Respected Contributor

JMHO, it's kind of like seeing people overdoing. Unnecessary overdoing. This can happen in all areas of life, but it seems to be a growing issue with women in a competitive world, where beauty is powerful. 

Sometimes self pressured, or feeling pressured by others to fit into certain trends, or to look younger. Sometimes trying to attract, or please partners, or to receive more attention at work, or to exhibit signs of wealth. Wealth they may not have. 

But, this often backfires. I have known many ladies who were beautiful without trying so hard. Seeing them on a day with minimal makeup and casual clothes, they look their most attractive. 

Wanting to look nice, while being authentic, and trying too hard, are two different things. TTH is more excessive and often just sets up unrealistic goals.

Trusted Contributor

To me, trying too hard is the opposite of effortless. I prefer to project a more subtle image even if it took me 2 hrs to put my look together. My mom was actually the one who introduced me to that concept when I was a teenager. In other words I try to look like I didn't try too hard to look my best.

Honored Contributor

Trying too hard: photos of yourself(selfies) on the forum wearing outfits you have put together.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Trying too hard? My definition is when an aging woman goes on Facebook or Instagram and uses photo shop on every area of their body and shows up wearing a bikini at 70. Woman Surprised

@Trinity11 

Wow ... ITA.   

I guess that "trying too hard" usually means too contrived to look well put together.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to Hard

[ Edited ]

I think it is overthinking a situation.  You are trying too hard to pass a judgement on something that needs none.

Esteemed Contributor

I've heard this phrase many times. One that comes to mind is a friend who would always "go overboard" no matter what it involves. She is a people pleaser.  In other words, a simple lunch with 6 friends turns into a four course dinner. Later most of them would say "she's trying too hard" but of course not to her face.

Honored Contributor

Photos of yourself on the forum.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.