Honored Contributor

Re: Which Staple wardrobe items should a woman have?

I like watches and I have them and I like seeing them on others but I think by the time I put on everything else I'm too tired to put on a watch lol!

I will wear my favorite one by Michael Dawkins that I got years ago when I want to feel really elegant. Its actually kind of plain with a black leather strap but I love it. Very classic and I'm glad I got it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay

I also love a good watch .... my current favorite is an Ultrafine sterling panther link watch with that wonderful deployment clasp.   It feels great and looks very expensive ... I just love it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never much liked - or followed - those "10 wardrobe essentials that every woman should own" lists. 

So much depends on a person's lifestyle, financial situation, and personal preferences. What's good for one woman could be entirely a waste of money for another. 

For me, one essential is a perfect fitting pair of jeans. When I have that, I feel confident and can build outfits that will go a lot of different places. 

I also like having a dress or two (for everything from cocktail parties to funerals); dress pants (navy, gray); basic flats and heels; a dressy purse and an everyday one; solid colored tops and sweaters; an all-weather jacket (or a few!).  

Honored Contributor

It depends on WHERE you live.    I have lived in Chicago, Los Angeles and Phoenix.......and they are all different.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@tedEbear.  You are right.  If those basics don't fit properly the rest will not look good on us.  We know this because Stacy and Clinton told us so.   ;-).  I enjoyed that show and was surprised at the number of women who had to start at the bra fitters.   My staples are a skirt, trousers and jacket/blazer in a basic color for the season.  With those I could mix in any number of style tops.  Of course I had to have a great jean.  My pops of color were usually shoes or purse.  Now I am retired I seldom wear a skirt or dress unless the occasion calls for it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@peachesncream wrote:

I've never much liked - or followed - those "10 wardrobe essentials that every woman should own" lists. 

So much depends on a person's lifestyle, financial situation, and personal preferences. What's good for one woman could be entirely a waste of money for another. 

For me, one essential is a perfect fitting pair of jeans. When I have that, I feel confident and can build outfits that will go a lot of different places. 

I also like having a dress or two (for everything from cocktail parties to funerals); dress pants (navy, gray); basic flats and heels; a dressy purse and an everyday one; solid colored tops and sweaters; an all-weather jacket (or a few!).  

@peachesncream I agree.  I know which ones, I consider good staples, and wanted feedback from others on their own.  So, you're staples may not be mine and vice versa.  That's the purpose of my opening question.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

It depends on WHERE you live.    I have lived in Chicago, Los Angeles and Phoenix.......and they are all different.   

@Desertdi No doubt about it!  LOL.  So for your living area, what would you consider staples?  Keeping in mind these staples should be able to travel with you if need be.  Not just to be worn at home.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

@tedEbear.  You are right.  If those basics don't fit properly the rest will not look good on us.  We know this because Stacy and Clinton told us so.   ;-).  I enjoyed that show and was surprised at the number of women who had to start at the bra fitters.   My staples are a skirt, trousers and jacket/blazer in a basic color for the season.  With those I could mix in any number of style tops.  Of course I had to have a great jean.  My pops of color were usually shoes or purse.  Now I am retired I seldom wear a skirt or dress unless the occasion calls for it.

@Gram W@tedEbear. Some women (lucky gals) don't have to wear bras.  They belong to a committee I refer to them as.  Lots of women go commando too.  Not my style though.  My initial post was to foster ideas on how we present ourselves to the world.  Not what we know we're wearing underneath.

I had a close friend from work years ago who refused to wear underwear.  She said wearing them made her skin crawl????  For the women who can w/o a bra, I'm a little jealous of them at times, cause they can just go.  No bra straps to mess with, etc.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

I think a really nice handbag is one.  Nice pair of leather gloves, stud earrings, nice string of pearls.  

Sounds like wardrobe staples from the 1950s.  How about a leather shoulder bag, tailored pantsuit, medium hoop earring and a chunky bold necklace in gold or silver, leather shoes or shootie with chunky heel.  

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My Mother, taught me a a very young age the STAPLES that should be in "Women's Wardrobe"...

***Along with "Fashion Do and Don't"...

STAPLES ...In a "Womens Wardrobe"

#1 - Have at "Least" one "Little Black Dress"

#2 - Own a great pair of "Black Slacks" and if you LOVE          the fit...Get them in Navy, Tan...

#3 - A Classis Wool / Cashmere "Black Blazer"

A Classic Wool / Cashmere "Navy Blazer"

A Classic Wool / Cashmere "Tan Blazer"

#4 - A Black Pencil Skirt  

#5 - 100% Cotton White Blouse  

#6  - Classic Cashmere Sweater  (As many as you can             afford)...

#7 - Several Silk Blouses 

#8 - Several "Great Turtlenecks"

#9 - Several "Great Sleeveless Shells"

#10 - Classic Pumps...Black, Navy, Nude, Red

#11 - Great Loafers - Black and Tan

#12 -  Great Pair of Winter Fashion Boots

#13 - All Weather "Trench Coat"

#14 - Wool / "Winter Dress Coat" 

#15 - Black Leather Jacket

#16 - Classic Denim Jean Jacket

JEWELRY / ACCESSORIES

#1 -14KT Gold Hoop Earring / 14KT Gold Stud Earring

#2 -14KT Gold Bangle Bracelet /

14KT Classic Necklace

#3 - Sterling Silver Hoops / Sterling Silver Studs

#4 - Sterling Silver Bangle Bracelet / Sterling Silver              Chain Necklace 

#5 - Genuine Pearls

(Matching Set -18" - 20" Necklace, Earrings,                  Bracelet)

#6 - Genuine Pearl "Opera Length Necklace"

#7 - 14KT Diamond Stud Earring 

#8 - 14KT Diamond Hoop Earring

#9 - 14KT Diamond Pendant

#10 - Leather  "Winter Gloves" Cashmere Lined 

#11 - Winter "Cashmere Scarf"

#12 - Leather Handbags...Get the "Best Quality" you             can afford...It will last you a "Lifetime" 

***Always match your Shoes with your Handbag!

#13 - Silk Scarves / Several

#13 - Beautiful  / Quality. ...Bras / Undies