Honored Contributor

Re: Stark White Pants In Winter?

I don't ever wear white pants in winter.  Only in the summer months.  If I lived in a warm climate like Florida maybe I would wear them.  I wear winter white or cream at times but that is seldom.  Nobody in my neck of the woods wears white pants in winter.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I know the rules have changed and seeing stark white clothes in the winter doesn't bother me like it used to. I'm OK with it.  However, I'd never wear white in winter myself because I would hear my late mother's voice in my head, "not after Labor Day!"

So, there ya go.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

I never wear white pants, I'm never sure what's showing, if you know what I mean.    Sometimes it's not obvious until you get outside in daylight.

I wear mostly darker colors or medium shades in highly saturated colors.

Plus I am owned by a black lab.   Black labs & white pants don't mix!

Ha! Our son had 2 lovely pale yellow Labs...I can remember him saying "oh no,you didn't wear black pants OVER HERE!!?"  Light Labs and black pants don't mix either @software 🐕

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Somewhere along the line, someone decided (probably a man) that white pants shouldn't be worn in the winter... and women, like sheep, made sure to follow the "rules"... as so many have continued to follow rules that the fashion industry dictates.

White is a color, like any other color. I'd sooner wear white pants in winter than purple or green pants, because I don't like purple or green pants -- not because anyone told me so. :-)

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry but I think stark white pants in the winter just look silly.  Plus, in places where it snows, they would be a mess.

Honored Contributor

Here in New England, beginning with the first snow or ice storm, there is a layer of sand/salt everywhere.  It doesn't really go away until they clean the streets in the spring.  This makes it difficult to wear anything light colored.  Even winter white is tricky on the lower half of the body.  By the time you get to where you're going, chances are you have a smudge on your clothing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here in Florida, white pants are acceptable year round.

White shorts and capris with sandals are worn by the snowbirds that think it is really warm at 60 degrees and they should wear the least amount of clothing possible and survive.

However, I would never wear them with a bulky sweater or an outerwear jacket. 

I think white pants and a black or navy top or any lacy top with sleeves looks very nice for almost any occasion. Even a light jacket that is part of the outfit is pretty. 

Esteemed Contributor

A thin summer fabric white pant, like Courtney was wearing, looks silly with a winter top and boots. There's a big difference between a light weight summer white and an off-white or cream pant with some fabric weight.