Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which Staple wardrobe items should a woman have?

@on the bay, I have the same problem with outgrowing my garments. I have pieces that I am determined to wear again. I refuse to buy the next size up. That means I've given in to the new size.
*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Well fitting bras are right up there. They are called foundations for a reason.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis, I just want you to know....that with your "name" on here, I find that I keep saying "it is what it is" more often. Your name is my new quote habit. Out loud! LOL

Honored Contributor

I like a good pair of black pants, I do like the look of a good jacket too.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

@itiswhatitis----I'm thinking - underpants & bras, first and foremost.------------tedEbear

These items are some women prefer to go without (many women can and do).  I mean other staples that one can put together to be ready for any ocassion.

And many women THINK they can......... 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It varies according to what kind of schedule a person has.  How does she have to dress for work?  Does she work?  What are her common activities?  There are no absolutes, although I suppose a nice basic handbag would be pretty universal.

Esteemed Contributor

For me I think the wardrobe starter set or staple items should be a good fitting pair of jeans; black slacks; black dress or skirt; black sweater (I'm really thinking turtleneck, but relaize some don't wear them); cardigan; and a blazer.  The cardigan and the blazer can be print, plaid brighter color.  Since they will be worn with neutral bottoms and tops they can be used as a pizazz item.  A nice scarf should be in there somewhere.  If the woman wears jewelry at leaset one of: a pair of earrings, bracelet, and versatile necklace (a length which works with multiple necklines, so not too long nor a choker length) is good to have. A good pair of 2-to-3 inch heel black pumps can go a long way in a wardrobe. I also think a simple flat or loafer is a must have.  

These days the handbag isn't as critical as it used to be.  There are some places where women won't have handbags-- such as at an NFL game.  

Honored Contributor

For me ... if I have a bunch of black pants, black and white turtlenecks, indigo jeans, black shoes and tan shoes, a couple of black coats.

Add a watch, stud earrings and white metal chains ... and a supply of accessories... I'm set for life.

Give me a room full of yarn and knitting needles and crochet hooks .... I'm all set for all the knitwear I'll ever need.

(Actually ... all of the above already exist in my apartment.  Other than socks and underwear, I may never have to shop again. ) :womanwink:

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

It varies according to what kind of schedule a person has.  How does she have to dress for work?  Does she work?  What are her common activities?  There are no absolutes, although I suppose a nice basic handbag would be pretty universal.

@Ms X

ITA .....    How one dresses for work is really a key question.   Of course, there are others.

Unlike some women here, I don't even own a pair of jeans anymore ....  too hot in my climate.  No one wants to put on clothes that make you sweat!

Honored Contributor

I was thinking just the other day if anything happened to my 77 year old boss (lawyer) I'm screwed!

I'm sitting here in bermudas and (nice) tee!

Woman Surprised