Super Contributor

I've heard this term forever... but I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to mean?  Does it mean 1) trying to look younger?  2)  trying to look like have expensive clothes? 3) Looking like I'm not *put together* lol  4) not over the top? (whatever that means)    idk -     I guess I try to look nice, updated and somewhat in fashion and I'm older -  so maybe I"m trying to hard!   Everyone has their style.  

Honored Contributor

@LillyBee2 - I'm sure you're not trying too hard, and because you're aware of how you look, I'm sure you look just perfect! You look nice, updated, and in  fashion - that's how we all want to look!

I always thought "trying too hard" meant trying to be something you're not, or trying to look like someone you're not. 

One example that comes to mind for me is this. I was standing in line behind someone who was wearing joggers with "pink" written across her rear end, and a halter top that was cropped. It might look cute on someone in her 20's that had the right figure for it, but she was probably in her 50's or 60's and a tad overweight. IMO she was dressing to look like someone younger.

I do believe anyone should wear anything she wants, but I think we know what looks good on us and what is age or occasion appropriate.   Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Whenever I am out and see someone like the woman you described I think of my grandmother.  When we would see someone who was completely unaware of how 

they looked she would say " When she looked in the mirror today she said "That's it!

That looks good!  Let's go!" 

I still chuckle when I think of her!

Respected Contributor

@LillyBee2 yes,all of above

Super Contributor

@beach-mom Thank you for the kind words - I appreciate it. I kinda thought the same thing so I feel a little better.    Going thru a rough patch (my mom lives with me and is ill)   and the last year or so  lost a little weight and wanted to feel better about myself.  Trying some new clothes etc..  

Trusted Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

Whenever I am out and see someone like the woman you described I think of my grandmother.  When we would see someone who was completely unaware of how 

they looked she would say " When she looked in the mirror today she said "That's it!

That looks good!  Let's go!" 

I still chuckle when I think of her!

@781Florist  That made me laugh. I had an Italian grandmother, my mom's. When she would see someone not dressed up to par, or "trying to hard" she would say they looked like minestra.

My grandma cooked minestra once a week and threw in all the veg and left over meats she had before it went bad. LOL

It's true, some people dress with everything they own and it doesn't look good or impress anyone.

Thanks for the memory of my grandma. She was a hoot.

Honored Contributor

@LillyBee2 Maybe you are confused about the meaning because it is important to identify what is it that you are trying too hard to achieve; a relationship, a job, financial stability, etc. So it can have many meanings.   You seemed to have focused in on fashion and your concern is about looking stylish. 

Your wanting to look nice implies healthy self-esteem.

You suggest that you want to be updated and fashionable which suggests self-worth.

I think that trying too hard implies desperation.  Your remarks are healthy and admirable, not desperate.  No you do not seem to be trying too hard.  Enjoy your love of fashion, have fun with your clothes, and feel free to express your style!  

Honored Contributor

From an on-line dictionary:

• "Trying too hard - definition. This occurs when someone attempts to prove how they possess a perceived desirable quality by over-exerting themselves which results in the quality appearing unnatural and contrived.Generally, the response to this action is negative and has the opposite effect."

However, I don't think I've heard that phrase since high school.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

see thread above

what is she wearing

Honored Contributor

@LillyBee2 ..............I too have  never understood what it meant.  When I have heard it it has been in relation with women commenting on someones appearence.  My interpretation was they were being mean, jealous and trying to put it politely.  IMO its not a compliment.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)