am super casual, and wear a ton of turquoise and hand-tooled Mexican cowboy boots!  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

It depends on WHERE you live.    I have lived in Chicago, Los Angeles and Phoenix.......and they are all different.   

No doubt about it!  LOL.  So for your living area, what would you consider staples?  Keeping in mind these staples should be able to travel with you if need be.  Not just to be worn at home.

@itiswhatitis   It's hard to say.    I am currently in the PHX burbs.......my only relative lives in Naples, FL.    She is a "club woman" and goes for diamonds and dressy clothes.    I am super casual, and wear a ton of turquoise and hand-tooled Mexican cowboy boots!  

Sounds real good to me.  So, some of your staples would be boots!  Maybe a nice hat @Desertdi?  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Sounds real good to me.  So, some of your staples would be boots!  Maybe a nice hat @Desertdi?  

@itiswhatitis    Ummmm.........NO hat.    I drive a sports car, and a hat would be 20 miles behind me..............(not to mention the AZ heat.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@itiswhatitis    Ummmm.........NO hat.    I drive a sports car, and a hat would be 20 miles behind me..............(not to mention the AZ heat.)

@Desertdi Forgive me for assuming  Cowboy boots would look good with a cowboy hat!  LOL.  If I lived where you live I'd most certainly NEED the hat!  I can't that kind of heat you live in.  Oh no siree.  

I can picture you losing the hat during a nice drive in that sports car though!  I'd like to do that one day.  Just the wind blowing through my hair!  Smiley LOL

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bellabutterfly

Interesting list .... do you live in the north east?

Our weather has been in the triple digits and your list made me perspire just reading it!         

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi Forgive me for assuming  Cowboy boots would look good with a cowboy hat!  LOL.  If I lived where you live I'd most certainly NEED the hat!  I can't that kind of heat you live in.  Oh no siree.  

I can picture you losing the hat during a nice drive in that sports car though!  I'd like to do that one day.  Just the wind blowing through my hair!  Smiley LOL

@itiswhatitis  Don't remember the last time I even saw a cowboy hat.    The population of Metro Phoenix is 4.3 million.......We're not out in the country........just do a curtsey to a little Western style(!)   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

LOL @Desertdi!  OK then.  

*Call Tyrone*